canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Title: Montgomery Co. ed board strips religious holiday references from new calendar
Category: Religion
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2014-11-12 11:55:17

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Or to put it another way...

Suburban DC school district takes Christmas off calendar after Muslims complain

$1:
ROCKVILLE, Md. - Christmas is now just December 25th in the Montgomery County school district.

how-the-grinch-stole-christmas2The suburban DC district stripped Christmas and Jewish holy holidays from its official calendar after Muslim parents complained.

But that's not good enough as they say the move does nothing to gain parity and a day off for the Muslim holiday of Eid, according to WTOP.

"Equality is really what we're looking for," Saqib Ali, co-chair of Equality for Eid, says. "Simply saying we're not going to call this Christmas, and we're not going to call this Yom Kippur, and still closing the schools, that"' not equality."

CAIR isn't happy either.

"What's really concerning to us is that similar conditions weren't placed on any other faith community," a representative of the group, Zainab Chaudry, says, the station reports.

The district is attempting to decouple the breaks from school and religious holidays by calling them "winter break" and "student holidays."

But school board member Michael Durso says unless the Muslim's complaints aren't addressed, "it comes off as insensitive, and I just think we cannot afford to be in that light."

According to NBC 4, school employee Samira Hussein has campaigned for 20 years to have the Muslim holiday added to the school calendar.

"The Eid is just the same exact as Christmas day or Easter day or Yom Kippur," she says.

School representatives note absenteeism isn't much different on the Muslim holidays.

"The absentee rate on the Eid holidays, when they've fallen on a school day, haven't been considerably higher or lower than it is on any other given day," spokesman Dana Tofig tells the news station.

The Washington Post reports the board 7-1 to stop recognizing the Christian and Jewish holidays.

"This seems the most equitable option," said board member Rebecca Smondrowski, who proposed the idea, according to the paper.

http://eagnews.org/suburban-dc-school-d ... -complain/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:30 pm

Time to put a stop to this PC garbage...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:52 pm

$1:
"Equality is really what we're looking for," Saqib Ali, co-chair of Equality for Eid, says.

No, you don't you goat humping POS. You want to silence and intimidate everyone else into being subservient to your filthy, evil, worship of your blood god. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:55 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
$1:
"Equality is really what we're looking for," Saqib Ali, co-chair of Equality for Eid, says.

No, you don't you goat humping POS. You want to silence and intimidate everyone else into being subservient to your filthy, evil, worship of your blood god. :evil:

$1:
But that's not good enough as they say the move does nothing to gain parity and a day off for the Muslim holiday of Eid, according to WTOP

I gotta ask, does the US consider Yom Kippur or any other Jewish holiday to be a national stat holiday?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:02 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
I gotta ask, does the US consider Yom Kippur or any other Jewish holiday to be a national stat holiday?

Nope.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:15 pm

Why the fuck are we in North America catering to immigrant assholes who, because of their belief in a warped fucking religion think they're entitled to change the religious practices and morals of everyone they encounter.

My mistake it isn't the Muslim's who wanted Christmas cancelled it was the white liberals with their white liberal guilt and incessant need to impose nation wide self flagellation who are the cause of this debacle.

Congratulations Rebecca Smondrowski you fucking politically correct liberal piece of human offal and as they say in the countries you love so much. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your unshaven armpits. :evil:

Then only thing the Muslims are guilty of in this case is wanting another stat holiday which makes them pretty much like every other working person or kid. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:34 pm

It's getting extremely easy to automatically assume that in a case of extreme cowardice in the face of Islam a local school board is going to be at the centre of it all. This is why local elections are usually the most important ones of all. Put the wrong people on school boards and city/town councils and this sort of gutlessness is inevitably what you end up getting. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:09 pm

Tack on a few stats, I'm game. A Jewish one, a Muslim one and a Hindu one. Or do what they did when I went to school in a predominantly Ukrainian area, allow the students to miss school. That's what happened on Orthodox Christmas.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:10 pm

Good for them. You have this religious holiday nonsense in govt institutions, and you've got to start accommodating all the other religions. I just wish the Wiccans would demand their day.

What's funny is that when I was in Colorado, I asked about Easter holiday, and was pityingly informed (those rube Canadians and all) that they don't have religious holidays in the US, ie there is no Easter holiday. I didn't bother to get into why then there was Christmas, but really, all they have to do is remove that one day and it's all good, no religious holidays for you. Or, let's throw it wide open, have a day of the year that celebrates any religion that steps forward and demands one. Also one for atheists, and one for agnostics. Then make it like the political system, which is like religion anyway. You have to declare your religion, and only get to take the one day a year off that corresponds to it. It would be good. Less shopping madness for Christmas, more people willing to work that day because it's not theirs, etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:34 am

andyt andyt:
Good for them. You have this religious holiday nonsense in govt institutions, and you've got to start accommodating all the other religions.

Uhhhh no. A handful of people in proportion to an entire country does not need to be accommodated with special days off. Hell man, there's more Chinese here than any other "recent" immigrant group and I don't hear them whining about making Chinese New Year a stat holiday.

The rest of your idea is borked. We have 3 stat holidays because of the Christian culture and you want to turn that into just one stat holiday?
Do you have a job? Have you ever had a job? Or maybe you just don't like spending time with your family?

Hell, let's get into full blown accommodation here and rename all of our potentially offensive holidays and "holidays".
Valentine's Day - scrap it altogether. It's offensive to people who are single and dateless besides being some made up crap to try and make up for the massive post-Christmas sales slump.

Easter - scrap it. It's a stupid floating holiday and obviously offensive to idiots who just can't be glad they have a 3-4 day weekend. Make the first day of spring a holiday and call it "Spring Day".

Victoria Day - change the name because it might offend anyone who isn't of British heritage. Call it what everyone calls it, "The May two-four weekend", who cares why it's a holiday.

Canada Day - MUST undergo a name change to suit the fucking clods who have a problem with singing our national anthem in our schools. We sure wouldn't want to be all offend-y by reminding people that THIS IS Canada!

Labour Day - needs a name change. It's offensive to the chronically unemployed.

Thanksgiving - needs a name change. Don't want religion creeping into anything at all in case andy gets his Underoos in a bunch. I say call it "Turkey Day", who the hell cares why it's a holiday anyway.

Christmas - Well, if you can't see what's so offensive about the holiday just by the name then yer just some Bible thumpin', young earth Creationist, Jesus freak.
I suggest calling it "Turkey Day Two".
Oh wait, would "Turkey Day" be offensive to vegans? Ok, we can call Thanksgiving "Harvest Day" or some such crap and call Christmas "Spendover". Might as well call it what it's become.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:16 pm

I'd rep you for that post PA9 but the system won't let me.

... Spendover... :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Strutz Strutz:

Got that covered for you. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:54 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Strutz Strutz:

Got that covered for you. :wink:

Thanks Bart! [B-o]

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:22 pm

$1:

That's really nice, maybe when the Muslim population in Montgomery County or Maryland itself rises above the 1% level to closer to 50% they would have an argument, but nowhere I know of kowtows to the wishes of 1% of it's citizens.