Category: Science
Posted By: Regina
Date: 2015-07-22 07:40:54
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:47 am

this isn't new, it's always been Co2 emissions from the warm bodies that they used to annoy the shit our of you. So can we all please stop the BS of, eat bananas or garlic and they won't bite you shit?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 am

Sounds like a 50's revival - it's been known forever that co2 attracts mozzies. apparently over long distances too. But, some people seemingly do get bitten more than others. If i took mega doses of b complex I seemed to get less bites. Otoh, it may just be the reaction to the bite is less. They say it takes 1000 bites for your body to stop reacting to the saliva the mozzies inject in you.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:10 am

somehow I doubt what you ingest would affect the rate at which your lungs exchange gases. hence, it's all BS!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:17 am

I've also heard people claim their blood type has an effect on how often you get bit. Nutty.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:04 pm

If mosquitoes don't use odors other than just co2, explain why deet works. They are still attracted to the person by the co2 emitted, but don't bite. Same with citronella.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:21 pm

andyt andyt:
They say it takes 1000 bites for your body to stop reacting to the saliva the mozzies inject in you.

I can't see that being true for all mosquitos, maybe a certain breed but we have something like 20-30 different breeds in Canada and I KNOW I've been bitten well over 1,000 times just in the last couple of years.

I also spent over 10 years in Winnipeg so I probably got near a billion mosquito bites in that time! :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:24 pm

apparently you have to keep on being bitten to have immunity, and it only works for some. I certainly noticed when I spent a lot of time in the woods, mosquitoes stopped bothering me, and I only used deet when they were really bad and I was staying in one place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:32 pm

andyt andyt:
apparently you have to keep on being bitten to have immunity, and it only works for some. I certainly noticed when I spent a lot of time in the woods, mosquitoes stopped bothering me, and I only used deet when they were really bad and I was staying in one place.

I think if you're in such a bad area, and can't/won't leave that area that you eventually stop noticing. I also noticed that mosquito bites in Ontario tend to raise little inflammation but itch for a long time but in western Canada they swell more but stop itching fairly quickly.