Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:57 pm

1986. Out of Africa beats Color Purple.

Out of Africa might be tied with English Patient in a contentious field for the Oscar winner most likely to put you to sleep award.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
1986. Out of Africa beats Color Purple.

Out of Africa might be tied with English Patient in a contentious field for the Oscar winner most likely to put you to sleep award.

I tried watching that with my wife and fell a sleep within 20 minutes!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Same here. I hear the black Oscar winners Crash and 12 years a slave might be contenders for that Insomnia cure award themselves.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:05 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
Same here. I hear the black Oscar winners Crash and 12 years a slave might be contenders for that Insomnia cure award themselves.

Crash was a high energy action flick compared to Out of Africa! 8O

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:22 pm

"Not Nominated" :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:29 pm

andyt andyt:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:
$1:
That's not racism on the studios part it's what the market is.

Catering to that market's racism is still racist.

I dunno. Some black actors seem to be in movies that get huge white audiences. How is people going to movies they like vs ones they don't racist? I really liked In the Heat of the Night and A Soldier's Story, both by Norman Jewison. Denzel Washington has been in many movies I enjoyed a lot. And I think I'm in the majority here - so how is that racist?

I was talking about the Chinese poster in the comment above regarding racism.

But to your point, of course white audiences will watch movies with a black lead in it but you miss the bigger picture. More on that in a moment. Movies like the colour purple, 12 years a slave, those are movies about black people where they script requires a black actor. But what about movies where the character could be any race? Almost always a white person. Think about it, when was the last time you saw a romance or romantic comedy where both the leading male and the leading female actors "just happened to be" non-white? Or even the more verbotten black man with white woman? When was the last time you saw a sit-com with more than 1 ethnic main character? Denzel hismelf long complained about this, he would get told "Sorry, this movie is about a couple that meets and falls in love, not about a Black couple that meets and falls in love." But he and Morgan Freeman and a few others are a select few Black people who have since risen to "non-racial" status. But most other Black actors - and almost all asian, east indian, etc. still have to play "ethnic" characters - almost always sidekicks - if they want to work at all.

And it's not just about race either. Movies often have ridiculously old men with ridiculously young love interests. Maggie Gyllenhal: "I’m 37 and I was told recently I was too old to play the lover of a man who was 55. It was astonishing to me. It made me feel bad, and then it made me feel angry, and then it made me laugh.”

There's a long list of movies like that, like action movie Unforgiving with Liam Neeson (age 58) "just happens" to be paired with January Jones, (age 33). It's never the other way around with a man whose wife just happens to be significantly older, unless the movie is specifically about that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:34 pm

$1:
Stunt casting remains stunt casting, no matter how much anyone wants to make it seem more than it really is.

I'm not advocating for stunt casting. I'm saying minorities as it currently stands, are often deliberately screened out - not given the part because they don't want a non-white in the role. I'm saying races shouldn't be screened out at all. You guys are all acting as if all casting is currently colour blind and non-whites have just as much chance as whites, but that's often not the case.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Well there was a movie with a white guy falling in love with a black girl.

"The Bodyguard"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:40 pm

12% black is fair. American films would have about that. Might be a little more.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:51 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Well there was a movie with a white guy falling in love with a black girl.

"The Bodyguard"

And what about on TV?

R/ichonne, Baby!!! 8O

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:21 pm

In fairness, Michionne is in a class all by herself. I don't see race with either the character or the actress...I just see badass. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:24 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
In fairness, Michionne is in a class all by herself. I don't see race with either the character or the actress...I just see badass. :wink:

True enough but she's as ugly as a can of smashed assholes! PDT_Armataz_01_32

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 am

What a bunch of whining. Here's an idea. If you want recognition so badly, try actually contributing something positive to the world. Running around playing make believe in fantasy land is nothing that deserves recognition. The Oscars are nothing but a huge circle jerk of self-entitled, self-important goofs anyway. If I want to watch a bunch of self-entitled, self-important goofs circle jerking, I can watch CPAC, it's on more than once a year.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:03 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
The reason Hollywood movies are so white is because white people don't want to watch movies with non-white leads. There are a few exceptions like Denzel and Sam Jackson, but they are usually the ONLY non-white lead in the movie, if you have more than one, it becomes an "ethnic" movie.

Also, movies are now made to sell globally and non-whites don't sell well overseas, especially in places like China. Look at the Star Wars poster, for example. They shrank the black guy for Chinese version

And they got rid of Chewbacca altogether. Probably ended up on some menu in a Chinese restaurant. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:09 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
What a bunch of whining. Here's an idea. If you want recognition so badly, try actually contributing something positive to the world. Running around playing make believe in fantasy land is nothing that deserves recognition. The Oscars are nothing but a huge circle jerk of self-entitled, self-important goofs anyway. If I want to watch a bunch of self-entitled, self-important goofs circle jerking, I can watch CPAC, it's on more than once a year.

R=UP

Will Smith being paid $20m for "Wild Wild West" said it all.