canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:35 am

Title: Muslim Canadians increasingly proud of and attached to Canada, survey suggests
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2016-04-27 06:15:29
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:35 am

I wonder what it is that makes younger Muslims the most religious. It would be interesting to contrast that to younger non-Muslims. Are they also more religious than older ones?

And there's the potential problem. At lot of the Western jihadis feel alienated from Western society and think they are righting a wrong against Muslims with terrorism. Some of ours have expressed similar sentiments. Basically it seems to be teenage angst that finds a very dangerous expression. But this also makes the venom expressed at Muslims, the discrimination 30% said they have experienced, so dangerous. Can just drive some into violence. Although I bet a survey of First Nations would find they reported even higher levels of discrimination.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:58 am

andyt andyt:
I wonder what it is that makes younger Muslims the most religious. It would be interesting to contrast that to younger non-Muslims. Are they also more religious than older ones?

Well, I'm glad you asked! There just happens to be a second part of the survey that asked those questions too.

$1:
Some experts suggest that's because young Muslim Canadians feel a strong societal pressure to have to answer for violence perpetrated by extremists in the name of Islam and are struggling to reclaim their Muslim identity for themselves.

Among young respondents who said their citizenship and their faith were important parts of their identity, 61 per cent said being Muslim was the most important part of their identity and six per cent said being Canadian was the most important. Twenty-six per cent said both were important.

$1:
"On the one hand, you have people in certain parts of the world that are calling themselves Muslim and doing horrific actions … on the other, you have Canadians making conclusions based on that," Moustaqim-Barrette said.

"It's a hard place for a young Muslim to be in."

The pressure to answer for violent attacks carried out by Muslim perpetrators has driven some young Muslims to pull away from their faith and others to try to recapture it, said University of Toronto political science lecturer Katherine Bullock.

$1:
"To be Canadian — or at least this is what they tells us — is to be proud of multiculturalism, and that would mean embracing your Muslimness," he said.

Siddique agrees: "I don't see any conflict. I'm a Muslim. I'm Canadian. I'm proud to be both."

On the whole the survey revealed older and younger Muslim Canadians were divided on the question of their identity. In the 60 and older age group, almost twice as many respondents said they feel Canadian first than in the 18-34 age group, despite most of the older respondents being immigrants.

$1:
Behbahani thinks that's likely because older generations still remember the difficult circumstances they left behind when coming to Canada.

"I feel like because they've had to earn it, they perhaps identify more as Canadian than Muslim," she said.

As part of the survey, non-Muslim Canadians were also asked how proud they are of their Canadian identity, but fewer of them said they were proud to be Canadian.

$1:
"As a population made up mostly of immigrants (many having arrived in the past decade), Muslims truly stand out as being among the most enthusiastic group of Canadian patriots," the survey found.

Kanji worries that that greater degree of patriotism actually points to a disturbing phenomenon.

"I really do think it's a product of the tremendous pressure that's been placed on the Muslim Canadian community to declare itself not a fifth column in Canada … to prove itself loyal," Kanji said.

"Are we constantly asking other communities to prove their patriotism?"

$1:
"We've constantly been made to respond to these attacks and the assumptions about us and our identities," she said.
Muslim survey graphic 2

But paradoxically, she says, the pressure to dispel stereotypes about being Muslim has forced her to learn more about Canadian laws and polices -- making her a more engaged citizen as a result.

"As we've learned more about ourselves, we've also learned more about what our society stands for," she said. "So, in a way we've become more Canadian."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/environic ... -1.3551465

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:01 am

The pictures and videos of young Muslim males who went to Syria and Iraq with ecstatic looks on their faces as they hold up a freshly severed human head to a camera probably doesn't help with their public image very much.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:08 am

andyt andyt:

And there's the potential problem. At lot of the Western jihadis feel alienated from Western society and think they are righting a wrong against Muslims with terrorism. Some of ours have expressed similar sentiments. Basically it seems to be teenage angst that finds a very dangerous expression. But this also makes the venom expressed at Muslims, the discrimination 30% said they have experienced, so dangerous. Can just drive some into violence. Although I bet a survey of First Nations would find they reported even higher levels of discrimination.

Social media plays a huge role in inspiring young Muslims to become very religious with the desire to join Jihad.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:22 am

BRAH BRAH:
andyt andyt:

Social media plays a huge role in inspiring young Muslims to become very religious with the desire to join Jihad.

$1:
79 per cent believe it important for Muslim communities to work with government agencies to address radicalization.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:48 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:
andyt andyt:

$1:
79 per cent believe it important for Muslim communities to work with government agencies to address radicalization.

The West is losing the propaganda war against radicalization.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:54 am

BRAH BRAH:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
$1:

Considering that statistic, I'd say we were winning it. Canadian Muslims aren't buying the Jihadi bullshit, and are perfectly willing to turn in their own in order to express that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:04 am

BRAH BRAH:

How would one even go about proving such a ridiculous assertion?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BRAH BRAH:

Considering that statistic, I'd say we were winning it. Canadian Muslims aren't buying the Jihadi bullshit, and are perfectly willing to turn in their own in order to express that.

Lemmy Lemmy:
BRAH BRAH:

How would one even go about proving such a ridiculous assertion?

The West is losing the propaganda war against online radicalization, that's a fact.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:08 am

Prove it. If it's a fact, that should be easy.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:10 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Prove it. If it's a fact, that should be easy.

I proved you're blind as Stevie Wonder.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:12 am

You did, did you?

You proved one thing, the same thing you prove every time you click "submit": that you're an idiot.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:16 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
You did, did you?

You proved one thing, the same thing you prove every time you click "submit": that you're an idiot.

How else do you think young Muslims such as in Calgary are finding their way to to Syria to fight for ISIS? The Terrorists in Brussels, Paris, the Boston bombers. They're recruited through online radicalization a war the West is losing submit that you blind idiot.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 am

BRAH BRAH:
Lemmy Lemmy:
You did, did you?

How else do you think young Muslims such as in Calgary are finding their way to to Syria to fight for ISIS? The Terrorists in Brussels, Paris, the Boston bombers. They're recruited through online radicalization a war the West is losing submit that you blind idiot.

Those guys from Calgary weren't recruited online.