Getting near the big 20g in posts Doc. [B-o] [B-o] [B-o]

It's called time served.

I don't need an excuse for hanging out with you reprobates for 10 years! [B-o]

One day I might get parole . . . [door]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:37 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
If you want to challenge my premises I will accept it. Calling me delusional or minimizing the experience that my wife and I have had bothers me immensely and I will respond in kind.

I didn't call you delusional nor anything else. But seeing fictional conspiracies certainly fits that definition. Mostly I'm questioning your grasp of economics.

There have been a few discussion forums in Canada that have gone by the way side. Even one prominent one that tried to avoid Canadian inference by operating their servers in the U.S, a country with a much stronger belief in free speech and freedom of pursuits for its citizens. All because they were Conservative in nature, sort of how Fox news is not readily available on your basic cable package but CNN is...

Considering the fact that the next U.S president in all likelihood is going to have an agenda that isn't too supportive of our interests, Canadian democracy and accountability is going to have to grow up real fast.

That was a relatively lucid rant, but it's a rant nonetheless.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:23 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:
where are all the green thumpers now?

[huh]

"Thumpers?"

I wasn't a big fan of NAFTA for many reasons, and the PCB and PTE cases were prime examples. As was UPS vs Canada Post. NAFTA and the TPP both seem to put profit and companies ahead of citizens and their well being.

The RCMP and every other security apparatus in Canada put "profit" and self benefit over citizen and well being all the time. You should show the same disdain for these abuses. Ralph Goodales email is easy to find.

Economically we are a small nation, we rely on trade since we refuse to innovate or push forward economic liberties. Billions of trade a day cross over the U.S/Canadian border, what will happen to our economy without NAFTA?

15th largest economy in the world. but sure, lets call us small potatoes...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:48 am

quote]

15th largest economy in the world. but sure, lets call us small potatoes...[/quote]

When America becomes isolationist and/or has a reason not to trust us as an honest broker, who will we sell our goods and services to? Other than Rubio and a couple of others on the GOP side, Canada is going to be facing a very tough and very different president in 2016.

Again, a treasonous few in Canada have stabbed Canada in the back. They care little as there are not personal consequences.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:25 am

we can exchange them for all that dirty corrupt dictator oil ONT and Qc buy, they can just load up the same tanker with it for the return trip.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:09 pm

The U.S government recently lost a Supreme Court decision regarding environmental protection. I, like most, think it is an important issue, but as Harper and other leaders have stated, no government will undermine their economy solely for environmental considerations.

The fact is, Canada has never been an honest broker nor someone who has abided by the NAFTA agreement that we negotiated in good faith. I imagine we would be just as derelict in our adherence to any TPP provisions.

No they didn't. Implementation of a policy has been temporarily delayed until the SC can make a Judgment on it.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:41 am

Chapter 11 essentially allows for large foreign companies and investors to do judicial activism against government policies they don't like.

Conservative activists have complained for years about the "Court Party"-the academics, activists and others who sponsor court challenges to government laws under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. They complain about these issues being taken out of Parliament, and away from elected, accountable public officials, and into the hands of unelected, unaccountable judges.

The catch, though, is that those unelected judges also have a role outlined in the Constitution, and they also have various safeguards on their authority, including having appointments screened by elected officials and the notwithstanding clause in the Constitution, which enables elected officials to override a lot of court decisions on rights. The elected officials use it very sparingly, of course, but it's there.

On the other hand, the tribunals under Chapter 11 and other investor-state dispute settlement systems have no Constitutional role for their actions, there is no way for us as the public to hold them accountable, there are no real safeguards against their decisions, and to my knowledge they are not screened by elected officials. And again, these foreign entities can use lawsuits, or even just the threat of lawsuits under ISDS to deter elected officials from doing the jobs they were elected to do, and using their powers under the Constitution.

These issues are again, taken out of the realm of elected officials and legislatures, but this time with far fewer Constitutional safeguards and far less accountability or oversight.

I still can't quite fathom why those complaining about judicial activism have a problem when their fellow Canadians in the Court Party do it, but don't seem to have any problem when foreigners do it.