canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Title: Nanaimo woman wins court challenge over forced breathalyzer test hours after driving | Globalnews.ca
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2019-05-29 22:38:18
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:46 pm

Well now we know how this idiotic law is going to play out. Every time someone is charged with impaired while sitting at home there'll be a trial and a subsequent acquittal. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:41 pm

This law is going to be turfed as un-enforceable. It is a clear violation of basic civil rights. In order to charge a person, cops have to put them at the scene of the "crime". Sitting on your living room couch watching TV is NOT an impaired driving scene.

I knew it would be challenged and beat at the first opportunity.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:10 am

Yeah this law is too dumb.

It was meant to address issues that came up in cases- including one with a drunk-driving RCMP officer - where the drunk driver flees the scene of an accident then purposely drinks afterward so that they can claim they only got drunk after the accident. When the government introduced this law, they said it would only be for those kind of situations, where they had substantial reason to believe drunk driving had occurred, for example an accident and the license plate of the vehicle fleeing the scene. Which sounds reasonable.

We don’t know what lead the cops to this woman, but once again this looks like overzealous cops misusing the law simply because they have a new legal toy to play with.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:53 am

BeaverFever wrote:
Yeah this law is too dumb.

It was meant to address issues that came up in cases- including one with a drunk-driving RCMP officer - where the drunk driver flees the scene of an accident then purposely drinks afterward so that they can claim they only got drunk after the accident.

I had an idiot do that after he hit my car while it was parked in my buddy's driveway. He fled the scene on foot so I crawled into his car to find anything with his name and address on it. Well, I found what I was looking for plus $500 in cash which became mine. :lol: