Posted By: wildrosegirl
Date: 2010-09-22 18:29:07
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:21 pm

B. F. D.

No good TV shows available that I could find on a cursory search (Glee, Top Gear, Lost); none of the good, older movies that have been reccomended to me recently (Heat, Inside Job, and the actually relatively recent Step Brothers).

I was REALLY hoping to be able to legally watch some hard/annoying-to-find fare for a reasonable price, but all I get is the same shitty seletion that I get on iTunes and online through the PS3 (neither of those had Heat or Inside Job, and Step Brothers was only in SD - I can go up the street and rent the Blu-Ray for the same price).

Thanks for nothing, Netflix.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:28 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:

8 bucks a month for unlimited downloads. It's not a bad start until they get some better shows. Maybe now companies like Shaw and Rogers will be more competitive with their VOD.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:46 pm

There's this service already offering the same thing in Canada, and they claim to have over 72000 available titles for rent.

The part about Blockbuster getting set to file for bankruptcy concerns me. Call me old school, but I much prefer just going to the store to rent and being able to return it myself two days later. At least that way I know I can (ahem) violate some copyright protections rather easily and be able to have something on hand for when I want to watch it again.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:31 pm

No worries about blockbuster they where always scum that edited their movies.

But we've already lost Movie Gallery and the last video rental store in town has supplemented it's business with pool tables and popcorn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:35 am

www.theonlydevice.com

if only one link opption then wait a few days till another link that first link/top link choice is a pay link the rest are free. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:31 am

Netflix apologizes on blog for PR stunt gone wrong

I'm still kinda stoked about this though. $7.99 a month isn't that bad for an on demand service. I'm not too concerned that the 'latest and greatest' are not stream as there are tones of shows that I would love to see on my own time but never got into because they are already 2-3 seasons in. Now I can. Example breaking bad would be a show I would watch on netflix. Also when it comes to movies there are the movie channels bundles that comes with cable but I find they play the same 6 movies for a month and I hardly ever see one I care to see in rotation. To see it I have to pay on demand almost as much as netflix costs for a month.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Netflix boss hopes that Americans will not notice that Canadians are getting the same service for cheaper.

$1:
THR: American services when they enter the Canadian market typically charge the locals more than they charge stateside. Why the discount for Canadians?

Hastings: We want to provide an incredible value for Canadians, and it's the lowest price we have anywhere in the world for unlimited screenings. And anyone can try it for free for a month. It's pretty addictive.

THR: Are you concerned that American Netflix subscribers will look north and ask for the same discount Canadians get at $7.99?

Hastings: How much has it been your experience that Americans follow what happens in the world? It's something we'll monitor, but Americans are somewhat self-absorbed.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con ... 1deec0fd2b

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 pm

Dragom Dragom:
No worries about blockbuster they where always scum that edited their movies.

Blockbuster is going bankrupt as of this week so their editing films will no longer be an issue. [B-o]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:35 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

8 bucks a month for unlimited downloads. It's not a bad start until they get some better shows. Maybe now companies like Shaw and Rogers will be more competitive with their VOD.

And with a free month, it's even better.

I signed up, given the free trial, and even with the mediocre selection, it's not a bad service. There's a LOT of kids' stuff on there, which makes my kid happy, and there is enough stuff on there I haven't seen or want to see again to justify keeping it for a while to see if the selection improves.

I retract my initial reaction.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:59 pm

The_Doctor The_Doctor:
Netflix boss hopes that Americans will not notice that Canadians are getting the same service for cheaper.

Not quite the "same service". Lesser service for cheaper. Not unreasonable to expect it.

$1:
While U.S. customers -- which now number more than 15 million -- also have the option of renting newer DVDs by mail from Netflix, that option will not be available in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

The_Doctor The_Doctor:

We're not getting the same service. Browse through the selection available in Canada and you won't see any new releases, and we don't have the option of getting the hard copy mailed to us. Even so, what does it matter if we do? It's not like the days of the 64 cent dollar.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:01 pm

There is DRM issues that netflix runs into. The movie industry has insisted that there can not be any digital release within 60 days or something like that. Thus giving them time to soak up the VOD profits. So that's not the cable companies fault it's the RIAA's.

Over time however the RIAA's revenue stream from traditional methods of controlling the market and gouging the consumer will be either undermined outright by consumers no longer showing up at the theaters or shelling out top coin for VOD and just waiting for it on nexflix or downloading a torrent on some other service.

It's no longer a legal issue, it's that the market is demanding a service and is being stymied by a monopoly that can not control digital downloads. The more people sign on to services like netflix the quicker the transition will be.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Selection is weak right now, but it's fairly decent quality. I'm sure it'll grow regularly, especially as people Sign up and Pay the Monthly Fee. There's enough MST3K movies on it to keep me happy for awhile. :D