Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
You've mislabeled which side of this debate is the narrow minded side.

Not really, I'd rather be a British subject than a Venezuelan subject.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:04 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Lemmy Lemmy:
You've mislabeled which side of this debate is the narrow minded side.

Not really, I'd rather be a British subject than a Venezuelan subject.

How did Venezuela come into this?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
I'm no royalist but why break with tradition just to pacify the narrow minded among us.

If you want to maintain this tradition go for it, no skin off of my back as it were. However, an oath to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and to the security of Canada and it's citizens would be more appropriate. Speaking of the Charter, apparently a legal and binding document (great in theory as one lawyer told me); I hear more people complain about this document than anything else, including such *ahem*, "dignitaries" as Julien Fantino who was commissioner of the OPP and TPS. To me, this is far more insulting than someone who renounces an oath to the Queen.

He is seeking citizenship not public officer or even a government place of employment, he is not in any position of authority or requesting special privilege and/or powers (as say, a policeman would). Do local business and registered corporations need to swear an oath to the Queen? Are there consequences for anyone who takes an oath and abuses their authority to embarrass the Queen? If not, the oath has little value anyways.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Dictatorship versus.........

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
martin14 martin14:
What gives you the right to put up a door to keep people out ?

Really? I have to answer that?

martin14 martin14:
Either you believe in it, or you don't.

Which "it"? A country or a town is not a house. Seriously how do you twist "anyone should be able to choose where to live" into "then let them live in your house"?

martin14 martin14:
You're worse than a sinner, you're nothing but a hypocrite. :lol:

Because your original quote, Lemmy, was not directed at country, or a town but someone's personal property

"And the sign said, anybody caught trespassing would be shot on sight. So, I jumped on the fence and yelled at the house: "Hey, what gives you the right? To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in. If God was here, He'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner."

If you're going to misquote 60's classics to further your argument then why not Zager & Evans because we can't yet dispute their version of the year 2525. It'll give you a fighting chance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:07 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Seems to me that the state requiring a silly oath is the one with hallmarks of a dictatorship. All Hail, Dear Leader! All Hail!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:09 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:
Because your original quote, Lemmy, was not directed at country, or a town but someone's personal property

"And the sign said, anybody caught trespassing would be shot on sight. So, I jumped on the fence and yelled at the house: "Hey, what gives you the right? To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in. If God was here, He'd tell you to your face, man, you're some kinda sinner."

If you're going to misquote 60's classics to further your argument then why not Zager & Evans because we can't yet dispute their version of the year 2525. It'll give you a fighting chance.

Yeah, it was my fault that metaphor is lost on some folks.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
ccga3359 ccga3359:

A metaphor? Really so some words have meaning to you whilst others don't? 60's song lyrics are more important to you than an oath of allegiance?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
ccga3359 ccga3359:

If you read my post you'll notice that I got it and sorry guys but it was a 70's song not a 60's classic.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:50 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Lemmy Lemmy:
ccga3359 ccga3359:

If you read my post you'll notice that I got it and sorry guys but it was a 70's song not a 60's classic.

I was using the hippy dippy 60s as a metaphor for the no so hippy dippy 70s. I'm surprised you missed that .

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Canada and its Sovereign are one and the same; to renounce fidelity to one is to renounce fidelity to both.

If he's going to renounce fidelity to Canada, he should find somewhere else to live.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:02 pm

DanSC DanSC:
Canada and its Sovereign are one and the same; to renounce fidelity to one is to renounce fidelity to both.

If he's going to renounce fidelity to Canada, he should find somewhere else to live.

Why?
Permanent Residency is illegal now?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Seems to me that the state requiring a silly oath is the one with hallmarks of a dictatorship. All Hail, Dear Leader! All Hail!

Lemmy, just because you don't have a scintilla of loyalty in your heart doesn't mean that other people are likewise devoid of this virtue. Some people are indeed quite loyal to their country and they expect no less from people who wish to be a part of their country.

And where you are devoid of loyalty then it makes sense that you'd consider an oath to be of no significance.

For other people an oath is a public statement of their commitment in life.

Try to have a little empathy here and appreciate that not everyone sees the world as you do.

And before you say that I don't understand how other people have different views let me remind you that I have known people with different views over the years and I've also been fortunate enough to have survived those encounters.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Lemmy is not saying that the whole oath is nonsense.
Way to go there!

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:23 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Lemmy is not saying that the whole oath is nonsense.
Way to go there!

It is an oath. There cannot be "parts" of an oath, there can be a different oath. It is one statement

From the Government Of Canada website:

$1:
I swear (or affirm)
That I will be faithful
And bear true allegiance
To Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second
Queen of Canada
Her Heirs and Successors
And that I will faithfully observe
The laws of Canada
And fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.

Also from the same website this:

$1:
Understanding the Oath

In Canada, we profess our loyalty to a person who represents all Canadians and not to a document such as a constitution, a banner such as a flag, or a geopolitical entity such as a country. In our constitutional monarchy, these elements are encompassed by the Sovereign (Queen or King). It is a remarkably simple yet powerful principle: Canada is personified by the Sovereign just as the Sovereign is personified by Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/discover/section-01.asp