CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Called it...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:38 pm

And you'd have to be a genius to guess this fact??

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:39 pm

Not at all.

My suggestion was opposed when I 'called it', is all.

Last edited by Public_Domain on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:40 pm

Which side are you gonna pick Mr C?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm against North Korea and it's regime.
I side with South Korea for this.
I'd prefer there not be a war.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Not at all.

My suggestion was opposed when I 'called it', is all.

Not saying you're stupid, just that if there's a new war in the Koreas it's pretty obvious we're going to be dragged into it, one way or the other.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

How about this?

China steps in to defuse Korean war threat
$1:
Tomorrow the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington, with its 75 planes and crew of 6,000, will take part in massive naval war games.

North Korea has warned this will push the region to the brink of war and is threatening to launch fresh attacks if it is sufficiently provoked.

I agree with what you said, but I have no idea what the best course of action is. So I'm hoping the forum can convince me one way or the other.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:14 pm

$1:
North Korea’s fat little dictator can still be taught a lesson

Before everyone gets too excited about North Korea shelling a South Korean island 75 miles offshore from Seoul, there’s virtually no likelihood that such an aggressive act will escalate into war.

That may seem a foolhardy observation, given North Korea’s repeated aggressions against the South, and it’s record of violating every treaty or agreement it has ever signed.

By the same token, North Korea does not have a friend in the world.
China and Russia are allies of convenience, but their patience is stretched thin by the antics of ailing Kim Jong-il who seems not long for this world and has appointed his son, Kim Jong-un as his successor.

At the same time he has promoted his unpleasant daughter to the rank of Major-General. A dynasty in the making.

The last thing China wants is a war or a crisis on its border. Yet even China can’t harness Kim Jong-il’s rogue regime.

Last year, North Korea declared the 1953 ceasefire that ended the Korean war, was no longer valid. In other words, it felt free to attack, provoke, mischief-make at will, gambling that South Korea and the U.S. would swallow whatever indignities and outrages foisted on them.

Last March, as if in preparing for shelling the island of Yeonpeong that killed two and injured a couple of dozen, a North Korean torpedo sank a South Korean warship, the Cheoan, killing 46 sailors.

That in itself was a warlike act that demanded retaliation. But no. The world urged restraint, as it always does when North Korea needs its butt kicked.

Of course, North Korea is a dangerous country. It should be brought to heel, but is unlikely to be when the Western world is guided by the leaders now in charge. No Reagan or Thatcher on the horizon. Certainly not Obama who prefers to apologize rather than challenge.

North Korea has again reneged on nuclear agreements, and has revved up its nuclear weapons program. It yearns to be viewed as a nuclear power.

What western countries should do, is suspend all aid and commerce with North Korea, whose meager resources are funneled into the military – an army of some 1.2 million, a navy of 1,000 warships, an air force of 2,000 aircraft, plus a potential nuclear force.

All this at the expense of the people. Up to 800,000 North Koreans starve to death annually. Kim Jong-il is, arguably, the only fat chap in the north.

The U.S. and especially South Korea, send food to North Korea, which goes to the military, not the people. Proportionately, this country of 23 million has the biggest army in the world. So let’s stop feeding it. Maybe the generals will then revolt.

Despite its huge military, North Korea is vulnerable. It has no staying power – no oil or resources necessary to fight a war if China and Russia withhold support, as well they may. A big punch, but no follow through.

The last thing China wants is its erratic client state starting a war that would affect China’s economic relations with the U.S. Russia also has limited patience with the fruitcake regime.

So drawing a line in the sand and inflicting judicious punishment on North Korea when it behaves barbarously may be the only way to persuade Kim Jong-il that he is not Genghis Khan.

We should have done it long ago, but it’s never too late to educate dictators.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2010/11/24/peter-worthington-kim-jong-il-needs-to-be-taught-a-lesson/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Curtman Curtman:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

How about this?

China steps in to defuse Korean war threat
$1:
Tomorrow the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS George Washington, with its 75 planes and crew of 6,000, will take part in massive naval war games.

North Korea has warned this will push the region to the brink of war and is threatening to launch fresh attacks if it is sufficiently provoked.

I agree with what you said, but I have no idea what the best course of action is. So I'm hoping the forum can convince me one way or the other.

Holding war games isn't smart.

Of course NK attacking the Yanks would be their dumbest move.

I'm against Canada being involved in this or other wars right now...

North Korea is corrupt and it needs a new system. And I'd prefer that system not
be a puppet government of the US in some 'bring democracy' carpet bombing bid...
But resistance seems dead in North Korea, it's a horrific land, and I just don't
know what can be done any further to help the Korean people with such a government.
So I also am not sure what the best move forward should be.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:03 pm

News flash. We ARE involved and have been since the war began in 1950. Since the state of war has never been reconciled we are still there. This 'peace' is just a very long cease-fire, nothing more and war could go hot at any time.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:10 pm

"Mr_Canada" wrote:

$1:
Holding war games isn't smart.

Holding war games after an event of this kind of foolishness is smart. Both North Korea and China need to be reminded that this will not be tolerated.

$1:
Of course NK attacking the Yanks would be their dumbest move.

Agreed.

$1:
I'm against Canada being involved in this or other wars right now...

North Korea is corrupt and it needs a new system. And I'd prefer that system not
be a puppet government of the US in some 'bring democracy' carpet bombing bid...
But resistance seems dead in North Korea, it's a horrific land, and I just don't
know what can be done any further to help the Korean people with such a government.

Well, I'm no fan of war, but frankly, we also can't turn our back on South Korea. At some point war will be needed to end the NK threat if they do not implode or if China doesn't sort them out, which is just not in their self interest.

Ultimately, the showdown with North Korea is a surrogate showdown with China.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Hopefully China is more/less willing to cut the umbilical cord sometime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

I'd like to know how they manage this:

North Korea's Knack for Games Pays Off
$1:
Contracting with North Korean companies is legal under U.N. sanctions unless they are linked to the arms trade. While there is no data on how much revenue North Korea gets from software exports, some software development companies operating in the Hermit Kingdom have "hundreds or even thousands of staff each," according to Volker Eloesser, a German native who is among Nosotek's founders.

There's a lot of "western" people working there. Who in their right mind would take that job?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:22 pm

Curtman Curtman:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

I'd like to know how they manage this:

North Korea's Knack for Games Pays Off
$1:
Contracting with North Korean companies is legal under U.N. sanctions unless they are linked to the arms trade. While there is no data on how much revenue North Korea gets from software exports, some software development companies operating in the Hermit Kingdom have "hundreds or even thousands of staff each," according to Volker Eloesser, a German native who is among Nosotek's founders.

There's a lot of "western" people working there. Who in their right mind would take that job?

They have no lights on at night, but they've got computers?

Holy cow hope they aren't farming hackers