Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2021-12-05 18:00:16
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:05 pm

The similar ban goes into effect at the end of March in my municipality. We have begun to warn customers that once our current bag stock runs out... that's it. Should last until about then. Funny how angry some people are and asking what they are supposed to do for garbage bags after that... ummm... buy them? :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:17 pm

Strutz Strutz:
The similar ban goes into effect at the end of March in my municipality. We have begun to warn customers that once our current bag stock runs out... that's it. Should last until about then. Funny how angry some people are and asking what they are supposed to do for garbage bags after that... ummm... buy them? :roll:

I have my reusable bags, I don't think I've used a plastic bag in years.

I have a box of Resonite that I bought at Costco over 10 years ago. Still haven't finished it off... the box itself easily looks its age, and more.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:54 am

raydan raydan:
Strutz Strutz:

I have my reusable bags, I don't think I've used a plastic bag in years.

I have a box of Resonite that I bought at Costco over 10 years ago. Still haven't finished it off... the box itself easily looks its age, and more.

Same. I've used my own grocery bags for years. I use the bags that bread or vegetables come in to empty my cat litter. The roll of doggie-do bags I bought I haven't even tapped yet, because the waste plastic bags have been plenty.

I also use plastic containers for leftovers, and freezing. Reusable is cheaper. And you don't get freezer burn like plastic wrap.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:56 am

Also, since the plastic ban has been on in Edmonton, some fast food places that refuse to implement paper straws simply don't give straws with their drinks anymore.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:26 am

Strutz Strutz:

Sobey's did that a couple years ago and it was annoying the first couple times, because I always forgot my reusable bag. It didn't help that they only had reusable bags for sale or flimsy paper bags (that were 10 cents each) that broke if you put more than a couple cans in them. I really only used the grocery bags as garbage bags, mostly because our garbage cans are a weird size and it was hard to find something that wasn't too small or too big.

But after awhile I remembered to always bring my own reusable bag in with me and it's not a big deal.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Also, since the plastic ban has been on in Edmonton, some fast food places that refuse to implement paper straws simply don't give straws with their drinks anymore.

The annoying thing is paper straws, which suck after about 30 seconds. I wish they'd find a better solution than those POS.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:35 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
The annoying thing is paper straws, which suck after about 30 seconds. I wish they'd find a better solution than those POS.

Did not have that problem at all... I know, I never have fast food but I had a sudden urging for A&W Root Beer. Really, the only difference I noticed is that paper straws are thicker.

EDIT: Here's a suggestion. Like plastic bags, bring your own damn straw and reuse it. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:38 am

I better get used to bringing bags. I'm horrible for forgetting; just a matter of developing the habit, I guess

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:42 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
I better get used to bringing bags. I'm horrible for forgetting; just a matter of developing the habit, I guess

Keep some or all of them in the car.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:45 am

raydan raydan:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Keep some or all of them in the car.

I keep some in the truck, but the ones I brought in full of groceries I hang at the door by my coat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:46 pm

The straw thing is complete environmental tokenism. I get a paper straw in a styrofoam cup with a plastic lid.
The grocery stores began charging 5c for plastic bags, but 90% of the time the cashiers forgot to charge and it was just too hard for the workers to remember or the managers to enforce.
They also stopped the bring your own reusable at the start of the pandemic, but they're back "in" again I see.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:13 pm

raydan raydan:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Did not have that problem at all... I know, I never have fast food but I had a sudden urging for A&W Root Beer. Really, the only difference I noticed is that paper straws are thicker.

EDIT: Here's a suggestion. Like plastic bags, bring your own damn straw and reuse it. :evil:

I always have a reusable bag in the trunk, so that's not a big deal - it was just a matter of getting used to bringing them with me. But this summer I bought a drink at A&W on one of our road trips, and it turned to mush and stopped working almost immediately. Compared to the biodegradable straws 7/11 offers which last hours, it's night and day.

I'm not bringing a reusable straw, fork, knife, plate, chopsticks, and every other fucking utensil I might need with me everywhere I go - that's ridiculous. If a restaurant wants me to buy takeout, it's their responsibility to provide the means to do so. FWIW, A&W does a great job if I eat in with real mugs and utensils that can be washed and reused.

I'm glad corporations are showing finally some corporate social responsibility, but it's time for restaurants to use good quality biodegradable utensils instead of paper shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:29 pm

A&Rubberchew Root Beer is meant to be drank from a chilled glass mug. Take out version root beer is an abomination in the eyes of God

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:28 pm

herbie herbie:
A&Rubberchew Root Beer is meant to be drank from a chilled glass mug. Take out version root beer is an abomination in the eyes of God

Agreed, but in this instance I tried some new summer drink - a frozen chocolate drink made with ice and chocolate milk. The first few sips were okay, then the straw turned to mush. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:55 pm

Yeah, trying to drink a milkshake with a paper straw was WHY they made plastic ones.
Like I said, tokenism. Open any garbage can, there's shitloads of discarded plastic packaging. straws are sweet fuck all.
Always giving the wife shit for putting a plastic cake container into the kitchen garbage bin. Like the object of the trash game is generate as much volume as possible. I swear to Jesus she'd fill the whole thing up with inflated balloons once the party is over....