Title: No more masked protesters, city says
Category: Political
Posted By: mtbr
Date: 2009-01-18 10:09:10
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Not bad. Does somewhat violate privacy, but if you're committing a crime, you don't really get much privacy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:31 pm

" Oh wait.. I'm going to comit a crime now.. I better take off my mask or I might get charged with a crime."

I support the idea but I just don't think it's very realistic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:25 pm

I think it's a good idea, but will it stand? We shall see.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:56 pm

Wont work, even if they pass it people will still cover their faces. [cold]

I dont see the police wading through a mass of people to arrest a few people with their faces covered.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:04 pm

If these people were about peace they wouldnt be defending the Hamas.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
If these people were about peace they wouldnt be defending the Hamas.

Better take off that mask in your avatar or we'll have to arrest you, Eisensapper.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:44 pm

:lol: I was just thinking how Anonymous would take this new law...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 pm

People involved in protests have noticed that the police and other agencies end up videotaping the faces of those involved, whether it is peaceful or not.

Anyone exercising their rights to peaceful protest does not want to end up in an illegal police database or on a no-fly list. No one knows what information is being collected on protestors and how and why it is used. Whether that use is legal or not is also important.

If people could exercise their right of peaceful protest without the intimidation of police or agency videotaping, they would be satisfied but since that is not the case, they feel that masks are warranted. I understand their logic.

Last edited by Bibbi on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:04 pm

I think they made laws like this in the U.S. to keep the klan from marching like cowards with hoods over their heads.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

Bibbi Bibbi:
People involved in protests have noticed that the police and other agencies end up videotaping the faces of those involved, whether it is peaceful or not.

Anyone exercising their rights to peaceful protest does not want to end up in an illegal police database or on a no-fly list. No one knows what information is being collected on protestors and how and why it is used. Whether that use is legal or not is also important.

Why is it that when law enforcement wants to cover their own ass by keep track of trouble makers, they are accused by foilers of gangstalking and the such.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Since a lot of the protestors are muslims, if the exception is for religious reasons which dismisses all muslims at the protest. That narrows it down to basicly... not doing jack shit.

They better hope for some white boyz at that rally who are stupid enough to say they aren't religious other-wise they get ID'ed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:22 pm

lily lily:
Bibbi Bibbi:

Who started using camcorders in the first place? The protesters.... they'd bait the cops or whoever into a reaction, then show the carefully edited clips on the 6 o'clock news.

First of all, I don't think that experienced police officers as professionals should be capable of being baited into some violent reaction. Secondly the expertise is not there for protestors to carefully edit clips and then get them accepted on the 6 o'clock news. Editors make $75,000 plus per year and any protestor with those skills would NOT be protesting. They would be working for a major television station.

On the other side of the picture, there was a protest at Queen's Park during the regime of Harris by provincial workers on strike. The news video showed that with no reason a couple of protestors were violently attacked by the police with clubs. It was shown on a right wing station so there was no bias toward the protestors.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:40 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
" Oh wait.. I'm going to comit a crime now.. I better take off my mask or I might get charged with a crime."

I support the idea but I just don't think it's very realistic.

Not if you word it that way. Try replacing "commit a crime" with "break the law", and it'll make more sense. If you can't tell the difference, you don't know the first thing about protest, violent or non-violent.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Engaging in violent protest in Canada is committing a crime.