CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28993
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 am
 


Title: �No one available to work�: How labour woes are crimping our economy's prospects
Category: Economics
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-09-05 05:31:31
Canadian


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Profile
Posts: 836
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 am
 


Meanwhile the same Financial Post is reporting terribly low wages for Millenials. Housing prices 75% higher than any previous generation.

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23959
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:49 am
 


Prof_Chomsky wrote:
Meanwhile the same Financial Post is reporting terribly low wages for Millenials. Housing prices 75% higher than any previous generation.

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...

"5 years experienced and related degree required. Must have the following 3254567 certifications. Starting pay 14 dollars an hour."

"Why don't we get any applications!?"


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 34688
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:21 am
 


Tricks wrote:
Prof_Chomsky wrote:
Meanwhile the same Financial Post is reporting terribly low wages for Millenials. Housing prices 75% higher than any previous generation.

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...

"5 years experienced and related degree required. Must have the following 3254567 certifications. Starting pay 14 dollars an hour."

"Why don't we get any applications!?"


On the flip side, I have a friend who tries to hire all day long.

3 out of 4 people won't show up for an interview. 2 out of 3 who are hired won't show up for their first and/or second day. (Usually it's the ones who bring their parents to the interview who don't show up) Apparently it's too hard for the Millenials to be a mechanic or run a wash bay.

When hiring for a delivery driver, 8 out of 10 won't have a valid or have a suspended license. The first thing he does now is ask "Can I see your license" and most of them will say they left it in their vehicle, go out to get it and never come back.

And he pays really well! He keeps trying to recruit me, but I don't think I could do that job. Plus, the benefits here are awesome!


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64527
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:22 am
 


Quote:
(Canada's) notoriously weak commitment to productivity and innovation has caught up with us


No, Canada's cultural and regulatory opposition to productivity and innovation has caught up with you.

Canada is not a place to start a multi-billion dollar conglomerate like Microsoft, Apple, or Amazon because you can count on the government to stifle your business after a certain point. Canadians in general are averse to "too much" wealth and are generally not willing to work to create a successful global enterprise.

Last but not least is the anti-business stance of your government and it's often capricious decisions such as shuttering the Trans-Mountain Pipeline after years and years of permit hurdles, court hearings, and finally a start that gets killed by some fucking judge right out of the gate.

Anyone with a lick of sense isn't going to invest in Canada knowing that you can lose it all just because some fuckwit doesn't like what you're doing.

Now you're going to pay for this with all the billions that either flee Canada or that won't enter Canada in the first place.

I know I will not be reinvesting in Canada.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 14446
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Quote:
(Canada's) notoriously weak commitment to productivity and innovation has caught up with us


No, Canada's cultural and regulatory opposition to productivity and innovation has caught up with you.

Canada is not a place to start a multi-billion dollar conglomerate like Microsoft, Apple, or Amazon because you can count on the government to stifle your business after a certain point. Canadians in general are averse to "too much" wealth and are generally not willing to work to create a successful global enterprise.

Last but not least is the anti-business stance of your government and it's often capricious decisions such as shuttering the Trans-Mountain Pipeline after years and years of permit hurdles, court hearings, and finally a start that gets killed by some fucking judge right out of the gate.

Anyone with a lick of sense isn't going to invest in Canada knowing that you can lose it all just because some fuckwit doesn't like what you're doing.

Now you're going to pay for this with all the billions that either flee Canada or that won't enter Canada in the first place.

I know I will not be reinvesting in Canada.



^ load of partisan horseshit. If the above diatribe were true then we wouldn’t have a labour shortage because employers wouldn’t be looking to hire.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64527
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:35 am
 


BeaverFever wrote:
^ load of partisan horseshit. If the above diatribe were true then we wouldn’t have a labour shortage because employers wouldn’t be looking to hire.


Yep, you folks are riding on Trump's coattails. We're looking at 5% growth in the 4th quarter while you folks are dancing around with 2% growth. Like it or not you're getting dragged along by the Trump economy and not by anything your 'genius' PM is doing for/to you.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9240
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:54 am
 


Canada has been at the forefront of the G7 GDP growth for 10 or so years so long before both idiots took power. This manpower issue was basically alluded to over a decade ago. This is not Canada "riding" on the coat-tails of the USA. BTW, the actual GDP of the US was 4.2 in Q2. Just so you know.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64527
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:13 am
 


llama66 wrote:
Canada has been at the forefront of the G7 GDP growth for 10 or so years so long before both idiots took power. This manpower issue was basically alluded to over a decade ago. This is not Canada "riding" on the coat-tails of the USA. BTW, the actual GDP of the US was 4.2 in Q2. Just so you know.


Yup, we had 'impossible' 4.2% GDP growth and now the Fed is quietly projecting 5% for the 4th quarter.

Trump said something in the past few weeks about 8% growth by the end of 2019 and even Nate Silver said he won't bet against it.

If China can manage 10% growth then so can we.

Oh, and the answer to the manpower problem is NOT more unskilled and illiterate immigrants sucking off the public dole. :idea:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20939
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:15 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Yep, you folks are riding on Trump's coattails. We're looking at 5% growth in the 4th quarter while you folks are dancing around with 2% growth.


That's not what the Commerce Department said in March:

Quote:
Gross domestic product expanded at a 2.9 percent annual rate in the final three months of 2017, instead of the previously reported 2.5 percent, the Commerce Department said in its third estimate for the quarter on Wednesday. That was a slight moderation from the third quarter’s brisk 3.2 percent pace.


https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1H41VY


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20939
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:16 am
 


Oops, double post


Last edited by bootlegga on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64527
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:46 am
 


You folks are indeed riding on the coattails of the Trump economy. This includes the 2nd quarter of 2018.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/canadian-e ... 1535634221

Quote:
Three-quarters of Canadian exports are U.S.-bound, and the second-quarter data underscore the importance of unfettered access to the U.S. market.

Export volumes on a nonannualized basis rose in the three-month period 2.9%, the largest gain in four years, led by shipments of energy and pharmaceutical products.


And dovetailing with my observation that investments in Canada are predictably hurting:

Quote:
On the weak side, data suggested growth in business investment decelerated to 0.4% in the quarter, the slowest pace since late 2016.


:idea:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 13915
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:46 am
 


Prof_Chomsky wrote:

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...


ROTFL


Like that will ever happen. First they figured out that if you could get 2 parents working you could keep their wages low enough that both of them would equal out to one liveable income.

But, now that they've even screwed that up by not even raising those wages to keep up with the cost of living. So, they're going to have to come up with an new, inventive and wonderful reason why they "CAN'T" pay higher wages when the truth is that:

All the CEO's and high management personnel have seen others use the "how to get a really really really big obscene yearly bonus model and keep your stockholders happy" model. A model which includes the "threats of job loss in order to make the the fewer employees you retain work much harder at the same low wage while maximizing your company or corporations profits".


Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 64527
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:47 am
 


Freakinoldguy wrote:
Prof_Chomsky wrote:

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...


ROTFL


Like that will ever happen. First they figured out that if you could get 2 parents working you could keep their wages low enough that both of them would equal out to one liveable income.

But, now that they've even screwed that up by not even raising those wages to keep up with the cost of living. So, they're going to have to come up with an new, inventive and wonderful reason why they "CAN'T" pay higher wages when the truth is that:

All the CEO's and high management personnel have seen others use the "how to get a really really really big obscene yearly bonus model and keep your stockholders happy". A model which includes the "threats of job loss in order to make the the fewer employees you retain work
much harder at the same wage while maximizing your company or corporations profits".
\

You need to start your own corporation. 8)


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1391
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:48 am
 


All of the statistics are bullshit designed to deceive the public. Just ask a Canadian statistician.
Repeat after me: "Diversity is our strength. Flood the country with more poor people. To hell with the debt."


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  1  2  3  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.