bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:51 am

CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:
All of the statistics are bullshit designed to deceive the public. Just ask a Canadian statistician.
Repeat after me: "Diversity is our strength. Flood the country with more poor people. To hell with the debt."

Thats a motto, dumbass. (note to mods, I'm sorry... I can't deal with him/it any more. be gentle.) Stats have numbers.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am

$1:
All of the statistics are bullshit designed to deceive the public. Just ask a Canadian statistician.

Anyone who studies statistics knows they are quite accurate and often prophetic. Have been for hundreds of years.

$1:
Repeat after me: "Diversity is our strength. Flood the country with more poor people. To hell with the debt."

None of those are 'statistics'.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:56 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...

ROTFL

Like that will ever happen. First they figured out that if you could get 2 parents working you could keep their wages low enough that both of them would equal out to one liveable income.

But, now that they've even screwed that up by not even raising those wages to keep up with the cost of living. So, they're going to have to come up with an new, inventive and wonderful reason why they "CAN'T" pay higher wages when the truth is that:

All the CEO's and high management personnel have seen others use the "how to get a really really really big obscene yearly bonus model and keep your stockholders happy". A model which includes the "threats of job loss in order to make the the fewer employees you retain work
much harder at the same wage while maximizing your company or corporations profits".
\

You need to start your own corporation. 8)

The problem is the race to the bottom. You can't run a corporation that treats its employees "fairly", pays extremely well, offers benefits etc that others don't, unless you happen to be a monopoly, and even then you won't last long. That's why the government needs to level the playing field with mandatory minimums. Once every corporation has to follow the same high standards of labour treatment, they aren't competitively at a disadvantage and EVERYONE wins. Even the corporation in the form of highly productive employees, and a wealthy middle class to purchase their wares.

Also, your Trump BS is trumped up BS. That is all. [bonk]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:00 am

The problem is the race to the bottom. You can't run a corporation that treats its employees "fairly", pays extremely well, offers benefits etc that others don't, unless you happen to be a monopoly, and even then you won't last long.

Unfettered Capitalism is by definition a 'race to the bottom'. It can only survive by exploiting its customers and its workers, while providing a declining quality of product due to the desire for 'more'. More profit, more things shipped next year over this year, etc..

That's why the government needs to level the playing field with mandatory minimums. Once every corporation has to follow the same high standards of labour treatment, they aren't competitively at a disadvantage and EVERYONE wins. Even the corporation in the form of highly productive employees, and a wealthy middle class to purchase their wares.

Also, your Trump BS is trumped up BS. That is all. [bonk]

R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:04 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Doesn't a labour shortage usually mean wages get raised? How about trying that...

ROTFL

Like that will ever happen. First they figured out that if you could get 2 parents working you could keep their wages low enough that both of them would equal out to one liveable income.

But, now that they've even screwed that up by not even raising those wages to keep up with the cost of living. So, they're going to have to come up with an new, inventive and wonderful reason why they "CAN'T" pay higher wages when the truth is that:

All the CEO's and high management personnel have seen others use the "how to get a really really really big obscene yearly bonus model and keep your stockholders happy". A model which includes the "threats of job loss in order to make the the fewer employees you retain work
much harder at the same wage while maximizing your company or corporations profits".
\

You need to start your own corporation. 8)

Laugh if you will but I saw it first hand in the military starting back in the late 60's up to the early 2000's. So while not maximizing profits for a corporation like the wage model does, when they couldn't fill the ranks they just passed on the extra work to the troops they had with zero thought to their mental or physical well being.

So I've had some experience in what the current work force is going through work wise. As for loss of wage parity, under the second worst PM ever, Brian Mulroney we went 7 years without a pay raise while every MP and the PM got one yearly.

So, I've seen the loss of earning power up close and given that they take your best 6 years wages to assess your pension, that seven years with zero pay raises cost alot of us a bunch of our retirement income.

Yet in every leadership or management course we took in the military they kept telling us that every organizations biggest asset is it's people. So if that's true why do the military and all of these corporations and companies keep fucking their biggest assets over if not for greed?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 am

You can't run a corporation that treats its employees "fairly", pays extremely well, offers benefits etc that others don't, unless you happen to be a monopoly, and even then you won't last long.

Yet in the USA Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-A, and In-N-Out Burger have done these things for decades and all three firms are experiencing steady and profitable growth.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:16 am

Laugh if you will but I saw it first hand in the military starting back in the late 60's up to the early 2000's. So while not maximizing profits for a corporation like the wage model does, when they couldn't fill the ranks they just passed on the extra work to the troops they had with zero thought to their mental or physical well being.

So I've had some experience in what the current work force is going through work wise. As for loss of wage parity, under the second worst PM ever, Brian Mulroney we went 7 years without a pay raise while every MP and the PM got one yearly.

So, I've seen the loss of earning power up close and given that they take your best 6 years wages to assess your pension, that seven years with zero pay raises cost alot of us a bunch of our retirement income.

Yet in every leadership or management course we took in the military they kept telling us that every organizations biggest asset is it's people. So if that's true why do the military and all of these corporations and companies keep fucking their biggest assets over if not for greed?

The military does not set pay grades nor do they set retirement policies. Your/my government does these things.

In publicly traded corporations the infection of the Business Roundtable (BRT) metastasized in the 1990's and the job of the CEO was transformed from growing the company to delivering profits to the shareholders. Even if that meant destroying the company to do so.

Thus we've seen one firm after another buy itself private so it can keep working.

On the other side of it we see Amazon raping and pillaging the workforce with wild abandon in order to satisfy the insatiable hunger of the myriad investment banks and pension funds who hold their stock.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/amzn/holders?ltr=1

And that's the rub. If you want to go public then you have to accept that your values and your concern for your employees will get trashed in the name of quick profits for people who don't GAF if your firm still exists next year.

Were it my call I'd shutter the BRT. Then for publicly traded firms I'd prohibit corporate bonuses and raises to executives in any 18-month period in which there are wage freezes or layoffs for existing employees. No more of this shit where some cocksucker rapes a company, runs it into the ground, and then reaps massive bonuses for doing so.

Privately held firms would be exempt from this, of course. But then private firms want to stay in business so it's not a problem for them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
You can't run a corporation that treats its employees "fairly", pays extremely well, offers benefits etc that others don't, unless you happen to be a monopoly, and even then you won't last long.

Yet in the USA Hobby Lobby, Chick-fil-A, and In-N-Out Burger have done these things for decades and all three firms are experiencing steady and profitable growth.

Costco also has one of the best and happiest workforces, and Wall Street constantly undervalues their stock because good employee benefits are considered a hindrance to profit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Meanwhile the same Financial Post is reporting terribly low wages for Millenials. Housing prices 75% higher than any previous generation.

Nope.
It means more migration, throw the doors open even further.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Immigrants are the easiest way to raise GDP.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

You can also change what you consider in your GDP.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:20 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Costco also has one of the best and happiest workforces, and Wall Street constantly undervalues their stock because good employee benefits are considered a hindrance to profit.

Costco is a great example. It's also unique in that people have a love of it and understand they're supporting good jobs.

Chick-fil-A is just made up crap.

"Hourly pay at Chick-Fil-A Inc ranges from an average of $7.75 to $16.95 an hour. Chick-Fil-A Inc employees with the job title Marketing Consultant make the most with an average hourly rate of $35.84, while employees with the title Server make the least with an average hourly rate of $5.54."
https://www.glassdoor.ca/Benefits/Chick ... irect=true

Not to mention, it's easy to pay more when you are on your upswing of growth. But if McDonalds, who already grew to practical capacity, tried to raise the cost of their workforce 20% their stock would tank over night.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:05 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The military does not set pay grades nor do they set retirement policies. Your/my government does these things.

Which is why I said, "So while not maximizing profits for a corporation like the wage model does, when they couldn't fill the ranks they just passed on the extra work to the troops they had with zero thought to their mental or physical well being."

I don't know about your gov't but ours work in concert with the military and when Gov't policies affect the military be it financially or personnel wise both institutions have to accept responsibility. One for instituting unrealistic or idiotic expectations and the other for being so spineless that they let them do it without any opposition.

All you have to do is look at the long list of Senior Officers in our military who have caved to the Gov't without a fight. Hell, other than Admiral Thomas, the last time I can remember having Senior Officers who stood up to a gov't that couldn't find it's own ass with both hands on a dark night was during the Cuban Missile crisis when our Admirals sent our ships to sea without the Gov'ts authority.

Their actions may have gotten them earlier than expected retirement but, the respect and legend they earned within the Navy still remains. It isn't hard to do the right thing what's hard is accepting the punishment you will receive for doing so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:19 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Oddly enough slavery would be a simple and effective economic boost too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:

Oddly enough slavery would be a simple and effective economic boost too.

Slavery in most industries is not cost effective. But it does seem to work out in sex trafficking and child abuse. :|