canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:50 am

raydan raydan:

We all know what dairy costs there compared to us but that's because the consumer in the USA pays twice, once in the store and once to the government. We started paying subsidies to dairy farmers because of the TPP last year. Canada just entered the global tax subsidy race, and the dairy industry got the first golden egg.

It seems we pay either way. Either higher prices because of the marketing boards, or taxes to subsidize the farmer. I would choose the second, since the better off pay more than the poor.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:30 am

Yup, let's subsidize every single industry, farm and commerce out there and tax the hell out of rich people instead.... like that will work. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:33 am

So artificially raising prices is better?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:05 pm

So by not subsidizing, we're artificially raising prices... and here I thought that by subsidizing, we were artificially lowering prices. [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:10 pm

We were restricting who could be a dairy farmer and how much each farmer could produce. So we had higher prices than we would have had with open competition, never mind allowing imports. Either way it's a subsidy to the producer, one is paid directly by the consumer, the other by taxpayers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:14 pm

You know that makes absolutely no sense. :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:17 pm

I like that most of us agree with the TPP being anti-people horseshit destined to fuck us all, except for the crazy guy who probably thinks we're paid agents spreading anti-Americanism.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:18 pm

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that milk marketing boards don't keep prices higher than they would otherwise be, or that they don't?

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/press/spe ... cated.aspx

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
I like that most of us agree with the TPP being anti-people horseshit destined to fuck us all, except for the crazy guy who probably thinks we're paid agents spreading anti-Americanism.

I think either way we're going to get fucked. I guess we can have Canadian corporatism or World corporatism. Except the Canadian version probably involves a much poorer economy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:44 pm

Open the border to the Great Scam....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
So why do we need economic growth?

There is a correct answer.

I've often wondered if we need economic growth. What's wrong with doing the same as last quarter or last year, but having it cost less to do?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/peter-a ... -1.3754915

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:56 am

Because we have population growth. And because we still have poverty all over the world, especially in less developed nations, but also in Canada. We can either have a growing economy, or the people with more would have to take less to reduce this poverty. We know how well the latter would go over.

Most of the economic growth we've had for the last few decades has gone to the 1 percent, so I guess the 99% don't really need economic growth, we more need it to keep the 1% (job givers) playing along. For the effects of lack of economic growth, just read Thanos' posts here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:57 am

andyt andyt:
Because we have population growth.

Nope. That's the wrong answer.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:46 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
andyt andyt:
Because we have population growth.

Nope. That's the wrong answer.

It also makes no sense, as GDP growth is not tied to population growth. And things like washing machines and cars (durable goods) do not need to grow at the same rate as population. Unless toddlers can drive cars now? ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:16 am

No but population growth requires an increase of GDP per capita GDP the same. What toddlers have to do with this is beyond me. Oh, wait, they require diapers and car seats and what have you, then grow up to drive cars and everything. Is that what you meant? Also, our population grows by immigration - most of those want and do drive cars and use washing machines.

Durable goods would need to grow at least at the same rate as population unless you want fewer people (in relative terms) to have them. I'm sure they would be delighted by that idea. But it better be anybody but you, huh mister F150. You probably have a washing machine too.