CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 26770
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am
 


Title: Number of women in federal prisons is up, and advocates think they know why
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2017-10-11 06:20:17
Canadian


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25182
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:23 am
 


This just in; Fiscal Conservatism results in higher social and economic costs. Film at 11.


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 623
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:04 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
This just in; Fiscal Conservatism results in higher social and economic costs. Film at 11.


Are the NDP and Liberals now practicing social conservatism? Using Nova Scotia as an example, as the article did, it's been under NDP and Liberal rule for the last 8+ years.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25182
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:28 am
 


Coach85 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
This just in; Fiscal Conservatism results in higher social and economic costs. Film at 11.


Are the NDP and Liberals now practicing social conservatism? Using Nova Scotia as an example, as the article did, it's been under NDP and Liberal rule for the last 8+ years.


As the article also stated, the problem is country wide and increasing over the last 10 years. Aboriginal women are getting hit hardest, and Harper cut funding for Aboriginal Women's programs, including things like the "First Nations Child and Family Caring Society", "Women's Innovative Justice Initiative", "National association of Women and the Law (NAWL)" and "Native Women's Association of Canada".

Now those cuts have resulted in a higher cost to keep women in prison instead of servicing them before they turned to crime, along with the inevitable recidivism that will follow when they are let out. Prevention is usually cheaper than fixing a problem later.

Go Harper! :|


Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 am
 


Maybe they're just trying to get into prison given we've turned womens prisons into country clubs and resorts.


Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Coach85 wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
As the article also stated, the problem is country wide and increasing over the last 10 years. Aboriginal women are getting hit hardest, and Harper cut funding for Aboriginal Women's programs, including things like the "First Nations Child and Family Caring Society", "Women's Innovative Justice Initiative", "National association of Women and the Law (NAWL)" and "Native Women's Association of Canada".


Sooo, because Harper cut funding to useless native talk-shops and lobby groups this has somehow translated into a rise in native crime by women? Is that really what you're suggesting?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 25182
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:40 am
 


Vbeacher wrote:
Sooo, because Harper cut funding to useless native talk-shops and lobby groups this has somehow translated into a rise in native crime by women? Is that really what you're suggesting?


No, I'm saying the people who the article is about said (and on the radio this morning) that the cuts Harper made to the programs that kept women from turning to a life of crime, has caused women to turn to a life of crime. Quelle suprise.

That crime by women has been rising for 10 years, starting at the same time as the cut to those programs, is merely coincidental.


Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 68
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Vbeacher wrote:
Sooo, because Harper cut funding to useless native talk-shops and lobby groups this has somehow translated into a rise in native crime by women? Is that really what you're suggesting?


No, I'm saying the people who the article is about said (and on the radio this morning) that the cuts Harper made to the programs that kept women from turning to a life of crime, has caused women to turn to a life of crime. Quelle suprise.

That crime by women has been rising for 10 years, starting at the same time as the cut to those programs, is merely coincidental.



These were not programs. Look them up. They were talk shops. Native crime has been rising as natives formed gangs based on the crips and bloods model, and became more heavily involved in smuggling, prostitution and drug dealing. You think a couple of bucks funding some talk shops was going to have even negligible impact on that?


Offline
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 623
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm
 


Vbeacher wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Vbeacher wrote:
Sooo, because Harper cut funding to useless native talk-shops and lobby groups this has somehow translated into a rise in native crime by women? Is that really what you're suggesting?


No, I'm saying the people who the article is about said (and on the radio this morning) that the cuts Harper made to the programs that kept women from turning to a life of crime, has caused women to turn to a life of crime. Quelle suprise.

That crime by women has been rising for 10 years, starting at the same time as the cut to those programs, is merely coincidental.



These were not programs. Look them up. They were talk shops. Native crime has been rising as natives formed gangs based on the crips and bloods model, and became more heavily involved in smuggling, prostitution and drug dealing. You think a couple of bucks funding some talk shops was going to have even negligible impact on that?


While it may have had an impact, you're right...just more talk shops and feel-good non-profits.

That doesn't tell the full story about all of the other Aboriginal initiatives that are already funded or have been funded since those have had their funding reduced.

Throwing more money at our Indigenous people doesn't work.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1350
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:24 pm
 


Vbeacher wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Vbeacher wrote:
Sooo, because Harper cut funding to useless native talk-shops and lobby groups this has somehow translated into a rise in native crime by women? Is that really what you're suggesting?


No, I'm saying the people who the article is about said (and on the radio this morning) that the cuts Harper made to the programs that kept women from turning to a life of crime, has caused women to turn to a life of crime. Quelle suprise.

That crime by women has been rising for 10 years, starting at the same time as the cut to those programs, is merely coincidental.



These were not programs. Look them up. They were talk shops. Native crime has been rising as natives formed gangs based on the crips and bloods model, and became more heavily involved in smuggling, prostitution and drug dealing. You think a couple of bucks funding some talk shops was going to have even negligible impact on that?


R=UP


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 1350
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:26 pm
 


No one forced these women into a life of crime. They made their choice and all the excuses in the world won't change the fact that they could have chosen another path.


Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
Profile
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:32 pm
 


I think when people hear about more women in prison there is a tendency to feel sorry for them and believe them to be not worthy of being locked up.

This is not true. Most women that end up behind bars are repeat offenders or down right monsters who have committed indictable offenses. More than a few have killed their kids.

If the rate of women in prison is rising then crime is actually rising or they're finally getting caught.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 22986
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm
 


Kind of a double-whammy they're trying to pull. They're not responsible for their actions because they're female and they're also not responsible for their actions because they're Native. Overall it's something that only a social liberal mind totally disassociated from reality can think up if the end goal is to give certain people a permanent get-out-of-jail free card based solely on their gender and skin colour.

I presume the original idea wasn't supposed to take it this far but it shows how easily something can get distorted when an anti-social agenda gets behind something and picks up steam.


Offline
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
Profile
Posts: 1564
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 pm
 


First off I am no bleeding heart liberal attempting to blame society for everyones failures. Prisons are a part of life. They are necessary. There are a lot of bad people who deserve to be in prison. Prison should not be the realm of only males either. I have no problem sending women to prison. There were two things in the article that I have an issue with. One was how it stated that prisoners can spend 23 hours a day in their cell. Thats called supermax. When I hear supermax I think about people like Hannibal Lecter. Thats the type of person who belongs in supermax conditions. People who are never going to get out of prison. People who have been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. You do not want to subject people who are going to get out of prison to those inhumane conditions. Whatever problems they may have had before they went to prison will pale in comparison to what they will morph into after being treated like they are less than human. Those conditions should be reserved for the worst of the worst, and not for routine discipline of inmates.

The second item is the extreamely unacceptable wait times for mental help. When someone comes forward stating that they need mental help, you give it to them. Immediately!!! We have mentally ill people shooting up churches, cutting peoples heads off on busses, killing their parents, shooting up schools, shooting up movie theaters, shooting up concerts, shooting elected officials, etc. Some of this could have been prevented if these people had received some help. Wait times of up to 14 months is total horseshit. People should be fired over that, maybe ciminally charged. It would cost a lot less to give someone some meds and counseling than to incarcerate them. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.


Offline
Junior Member
Junior Member
Profile
Posts: 74
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm
 


Rick,Those people are not mentally ill. They are criminals. Most people do not even know anything about mental illness and just assume that it's causing all these events like mass shootings and violent acts.

I will tell you this, there is not one disorder in the DSM that causes a person to do those things. The most common mental disorders are anxiety and depression. I swear, I think people imagine ''mental illness''as something more like Schizophrenia when statistically it's a very rare mental disorder and not at all like the media portrayal.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.