CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:41 am

Full page apology from Syncrude in the Journal. It is may I suggest full of the usual politically correct statements.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:40 am

Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
Ripcat Ripcat:
Alta_redneck Alta_redneck:
It's probably a good thing most of these people here don't know squat about how a lot of farmers now a days get their crops to ripen quickly. I know I cringed the first time I saw it happening, it just didn't seem right to me, but now I just chalk it up to progress. Enjoy your morning cereals. :lol:

:?:
I guess that would be me unless you are talking about spreading manure on the fields.

Yes, your food is grown in liquid shit.

Yep that to. :wink:

I would tell you what it is they do, but the hysteria train is going to fast at the moment. Not to worry tho, the scientists say it's ok for human consumption once the grains have been processed. But when I see 1000’s of ducks eating it right out of the swaths, I always wonder what it does to them.

I was doing a right of way south of the colony on the longview where they spray it right through the big irrigation sprinklers. I was 3 miles downwind and my machine and truck were coated with that shit.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:51 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
ziggy ziggy:
sorry Zip but the turbines dont kill as many birds as cats or cars,not even close.
\

I didn't say they did. I just said that siting was the key, in my opinion, to reducing mortality.

$1:
The reason the mortality rate was so high years ago was because the birds would nest on them,they build them now so its impossible for a bird to build a nest.I'm not going to go look for the studies again but you can search Cowley ridge wind farms if you want real facts and not made up stats from environmentalists.
We got hundreds of turbines here and one of Alberta's most vocal enviro groups allways watching.They dont kill birds,cats and cars do.

If you build them in a popular bird corridor, the birds do not seem to adapt. At least that's what teh studies show. I know the real stats, I know the scientists conducting the research.

Ya,I know,you guys turned the guys away with your studies so they came here.the first studies were done on the coast because it wasnt a big deal here back then.since they changed the design the mortality rate went down to something in the oo1% range. We have hundreds here,i have friends who live within 100 feet of them,I've worked under them,helped dig some of the holes,not once have I seen a bird get killed by one.
If you dont think Alberta looks after its birds you would be wrong.While stripping topsoil for pipeline there is biologists around all the time,if theres a nest on the ground they have someone monitor it while your working near,if the birds get agitated you leave for 24 hours.Ive seen whole pipeline right of ways detour 200 feet because of a nest on the R.O.W.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:30 am

ziggy ziggy:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
ziggy ziggy:
sorry Zip but the turbines dont kill as many birds as cats or cars,not even close.
\

I didn't say they did. I just said that siting was the key, in my opinion, to reducing mortality.

$1:
The reason the mortality rate was so high years ago was because the birds would nest on them,they build them now so its impossible for a bird to build a nest.I'm not going to go look for the studies again but you can search Cowley ridge wind farms if you want real facts and not made up stats from environmentalists.
We got hundreds of turbines here and one of Alberta's most vocal enviro groups allways watching.They dont kill birds,cats and cars do.

If you build them in a popular bird corridor, the birds do not seem to adapt. At least that's what teh studies show. I know the real stats, I know the scientists conducting the research.

Ya,I know,you guys turned the guys away with your studies so they came here.the first studies were done on the coast because it wasnt a big deal here back then.since they changed the design the mortality rate went down to something in the oo1% range. We have hundreds here,i have friends who live within 100 feet of them,I've worked under them,helped dig some of the holes,not once have I seen a bird get killed by one.
If you dont think Alberta looks after its birds you would be wrong.While stripping topsoil for pipeline there is biologists around all the time,if theres a nest on the ground they have someone monitor it while your working near,if the birds get agitated you leave for 24 hours.Ive seen whole pipeline right of ways detour 200 feet because of a nest on the R.O.W.

Yeah, I don't think we have a single installed megawatt of wind power in BC. My impression is that it's a pretty marginal investment to start wiht, and it borders on uneconomic once you consider all the hoops you have to jump through (environmental assessment, permitting, power purchase agreement with BC Hydro).

My own opinion is that we should be using all kinds of energy available to us ((hydro, coal, oil, nuclear, wind, solar, tidal, geothermal, etc). Like Bart, I'm kind of a futurist, so I'd like to see a lot of R&D on fusion, novel energy sources and off-planet resources.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:06 pm

Zip,here's a video I did of the windmills 30 miles east of me on the prarie,this is what you folks passed up.Pay no attention to the last half of the vid,it was a guy thing trying to make it over that road and I got stuck big time. :oops: :oops:
Had to call a bud for a tug. :oops:

cowley wind farm.