bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:01 am

DanSC DanSC:
Regina Regina:
According to the 2006 Canadian Census, nearly 25 million people, or more than four-fifths of Canadians live in urban areas. Ninety percent of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the U.S. border. This means that the overwhelming majority of the Canadian population is easily reachable through traditional distribution routes.

Yeah! Screw the 10%! They're not real people!

Idiot. You have no rural areas where health care is more difficult to access? We have a bigger country with far less people.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:05 am

andyt andyt:
Idiot. You have no rural areas where health care is more difficult to access? We have a bigger country with far less people.

I grew up in such an area. The nearest hospital was 56 km away. The nearest cardiologist was 140 km away.

Perhaps I'll make an extra just-for-andyt side note on my posts spelling out their meaning in the most basic English. I'll probably leave out the word "Idiot" however.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:09 am

Regina Regina:
Simple. How would you feel if your doctor decided to devote the majority of his practice time to the people that want to pay. How would then feel about waiting 6 months to see your old doctor? Faster accessibility is available right now. Hop in your car drive to Buffalo and experience a well oiled machine that won't affect our care here.

I'd pay to see my doctor. Simple.

I already wait 2-3 weeks so if paying allows me to see him sooner, great!

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:16 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
Regina Regina:
Simple. How would you feel if your doctor decided to devote the majority of his practice time to the people that want to pay. How would then feel about waiting 6 months to see your old doctor? Faster accessibility is available right now. Hop in your car drive to Buffalo and experience a well oiled machine that won't affect our care here.

I'd pay to see my doctor. Simple.

I already wait 2-3 weeks so if paying allows me to see him sooner, great!

You have no idea what you're talking about and totally missed the point.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 pm

As I said, any doctor is free to set up his own private service, as long as he doesn't also take medical plan patients. There are a few clinics for specialized services, but surprisingly few. So it seems most people want to bitch, but have no intention of paying their own medical costs, otherwise this would be much more common.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:14 pm

DanSC DanSC:
andyt andyt:
rural areas where health care is more difficult to access

I grew up in such an area. The nearest hospital was 56 km away.
How many people did that hospital serve? Or, if that's hard to answer, how big was your town?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 pm

Psudo Psudo:
DanSC DanSC:
andyt andyt:
rural areas where health care is more difficult to access

I grew up in such an area. The nearest hospital was 56 km away.
How many people did that hospital serve? Or, if that's hard to answer, how big was your town?

My town was 800 people. The town with the hospital was 10,000.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:48 pm

andyt andyt:
We do allow private clinics in Canada. Any doctor is free to open one. They just can't also work for the government system. If the demand was there for paying for faster service, those clinics would be more common.

I believe you're only half right. I don't think Health Care providers in Canada can charge patients for services that are covered under the public system, if the patient has public coverage under any circumstances. There has been some testing of this limit, however.