Title: Ottawa offers up to $2-billion in funding to steel and aluminum industry
Category: Economics
Posted By: shockedcanadian
Date: 2018-06-29 09:33:57
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:36 am

Alright, taxpayers will take care of this.

Wait until the auto tariffs hit...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:43 am

But the USA MUST cut subsidies!

:lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:51 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

If Americans knew half of what I know, they would look at subsidies as a small irritant, we've been getting away with extreme abuses.

Consider the auto industry alone, the one that has decimated Ohio and Michigan when they left, Canada has 500k auto related jobs, yet, not even ONE domestic company.

The biggest abuse is the jobs we've stolen. Without bribery enforcement, thanks to the feckless RCMP (intentional?), I am willing to bet anything that Canada greases palms for these industries. It makes no sense for a company to move parts across borders multiple times to develop a car, that was once all developed in one location.

Canadian salaries aren't lower. Incidental costs are higher in Canada, sO what gives?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:06 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

If Americans knew half of what I know, they would look at subsidies as a small irritant, we've been getting away with extreme abuses.

Consider the auto industry alone, the one that has decimated Ohio and Michigan when they left, Canada has 500k auto related jobs, yet, not even ONE domestic company.

The biggest abuse is the jobs we've stolen. Without bribery enforcement, thanks to the feckless RCMP (intentional?), I am willing to bet anything that Canada greases palms for these industries. It makes no sense for a company to move parts across borders multiple times to develop a car, that was once all developed in one location.

It makes sense from the automaker's POV. Why not have parts and shit made in countries where they can pay pennies on the dollar compared to what they'd have to pay here or in the US?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 am

Good. No different at all than the US using taxpayer money to subsidize the private prison and for-profit kiddie-koncentration-kamp industries.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:18 am

Thanos Thanos:
Good. No different at all than the US using taxpayer money to subsidize the for-profit kiddie-koncentration-kamp industries.
You mean like Canada has been doing since 2011?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:22 am

Don't care about details right now. Trump is an enemy and a full-spectrum retaliation is required. It's just basic Sun-Tzu anyway. Find that action which further aggravates the already intemperate enemy and do even more of it just to piss him off even more.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:32 am

shockedcanadian shockedcanadian:
Canadian salaries aren't lower. Incidental costs are higher in Canada, sO what gives?

Biggest advantage Canadian businesses have over the US is the employer doesn't have to pay for their employees health insurance.

No small thing.

2nd advantage is the dollar.

Canada is a cheaper place to set up shop in many cases. More than a handful of reports have been done on the subject.

If it didn't make sense on a spreadsheet, they wouldn't do it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:38 am

Thanos Thanos:
Don't care about details right now.

I agree. You don't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 am

You haven't cared about details since 2016, when you began to support a man who's done everything from cheating on his taxes to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, to breaking the law by laundering money for Russian gangsters, to ripping babies away from their mothers for the misdemeanour charge of crossing the US border without permission.

Why do you believe that being hard-core no-compromise is something that only belongs to your side? :?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:54 am

Thanos Thanos:
You haven't cared about details since 2016, when you began to support a man who's done everything from cheating on his taxes to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, to breaking the law by laundering money for Russian gangsters, to ripping babies away from their mothers for the misdemeanour charge of crossing the US border without permission.

Why do you believe that being hard-core no-compromise is something that only belongs to your side? :?

I refuse to compromise on matters of national security. You refuse to compromise on your unfounded delusions and lately you've expressed your frustration with the fact that there are no actual facts to support your delusions.

And you've now escalated to making specific threats of violence against a sitting President and you've compounded that with threats of violence against others.

That's just not healthy. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:57 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Thanos Thanos:

I refuse to compromise on matters of national security. You refuse to compromise on your unfounded delusions and lately you've expressed your frustration with the fact that there are no actual facts to support your delusions.

And you've now escalated to making specific threats of violence against a sitting President and you've compounded that with threats of violence against others.

That's just not healthy. :|

Pretty sure you threatened Obama a few times back in the day, to be fair.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am

And openly admired the tactics of Anders Breivik at his destruction of the next generation of his enemies. I understand that too. I don't admire it but I do understand it.

Still not much of an answer to my question. If reactionary extremism is a natural response to an existential threat then it's something innate that belongs to practically every human on this planet. Not just to one ideology, not just to one religion, not just to one political party. I won't apologize for mine in my reaction to the world-ending threat that I see in Donald Trump. He's declared war on my country therefore I want him destroyed. And I have no mercy towards his abettors in the right-wing extremist media either. If someone spontaneously removed FOX, Limpbaugh, or Breitbart from existence in a loud and fiery dramatic flourish I'd consider it no more of a crime than if one night in 1944 the RAF had gotten in some lucky hits with a couple of Tallboy bombs and reduced the entire city block in Berlin that contained the Nazi propaganda ministry to billions of bits of rubble no larger than a playing card.

This is war. The effects it has on human conscience are merely predictable.