Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:33 pm

So Ottawa has finally decided to suspend the passports of Islamic wingnuts and presumably anyone else who wants to travel abroad in advance of the particular 'ism' they hold dear.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-rev ... -1.2017048

I have mixed feelings on this and not just 'cause I'm happy to see off some fanatic who might hopefully never return.

I desperately want the guys who head to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia, Syria, Nigeria etc etc who engage in terrorism to be rounded up and punished but on the other hand, part of being free and living in a free country is the freedom to choose which cause and conflict resonates with you and to join the fight whichever way you choose.

Canada has a long history of watching it's private citizens sail off to participate in conflict in foreign lands and so long as they're not actually fighting Canadians.......

Buried in the story is a comment on how Ottawa might also take away the citizenship of dual citizens caught in terrorist acts. Why we allow anyone to be a dual citizen in the first place is beyond me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:05 pm

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:

Buried in the story is a comment on how Ottawa might also take away the citizenship of dual citizens caught in terrorist acts. Why we allow anyone to be a dual citizen in the first place is beyond me.

Cuz we all 'cultural mosaic' and 'multicultural' and 'accommodating'.

Otherwise this is good news.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 am

Title: Ottawa revoking passports of Canadians who join extremist groups
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2014-09-20 22:20:09
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 am

But wait, wasn't somebody here claiming this could not happen?

That you could not prevent Canadian citizens from returning to Canada.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:24 am

What you think they have actually composed a law that can withstand a legal challenge ? All of their laws are written in sand just waiting for the tide to turn.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:27 am

You can't prevent citizens from returning, it's in our constitution. All revoking the passport does is make it harder for them to travel, not something they seem concerned about since some of them publicly burned their passport. You don't need a passport to enter Canada as a citizen, you just may be detained while they check out if you are indeed a citizen. Should make it harder for these guys to come back under the radar.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:34 am

andyt andyt:
You can't prevent citizens from returning, it's in our constitution. All revoking the passport does is make it harder for them to travel, not something they seem concerned about since some of them publicly burned their passport. You don't need a passport to enter Canada as a citizen, you just may be detained while they check out if you are indeed a citizen. Should make it harder for these guys to come back under the radar.

Can't get on a plane without a passport.

They would need to go an embassy first, and then the investigations can begin,
while they are still outside.

$1:
“And it will ensure that the good name of Canada, which is associated with this passport, is not associated with the menace of terrorism.”

Having a Canadian passport used to be the best thing in the world.

Now it's a bit of a joke.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:46 am

Sounds like a good strategy, it forces those whom are involved in terrorism to consider not attempting to come back at all since they won't know what info is held on them. It also could hamper our ability to apprehend some of the more dangerous ones by keeping them out. Overall it puts the safety of Canadians first and makes apprehension a second priority.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:52 am

martin14 martin14:

Exactly. I have no problem with it, as long as they have some solid evidence to proceed on. Which means the investigation would have had to begin when the passport was cancelled, not when the person shows up at the embassy. And then still, the govt will have to grant temporary travel papers, and the person still comes home. It doesn't actually solve anything. They would still need to be watched closely when they come home.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:20 pm

andyt andyt:
martin14 martin14:

Exactly. I have no problem with it, as long as they have some solid evidence to proceed on. Which means the investigation would have had to begin when the passport was cancelled, not when the person shows up at the embassy. And then still, the govt will have to grant temporary travel papers, and the person still comes home. It doesn't actually solve anything. They would still need to be watched closely when they come home.

No, there is the second part, moving to strip citizenship.

Hopefully there is a way to fast track that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Only applies to those with dual citizenship. Wonder what the Supremes will have to say about that one.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:34 pm

andyt andyt:
Only applies to those with dual citizenship. Wonder what the Supremes will have to say about that one.

Given the hard on they've had for Harper and the Conservatives lately It'd be my guess that they wouldn't be sympathetic to any law the Conservatives brought before them no matter what it was, which brings up the question. Who really runs this country? The duly elected Government or an appointed judiciary staffed by lawyers. 8O

But here's a thought. Why doesn't the Gov't make all these countries where these animals are going to "scheduled" countries then, if they go to them they're automatically breaking the law and subject to arrest upon arrival back in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:50 pm

You mean the Harper majority on the court won't dance to his tune but actually follows the law? The bastards.

For your last thought, I don't know. Is that possible? Does that mean all those journalists and aid workers who keep getting kidnapped would no longer be allowed to go? I can hear the outcry about that. I didn't know we had such a deal, thought it was just the US with its idiotic stance on Cuba. And even there, how does the govt know these animals went there? doubt they get entry stamps on their passports. From their passport it probably looks like they went to Turkey or Jordan or something.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:25 pm

andyt andyt:

I don't know: Lets ask 'em!