canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 am

Title: Paying with a credit card' Expect to see a fee when you shop under new rules that start now
Category: Business
Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2022-10-06 10:47:53
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:07 am

It will be interesting to see if any of the big corporations start doing this. (Loblows, Sobeys, yada yada)

IMO it's bullshit because credit card/banking fees are just another cost of doing business just like monthly rent, utilities, employee wages, etc etc. Expenses that a business must absorb are what contributes to price mark up determination for whatever it is the business sells/provides so the customer is already paying for that anyway.

I'm sure that if everyone starts using debit cards instead then they'll go after that next.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:24 am

If Bell tries it, I will call them on their bullshit. They forced me to pay by credit card, so they could stop sending me a paper bill.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:35 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
If Bell tries it, I will call them on their bullshit. They forced me to pay by credit card, so they could stop sending me a paper bill.

Well, that's stupid of them. I stopped getting paper bills from Telus and BC Hydro many years ago. I get my billing by email then pay via telephone banking from my chequing account. They do often remind me that I can just pre-authorize the payment directly but I won't do that because if they fuck something up and overcharge me then it will be a big hassle to get it corrected.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:44 am

I got my phone when I worked at IBM. When I left IBM, they wanted a credit card to guarantee the plan. And they claimed that I authorized the card for billing, and stopped my bill by mail. :evil:

I had to recently change my card, and they won't take a new card number over the phone, and I don't have the email I used to create my online account, so I can't do it that way. I have to go to a store to change that info. But I never know what is on my bill, because I can only view it online.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:56 pm

Strutz Strutz:
It will be interesting to see if any of the big corporations start doing this. (Loblows, Sobeys, yada yada)

IMO it's bullshit because credit card/banking fees are just another cost of doing business just like monthly rent, utilities, employee wages, etc etc. Expenses that a business must absorb are what contributes to price mark up determination for whatever it is the business sells/provides so the customer is already paying for that anyway.

I'm sure that if everyone starts using debit cards instead then they'll go after that next.

Agreed, this is just another way for companies to gouge customers, and I will be boycotting any that try to charge me to use my credit card. My guess is that I will be eliminating purchases with some companies in the near future. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:02 pm

Instead of charging me a fee when I use a credit card, they should reward me when I don't.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Good news! Our money still has the Queen on it. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:30 pm

Decades-long campaign by financial institutions to get rid of cash results in massive gouging of customers under the guise of fees to cover the "expense" of maintaining the non-cash forms of purchase that replaced cash. Gee, I bet no one ever saw this one coming. Gosh, where are our fiscal conservatives to come to the rescue when these fees, which are just another form of tax, get wildly out of control?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:35 pm

Apple pay bypasses this.

https://paymentdepot.com/blog/apple-pay ... merchants/

$1:
Here’s an interesting caveat to the Apply Pay-affordability equation. While merchants are happy with the processing fees they pay with Apple Pay, most major banks don’t share that sentiment.

Major banks such as Bank of America, JP Morgan Chase, and Capital One are unhappy with their cut from Apple. So much so that they’ve formally requested that Visa, “change the way that it processes certain Apple Pay transactions.” In other words, pay Apple less in transaction fees.

Apple Pay works for online transactions as well as in-person purchases. Web customers will just choose “Apple Pay” at checkout to enter their payment information from their computer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:00 pm

raydan raydan:
Instead of charging me a fee when I use a credit card, they should reward me when I don't.

I grew up in the era when you got discounts for paying cash. Now that's discounts as rebates for using your credit card and even bank charges for handling cash.
Bullshit I tell you, bullshit.
Now they want a fee to track everything you buy and they sell that info. Worse than banks charging to use their ATM instead of a human teller. Next there'll be a fee to use the self checkout at WalMart as their bean-counters calculate a 'cost' for those machines.....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:46 am

herbie herbie:
raydan raydan:

I grew up in the era when you got discounts for paying cash. Now that's discounts as rebates for using your credit card and even bank charges for handling cash.
Bullshit I tell you, bullshit.
Now they want a fee to track everything you buy and they sell that info. Worse than banks charging to use their ATM instead of a human teller. Next there'll be a fee to use the self checkout at WalMart as their bean-counters calculate a 'cost' for those machines.....

I haven't noticed a "% discount for cash transactions" sign for awhile now but I remember them in especially smaller shops. I wonder if we'll see this return.

The self checkout... we won't use them out of principle. It wouldn't shock me though if some decide on a minimum purchase amount to use them. :lol: I mean, after all, there is always an employee standing by to assist with them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:01 am

Can you imagine how depressing a job that would be? Paid minimum wage to make your job disappear...