canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:18 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=31863" target="_blank">Peace Tower flag-lowering motion passes</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/14-misc-cdn" target="_blank">Misc CDN</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Hyack" target="_blank">Hyack</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2008-04-02 17:34:50
<strong>Canadian</strong>

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:18 pm

This tactic by the Liberals and NDP shows how little they know or care about Military traditions. Good on the Cons for ignoring the vote and seeking to come up with a policy that will not lessen the respect paid to all those who have paid the ultimate price on Nov 11th.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:27 pm

This is a bullshit political move by the Liberals. Nothing more.
They didn't care one bit about the forces untill the election.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:36 pm

There are existing rules for this sort of thing so I can't see why we even need a comission to look into this. I simply await those who know about such things and respect their decision on this matter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:52 pm

lily lily:
I don't think the flag should be lowered every time a soldier dies... that's my personal opinion. But remember... when this passed before, it was the Con's idea.
When was that?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:52 pm

You'll have to prove that to me.
We Conservatives are pretty strong believers in tradition and there are gobs of flag traditions.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 pm

If the Legion is against it, I'll go by what they think.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:29 pm

Well gentlemen (and those who are not to sure) another attention seeking placebo from our illustrious Liberal and NDP partwiths.

Pity all that negative energy goes to waste.

Flag at half mast to honour the fallen on Remembrance Day....only.

Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:38 pm

If we lowered the flag every time one of our brave soldiers died, it would never see the sun again.

Bring them home.

Is it just me or does it just seem wrong that dumbass politicians have the last word on the deployment of our troops?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:40 pm

From what I can find, here are the rules.
It looks like exceptions were made during the Harper government and they are shown here.

Nope. I didn't know and don't like that.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:50 pm

MindsEye MindsEye:
If we lowered the flag every time one of our brave soldiers died, it would never see the sun again.

Bring them home.

Is it just me or does it just seem wrong that dumbass politicians have the last word on the deployment of our troops?

Why bring them home? We are making progress in Afghanistan. The part that the CF is currently securing has been reconised as the safest part of Afghanistan. Obviously doing a good job.

They always want to be there, and fully accepted the the chances they might die there. otherwise they would not have applied. It's warfare, people die. When I join the CF in a year or less. If I get to see action, and I if I die in Afghanistan. I don't want my death to be another excuse for some body to pull troops out.

From the CF Members I talked to, have one living in the next street from me who is a family friend and served two terms in Afghanistan and others. They had some bad times in Afghanistan that they regreted. Wish they did not do, or see certon things. However they are proud of the good things they accomplished there, which made everything else worth it.

I fully do not support Iraq, because such a poor job has been done there and pretty much no progress has been made. But it doesn't make sense to pull out troops when we have been making a lot of progress. Not only would that make us cut and runners, and all the good we done there will just be turned back into what it was just because some Citizens diddn't like the war and all those Afghanistan Civilians have to go back to there wartorn country.

Not to mention, all those dead soldiers you were talking about. Would have died for nothing.

Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 pm

WOW!! Well, let's see. I have 2 friends that have done time in Afghanistan and they still tell me how they wipe their asses with rocks.
Why bring them home?

Because dying in a sand filled shithole surrounded by people that don't give a shit about you is NO way to die.

I support your choice to give your life for what you believe in as long as you support my choice to make sure you never have to make that decision.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:10 pm

Conservatives don't like to show their soft spots.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
You'll have to prove that to me.
We Conservatives are pretty strong believers in tradition and there are gobs of flag traditions.

RUEZ RUEZ:
lily lily:
I don't think the flag should be lowered every time a soldier dies... that's my personal opinion. But remember... when this passed before, it was the Con's idea.
When was that?

When Chris Saunders died.

$1:
Steckle noted that Conservative MP James Moore requested in October 2004 that the Peace Tower flag be lowered for submariner Lt. Chris Saunders after his death on HMCS Chicoutimi.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/409340

Perhaps the Conservatives shouldn't have opened this can of beans to begin with. If this is partisan politics, then so was that.

I think in this day and age I think it's fine, but if we ever get into a regular conventional war, then it will be at half-mast forever.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
if we ever get into a regular conventional war, then it will be at half-mast forever.

If Canada loses a war on its territory, there will be no more Maple leaf flag.