Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:13 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
andyt andyt:
My guess is the guys who really are, don't talk about it, certainly don't brag about it.

Good guess. One gent who recently passed at the Legion was a Royal Marine, and even in his 80's I'm sure he could have snapped me in two. But he never spoke of it, it was just the way he carried himself.

Yep, my wife's father-in-law was a badass in WW2 who kicked ass and took names even after he got captured. In the POW camp, he broke into the SS barracks and stole all sorts of stuff, then denied he knew anything about it!

But he really hates talking about the war, which given that it cost him two brothers isn't very surprising.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:14 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Sadly the WW2 generation spawned a generation of self-loathing leftists who were born into a hard-won prosperity and who hated their parents and their countries and their civilization for it.

Funny, you seem to be the one hating what they wrought - high taxes, shrinking income inequality, high union membership, moving toward a better and better life for all. Pensions, medicare, etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:15 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
andyt andyt:
My guess is the guys who really are, don't talk about it, certainly don't brag about it.

Good guess. One gent who recently passed at the Legion was a Royal Marine, and even in his 80's I'm sure he could have snapped me in two. But he never spoke of it, it was just the way he carried himself.

Yep, my wife's father-in-law was a badass in WW2 who kicked ass and took names even after he got captured. In the POW camp, he broke into the SS barracks and stole all sorts of stuff, then denied he knew anything about it!

But he really hates talking about the war, which given that it cost him two brothers isn't very surprising.

they were guys who did their job, got on with it, then wanted to live a good civilian life, not glory in their exploits and exploit their glory.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Sadly the WW2 generation spawned a generation of self-loathing leftists who were born into a hard-won prosperity and who hated their parents and their countries and their civilization for it.

Perhaps if they hadn't suffered through the Great Depression brought on by the greedoids on the right, they might have taken a more centrist path.

You reap what you sow.

Besides, Reagan's run-and-gun 80s wiped out most of the things the WW2 generation put in place anyways, so quit yer bitching! :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:24 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
He would NEVER discuss it and he made it real plain at one point that he didn't want to discuss it ever.

My grand uncle who was on Juno, only spoke about his combat once. He was very, very intoxicated and he wept. This was one of my last memories of him, as he soon passed away from cancer. There is bravery in war, but there is no glory. Anyone who has been involved with it or dealt with its victims knows this.

Same in my family. My Grandfather lost a finger in combat in WWI. My Uncle lost part of his hand on Juno Beach (swore he met James Doohan in the hospital too!). They'd never discuss it.

I don't understand why this guy would want to impersonate a soldier, given how they tend to be treated by our government.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I don't understand why this guy would want to impersonate a soldier, given how they tend to be treated by our government.

He wants the glory we are currently bestowing on soldiers, very simple. And it's not as if the govt is going to come and waterboard him - he doesn't register for them. And the vets aren't actually waterboarded either, just not given all the benefits they feel they deserve.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:33 am

If his wedding pictures are any indication.........it's not the first time he's done this. I'm glad he's publicly outed too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:22 am

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

He wants the glory we are currently bestowing on soldiers, very simple. And it's not as if the govt is going to come and waterboard him - he doesn't register for them. And the vets aren't actually waterboarded either, just not given all the benefits they feel they deserve.

See, now that's why people call you a troll.

A serviceman who lost both legs in World War II was given a decent living pension, with additional pensions for wives and children so they could live a decent life and not be burdens because of the breadwinners disability. For the life of the vet, it would be about $2 Million in pay. Sounds a lot like a guaranteed minimum wage, doesn't it?

A serviceman who got his legs blown off in Afghanistan is offered a one time $50k payout. The Legion, I'm ashamed to say, supports a maximum payout of $350k.

It's not what they 'feel they deserve' it's what we owe them for the service we asked of them, and the same as what we gave to those who came before.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:25 am

andyt andyt:
He wants the glory we are currently bestowing on soldiers, very simple.

I just don't ever appreciate why, especially in this day and age, that someone would try to do this. Military records are readily accessible to those who know people and verifying someone's story can typically be done on the same day, if not in minutes.

A part of me feels sorry for these people that their own lives are so lacking that they have to invent something else. Why not just imagine the life you want to live and then make it happen? :?:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:29 am

Because that takes more work. People like this phony want the glory, but aren't willing to do what it takes to properly earn it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:32 am

andyt andyt:
Funny, you seem to be the one hating what they wrought - high taxes, shrinking income inequality, high union membership, moving toward a better and better life for all. Pensions, medicare, etc.

What's ironic about your comment is that the high taxes of the 1950's were repealed by John F. Kennedy. The high union membership has been eroded by globalist trade policies that have principally originated in Europe.

And your idea of a 'better and better life for all' is so full of fail that not even the Russians and the Chinese want it back.

Pensions are failing because government unions are bankrupting them worldwide. Medicare is being eliminated in order to move people and funding to Obamacare.

And why do we need high taxes? Why are high taxes so intrinsically important to people like you? You want high taxes all on their own, no matter what the revenue will fund. Why is that?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:59 pm

This guy must be as thick as a plank. He puts on a "Para" beret, covers himself in medals, including one for bravery (rarely handed out)doesn't bother leaning what goes where on a uniform, then wades into a crowd of thousand of service people at the National cenotaph.

El stupido.

He may as well have dressed up in an Admiral's uniform, called himself a "Field Marshall" and shook hands with Princess Anne. If he hadn't just committed a crime as well as disrespecting everyone who really is qualified to wear his uniform, I'd feel sorry for the dumb schmuck.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:04 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
This guy must be as thick as a plank. He puts on a "Para" beret, covers himself in medals, including one for bravery (rarely handed out)doesn't bother leaning what goes where on a uniform, then wades into a crowd of thousand of service people at the National cenotaph.

El stupido.

He may as well have dressed up in an Admiral's uniform, called himself a "Field Marshall" and shook hands with Princess Anne. If he hadn't just committed a crime as well as disrespecting everyone who really is qualified to wear his uniform, I'd feel sorry for the dumb schmuck.

I'm thinking he should have just worn this outfit:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:19 pm

I would have handed HIM my suit cases and tenner!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Captain Obvious. :D