Title: Photo radar under review by Alberta government
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2017-05-12 10:08:09
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am

Like every other one of these exercises, the premise is flawed. Unless you immediately get pulled over and issued a ticket, your behaviour won't change. Therefore, it's not about safety, it's a cash cow.

Witness the city where I live just put sensors in every direction at every major intersection to catch you speeding, red light violations and turn on red violations. And you get a ticket a month after the fact! That doesn't change habits except by monetary loss for the vehicle owner, not the driver. Cash cow!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Like every other one of these exercises, the premise is flawed. Unless you immediately get pulled over and issued a ticket, your behaviour won't change. Therefore, it's not about safety, it's a cash cow.

Witness the city where I live just put sensors in every direction at every major intersection to catch you speeding, red light violations and turn on red violations. And you get a ticket a month after the fact! That doesn't change habits except by monetary loss for the vehicle owner, not the driver. Cash cow!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:05 am

Oh, I can't even imagine how hard we'd be 'resisting arrest' after that!

And the sensors are on overhanging poles. You'd have to block traffic to mess with them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:09 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
And the sensors are on overhanging poles. You'd have to block traffic to mess with them.

8)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:29 am

This is Alberta. .410 with birdshot. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:31 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Make the cameras conspicuous with ample signage and well-known zones where the radar is in effect, just like they do with red light cameras. That should solve the problem. In that situation I have no sympathy for someone who keeps getting nailed in that situation....milk that cow for all it's worth!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:46 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Make the cameras conspicuous with ample signage and well-known zones where the radar is in effect, just like they do with red light cameras. That should solve the problem. In that situation I have no sympathy for someone who keeps getting nailed in that situation....milk that cow for all it's worth!

The duty of government is to protect the citizens. Photo radar does nothing to protect anyone, or change driving habits. Knowing that certain intersections have sensors that will send you a bill in a month is incentive to slow down in those intersections - but everywhere else is a free for all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:58 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The duty of government is to protect the citizens.

Sadly there is no such legal requirement in either of our countries.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:05 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The duty of government is to protect the citizens. Photo radar does nothing to protect anyone, or change driving habits. Knowing that certain intersections have sensors that will send you a bill in a month is incentive to slow down in those intersections - but everywhere else is a free for all.

The government isn't protecting me while issuing a parking ticket either, but it's a tax on the ignorant.

"stupid" taxes are fine with me. If you know it's a photo-radar zone and you rip through it, that's on you.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Coach85 Coach85:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

The government isn't protecting me while issuing a parking ticket either, but it's a tax on the ignorant.

"stupid" taxes are fine with me. If you know it's a photo-radar zone and you rip through it, that's on you.

Parking tickets are right there waiting for you when you get back. The lesson is instant, not delayed.

And if parking is affecting public safety, you get towed.

The asshole driving closer to me than I'd comfortably park, while we are driving at 110km/h isn't getting a photo radar ticket, nor will he get instruction on why what he's doing is very dangerous. Having actual traffic cops is essential to changing people's driving habits. Something they claim photo radar will accomplish.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:40 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
This is Alberta. .410 with birdshot. ;)

Na, just send this guy on a drive around.

Attachments:
50_cal_gunner-a.jpg
50_cal_gunner-a.jpg [ 66.05 KiB | Viewed 46 times ]
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:46 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The asshole driving closer to me than I'd comfortably park, while we are driving at 110km/h isn't getting a photo radar ticket, nor will he get instruction on why what he's doing is very dangerous. Having actual traffic cops is essential to changing people's driving habits.

Case in point:

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/to ... too-close/

$1:
Posted 21 Jan 2014

Just got my first love letter from the Bavarian Police. In brief, I was caught tailgating (if you can call that being 25 meters behind) the car in front of me, which apparently was below the "halbe Tacho" limit (if you're doing 100 km/h, the distance you should leave to the car in front of you is 50 meters or more - 100/2). Result - 180 euros fine, 28 euros processing fees (quite funny, considering the letter was printed out by a machine), 3 points on my driving license and a good lesson learned.

My German teacher also said a few of her friends got tickets for the same offence in the past few weeks - seems to be the new "hip" thing to do among Bavarian police.

Bottom line - drive safely, leave a good distance to the car in front of you.

Just in case - here's the fine catalog, turns out I was in fact lucky, there are even license suspensions listed there: http://www.kba.de/nn_124736/DE/Punktsys ... stand.html

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Back in England camera's where placed on motorway overpasses to catch speeders. People would drive across the overpasses at night and spray paint the camera lenses black.

No occifer I have no paint! :D

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:44 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Parking tickets are right there waiting for you when you get back. The lesson is instant, not delayed.

And if parking is affecting public safety, you get towed.

The asshole driving closer to me than I'd comfortably park, while we are driving at 110km/h isn't getting a photo radar ticket, nor will he get instruction on why what he's doing is very dangerous. Having actual traffic cops is essential to changing people's driving habits. Something they claim photo radar will accomplish.

When I was a kid my dad used to drive rallies. He had a switch installed on the dash that set off the brake lights so it only looked like he slowed for the turn. I dream of having one when driving any of the highways around here. It's crazy how close they get