Title: Plains of Abraham re-enactment cancelled
Category: History
Posted By: Eisensapper
Date: 2009-02-17 08:33:47
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:38 am

I am starting to see a lot of parallels between separatists and Muslim fundamentalist.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:56 am

Just another form of terrorisim if you ask me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 am

I've often referred to them as Sepraterrorists.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 am

France won the Seven Years' War.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 am

Do they realize how stupid they look on an international level?? 8O 8O 8O

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 am

-Mario- -Mario-:

Hmmm. No. What is stupid is how insensitive Ottawa was in planing this event.

Most Quebecers, separatists and federalists alike, will tell you that the battle of the plains of Abraham was a painful battle in which thousands were killed, houses and farms were destroyed, women were raped, etc. The occupation was only softened after the passage of the Quebec Act of 1774, when the Brits returned SOME rights to Quebecers in an attempt to buy their loyalty on the eve of the US's declaration of inedpendance.

The battle is a historical fact, no one denies it. Even the separatists. But most have an issue with "celebrating" the event. For the same reasons Polish people won't "celebrate" their 1939 invasion by Germany, or Tibet, with the 1951 invasion by China. Too recent to compare? Fine. Ask natives why they won't celebrate Christopher Columbus' "discovery" of America in 1492. The list can go on an on.

Same thing. No one denies the history books. But please party and celebrate on your own dime, in your own backyard. Not ours.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:11 pm

$1:
Same thing. No one denies the history books. But please party and celebrate on your own dime, in your own backyard. Not ours.

Eeehh, well. It happened in Quebec City. Not in Yellowknife.
And last time I checked, Quebec City is in Canada, not France.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:30 pm

What utter nonsense. The Battle was the beginning of the emergence of Canada as a nation in our history, under British rule. Maybe some French Canadians don't care to remember that but it is an undeniable part of our history. And celebrating some of the key events that lead to the formation of Canada as it exists today (including Quebec, whether the Separatists like or not), is a perfectly good use of taxpayer funds.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Quebecgurlll Quebecgurlll:
-Mario- -Mario-:

The occupation was only softened after the passage of the Quebec Act of 1774, when the Brits returned SOME rights to Quebecers in an attempt to buy their loyalty on the eve of the US's declaration of inedpendance.

I'm getting really tired of that "the Brits took the French Canadians rights" argument. Can you PLEASE explain to me what are the rights you guys are always talking about? What "rights" did French Canadians have under the French Crown (absolutism rings a bell?) What 'rights' were taken away after 1763 that made such a huge impact on ordinary people in the St-Lawrence Valley?

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:43 pm

I am willing to concede that the Royal Proclamation of 1763 was an attempt to force assimilation on French Canadians. Indeed, that pretty much beyond historical debate.

But after that didn't work out so well, the British passed the Quebec Act of 1774 and the Constitutional Act of 1791, both of which were designed to protect the French culture, legal system, and way of life in Lower Canada/Quebec.

I can understand why it must be frustrating to think of the French as losing the seven years war and being "forced" into English rule if you are sympathetic to that point of view. But in 2009, as a citizen of CANADA, you should be proud of the steps that ultimately lead to our nation. And you should identify as a CANADIAN, not a poor oppressed 18th century francophone!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:54 pm

DrJones DrJones:
I am willing to concede that the Royal Proclamation of 1763 was an attempt to force assimilation on French Canadians. Indeed, that pretty much beyond historical debate.

But after that didn't work out so well, the British passed the Quebec Act of 1774 and the Constitutional Act of 1791, both of which were designed to protect the French culture, legal system, and way of life in Lower Canada/Quebec.

I can understand why it must be frustrating to think of the French as losing the seven years war and being "forced" into English rule if you are sympathetic to that point of view. But in 2009, as a citizen of CANADA, you should be proud of the steps that ultimately lead to our nation. And you should identify as a CANADIAN, not a poor oppressed 18th century francophone!

I know that the British wanted to assimilate the French Canadians some time in the future - I am not arguing that.

What I disagree with is the 'rights' that were supposedly taken away after 1763 and somehow given back after 1774. What rights did the French Canadians have before 1759 that were taken away during the period 1763-1774?

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Hmmm... I suppose the French legal system was done away with, wasn't it, for that time period? That must have affected some rights.

http://faculty.marianopolis.edu/c.belan ... /royal.htm

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 pm

-Mario- -Mario-:

It's never stopped them before.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 pm

Regina Regina: