bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:58 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I'd rather have them piss up a rope than go on a fishing expedition at my expense. ;)

no arguments from me on that!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:17 pm

andyt andyt:
The difference is that you have no rights crossing the border, but you do in your own country.

Since the cops say they would do with with a judge's approval, it seems no different to me than getting a search warrant. I have no problem with it in that case.

rickc rickc:
BRAH BRAH:
When you cross the Canadian US border you're asked for access to electronic devices so what's the difference?

There is a ton of difference. When you cross the border you can be ordered to submit to warrantless body cavity searches. Should your local police have that power as well?

Alain Philippon pleads guilty over smartphone password border dispute

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/alain-philippon-to-plead-guilty-cellphone-1.3721110

$1:
A Quebec man who refused to give his smartphone password to border officials at Halifax Stanfield International Airport last year has pleaded guilty and been fined $500.

In Canada this is what refusing to give up your password gets you.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:56 pm

The next time I come to Canada I'll just go buy a burner phone to bring with me. Like fucking hell they're getting into my stuff just because they feel like it.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:56 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
The next time I come to Canada I'll just go buy a burner phone to bring with me. Like fucking hell they're getting into my stuff just because they feel like it.

Yep a Cheap Trac Phone should do it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:19 am

raydan raydan:
I have absolutely no expectation of privacy about anything that goes through a third party. :(

I agree, totally. But there is a difference between voluntarily giving up some personal information in return for being a target of advertising, and the government requiring you give them all your information.

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I'd buy the burner once I got there. ;) That way they can't record the IMEI number when you go through customs. ;) Roaming charges would be lower too.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:56 pm

Bart, you don't think that the US government isn't doing the same thing right now to just about everyone in the US? Have all these 'leaks' gone to deaf ears?