bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 am

stratos stratos:
An argument could be put forth for WWII against Japan but it might not hold up very well.
Considering we had troops stationed to help defend Hong Kong a month before you folks were attacked, that's a bit of a reach. And you didn't join to defend us, but yourselves.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:14 am

$1:
Considering we had troops stationed to help defend Hong Kong a month before you folks were attacked, that's a bit of a reach. And you didn't join to defend us, but yourselves.

Brigadier Lawson was a fucking Beast.
$1:
After fierce fighting, Japanese forces surrounded Lawson's headquarters at around 10 a.m. on 19 December. Lawson radioed his commanders that he was "going outside to fight it out" and left his pillbox with a pistol in each hand, and was killed in the ensuing fight.[1][3]

When the Japanese arrived and found his body, they gave him a military burial nearby in Wong Nai Chong Gap out of respect for his courage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_K._Lawson

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 am

peck420 peck420:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
This is a tech issue...Canada doesn't have the tech to stop our tech from transiting the NWP nor can you stop the Russians, Chinese, British, French, Dutch, Swedes, Japanese, or especially the Germans.

Yawn.

And if your country could, you would be doing it now.

But, you can't.

Sad face....tear.

We are and have been transiting the NWP since the late 1950's. We call it a freedom of navigation exercise yet there it is all the same.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:13 pm

I don't get this term "Ally"

What does this exactly mean?

Ally is someone who is of equal power and strength, especially in terms of economy and military.

Nobody has that strength like Americans have in those domains so that means whoever countries get called by Americans "ALLIES" are actually "puppets".

Pakistan was also called an ally but smarter folks over here knew what we were at that time.

This is bullshit term, easily fools people.

my 2 cents here.

No offense to Americans as people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:19 pm

Fighter Fighter:

Ally is someone who is of equal power and strength, especially in terms of economy and military.

Nobody has that strength like Americans have in those domains so that means whoever countries get called by Americans "ALLIES" are actually "puppets".

Pakistan was also called an ally but smarter folks over here knew what we were at that time.

my 2 cents here.

An ally used to mean nations that were aligned and would fight alongside each other for a common purpose. but you're right Fighter...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Fighter Fighter:

my 2 cents here.

It means when push comes to shove we stand by each other because we share (largely) similar interests and values. And it means we have each other's back when shit hits the fan. It's why we landed thousands of people on 9/11 in our cities. Or why mexico sent firefighters to Alberta to help fight the wild fire. Or Australia and new zealand sending some to california. And it means that if the U.S. were to be attacked, Canada would spin up it's military and go to war with them against who ever attacked.

The problem with your area is that you shouldn't trust anyone around you as far as you can throw them. As much as I hate the government to the south, it will change eventually. The governments that surround you are largely corrupt immoral dictators. So allies there don't make much sense.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:05 pm

Fighter Fighter:

my 2 cents here.

An ally is someone who you can depend upon in a pinch. That doesn't always mean you're friends with them, but that you watch their back and they watch yours because it's in your mutual interest to do so.

Alliances do not hinge upon a balance of power. They never have and they never will. Stronger countries seek out alliances for military reasons but sometimes the point of the alliance is to bring a potential adversary into your circle of trust.

After the Cold War ended I got to work closely with Speaker Gingrich in the US Congress on improving relations with Russia and I adamantly advocated bringing Russia into NATO to help bring Russia into the West and to help them integrate into Europe. We at least got them an observer seat at NATO and that went a long way to reducing tensions at least until a weak Obama sat on his hands and allowed Russia to be taken over by criminal oligarchs.

An alliance with Russia would make the world so much safer and so much more peaceful.

Even if we're not necessarily friends or equals.

The USA has a number of allies and we are not always friends with all of them. Yet we have mutual interests.

Pakistan and the USA have mutual interests and the security of Pakistan is of national interest to the USA because a strong and capable Pakistan stabilizes Southwest Asia and helps to convince the Iranians not to look east with their imperial ambitions.

Yes, we have puppets. And sometimes the US is the puppet for other countries. That happens.

Yet we have alliances with countries that are not our puppets and never will be. France, Spain, Brazil, etc.

Only because we have mutual interests.

And if those interests should diverge then the alliances will predictably end.

I expect the NATO alliance to end sometime soon. The European Union sees itself as an adversary to the USA and it wants to establish a national military. They don't seem to be too interested in NATO so when the EU takes over the militaries of its members the US is unlikely to continue supporting NATO.

The alliance will end because our interests have diverged.

Oddly, the European Union establishing a military that is not aligned with the US will inevitably cause Russia to more closely align with the USA. We may even form an alliance to counter European Union aggression.

And even though the US and Russia won't be best friends we will still be allies because of a mutual interest.

Who knows? An aggressive and imperialistic China could force India and Pakistan to form an alliance.

No one will expect you folks to be best friends yet you could still have a very strong alliance because your mutual interests will outweigh your mutual animosities. And parity or equality will be irrelevant and neither will be the other's puppet...ever.

Does that make sense to you?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:16 pm

It's built far too much on wishful thinking. One, it wildly underestimates the streak of hard anti-American hate that's built into the Russian mentality - they were as likely to outright refuse American help when the Soviet system collapsed as the US was to offer it. Two, it wildly underestimated how quickly the new Russia got dominated by organized crime when Soviet police authority (that was corrupt to begin with) became effectively non-existent - not only did they fill the power vacuums where state authority disappeared they also began money-laundering into the West as fast as they could and built as many connections as they could among their Western counterparts.

Russia is a badly infected and comprehensively depraved/degenerate society. The bad elements are too deeply entrenched now into both the overall culture and the government to ever be rooted out. And that makes them too dangerous and prone to graft to ever take on as even a party reliable or trustworthy partner. They have been and always will be an adversarial entity.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanos Thanos:
It's built far too much on wishful thinking. One, it wildly underestimates the streak of hard anti-American hate that's built into the Russian mentality - they were as likely to outright refuse American help when the Soviet system collapsed as the US was to offer it. Two, it wildly underestimated how quickly the new Russia got dominated by organized crime when Soviet police authority (that was corrupt to begin with) became effectively non-existent - not only did they fill the power vacuums where state authority disappeared they also began money-laundering into the West as fast as they could and built as many connections as they could among their Western counterparts.

Russia is a badly infected and comprehensively depraved/degenerate society. The bad elements are too deeply entrenched now into both the overall culture and the government to ever be rooted out. And that makes them too dangerous and prone to graft to ever take on as even a party reliable or trustworthy partner. They have been and always will be an adversarial entity.

We had a very narrow window to draw Russia into a friendlier relationship and that was between spring of 1995 and maybe even as late as summer of 1997.

What killed the possibility was the war in Kosovo and the Balkans. The US and NATO aligned with the Muslims and the Russians have always been aligned with the Serbs. We went into the thing together but emerged on opposite sides.

Things almost went to shit at the Pristina Airport (like WW3) and the result was the election of Putin and the effective resumption of the Cold War.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:01 pm

And that shows the depravity of basic Russian thinking, that they'd develop that kind of resentment when one of their allies that was engaged in the worst rape/murder atrocities seen in Europe since WW2 got slapped around by the West. And the West should have acted much sooner than it did, with real force and not dopey well-wishing peace-keeping, to put a stop to what the Serbs were doing. Yes, the Croats and Bosnians are not good either by any stretch of the imagination. The Serbs did the worst of it though. And managed to keep most of their territorial gains that they made through terrorizing and mass-murdering civilians. That means the Russians chose to ignore that their ally won, despite opposition from the West, which makes their resentment that much more nauseating.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanos Thanos:
And that shows the depravity of basic Russian thinking, that they'd develop that kind of resentment when one of their allies that was engaged in the worst rape/murder atrocities seen in Europe since WW2 got slapped around by the West. And the West should have acted much sooner than it did, with real force and not dopey well-wishing peace-keeping, to put a stop to what the Serbs were doing. Yes, the Croats and Bosnians are not good either by any stretch of the imagination. The Serbs did the worst of it though. And managed to keep most of their territorial gains that they made through terrorizing and mass-murdering civilians. That means the Russians chose to ignore that their ally won, despite opposition from the West, which makes their resentment that much more nauseating.

The thing was that the West ginned up a pile of bullshit about the 'genocide'.

We claimed that some 250,000 to 300,000 were being killed by the Serbs. We claimed that the Serbs were invading Kosovo.

The truth was about 2500 were killed and almost all of them irregular combatants like you see in the sandbox. And the truth was that the Albanian Muslims were forcing their way into Kosovo and displacing native Serbs with organized atrocities.

NATO got involved because Europe's most important tin mine is located there and it is still in NATO hands being run for the profits of the EU.

The Serbs lost Kosovo and the Russians hate us for going to war against Serbs in favor of the Saudi backed Albanian Muslims who to this day routinely fly the Albanian flag in place of the Kosovo flag and thereby acknowledge the reality that Kosovo was annexed by Albania.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:37 am

Fighter Fighter:

And to further others' posts; Canada and Pakistan are allied through the Commonwealth of Nations. We do have mutual defence agreements.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:57 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Fighter Fighter:

And to further others' posts; Canada and Pakistan are allied through the Commonwealth of Nations. We do have mutual defence agreements.

I think you're right, sir...

Yes, Pakistan is part of common wealth alliance.

Hope to see some nice exchanges/steps b/w Pakistan and Canada in terms of culture, military and trade.

:rock:

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Fighter Fighter:

my 2 cents here.

An ally is someone who you can depend upon in a pinch. That doesn't always mean you're friends with them, but that you watch their back and they watch yours because it's in your mutual interest to do so.

Alliances do not hinge upon a balance of power. They never have and they never will. Stronger countries seek out alliances for military reasons but sometimes the point of the alliance is to bring a potential adversary into your circle of trust.

After the Cold War ended I got to work closely with Speaker Gingrich in the US Congress on improving relations with Russia and I adamantly advocated bringing Russia into NATO to help bring Russia into the West and to help them integrate into Europe. We at least got them an observer seat at NATO and that went a long way to reducing tensions at least until a weak Obama sat on his hands and allowed Russia to be taken over by criminal oligarchs.

An alliance with Russia would make the world so much safer and so much more peaceful.

Even if we're not necessarily friends or equals.

The USA has a number of allies and we are not always friends with all of them. Yet we have mutual interests.

Pakistan and the USA have mutual interests and the security of Pakistan is of national interest to the USA because a strong and capable Pakistan stabilizes Southwest Asia and helps to convince the Iranians not to look east with their imperial ambitions.

Yes, we have puppets. And sometimes the US is the puppet for other countries. That happens.

Yet we have alliances with countries that are not our puppets and never will be. France, Spain, Brazil, etc.

Only because we have mutual interests.

And if those interests should diverge then the alliances will predictably end.

I expect the NATO alliance to end sometime soon. The European Union sees itself as an adversary to the USA and it wants to establish a national military. They don't seem to be too interested in NATO so when the EU takes over the militaries of its members the US is unlikely to continue supporting NATO.

The alliance will end because our interests have diverged.

Oddly, the European Union establishing a military that is not aligned with the US will inevitably cause Russia to more closely align with the USA. We may even form an alliance to counter European Union aggression.

And even though the US and Russia won't be best friends we will still be allies because of a mutual interest.

Who knows? An aggressive and imperialistic China could force India and Pakistan to form an alliance.

No one will expect you folks to be best friends yet you could still have a very strong alliance because your mutual interests will outweigh your mutual animosities. And parity or equality will be irrelevant and neither will be the other's puppet...ever.

Does that make sense to you?

I can't help myself but thank you for such detailed reply...Really appreciate it. Some points of yours really made a lot of sense...Mutual interest can play a part...depends on how both parties leverage it.

[B-o]

llama66 llama66:
Fighter Fighter:

my 2 cents here.

An ally used to mean nations that were aligned and would fight alongside each other for a common purpose. but you're right Fighter...

Thanks.

Tricks Tricks:
Fighter Fighter:

my 2 cents here.

It means when push comes to shove we stand by each other because we share (largely) similar interests and values. And it means we have each other's back when shit hits the fan. It's why we landed thousands of people on 9/11 in our cities. Or why mexico sent firefighters to Alberta to help fight the wild fire. Or Australia and new zealand sending some to california. And it means that if the U.S. were to be attacked, Canada would spin up it's military and go to war with them against who ever attacked.

The problem with your area is that you shouldn't trust anyone around you as far as you can throw them. As much as I hate the government to the south, it will change eventually. The governments that surround you are largely corrupt immoral dictators. So allies there don't make much sense.

R=UP

Yes, you're right...In case of war, Pakistan can only depend on China and Turkiye....

India is hostile
Iran is ambiguous,
Afghanistan can barely help itself.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Fighter Fighter:
R=UP

Yes, you're right...In case of war, Pakistan can only depend on China and Turkiye....

India is hostile
Iran is ambiguous,
Weird choices of people to depend on, considering Erdogan has brutal human rights atrocities under his belt, and China is rounding up and throwing muslims in camps.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 am

Tricks Tricks:
Fighter Fighter:
R=UP

India is hostile
Iran is ambiguous,
Weird choices of people to depend on, considering Erdogan has brutal human rights atrocities under his belt, and China is rounding up and throwing muslims in camps.

Pakistan has wonderful relations with both Turkiye and China...I am sure there is some sort of understanding if push comes to shove