Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Pauline Marois and her separatists gang at the PQ does not necessarily equate the entire province.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:44 pm

Ya know, it seems to me that the best chance to preserve the French culture and heritage in Canada would be for them to actively promote it. The art, the music, the architecture. I mean, as much as it pains me to say it, Quebec City is one of Canada's best kept secrets. It is a jewel that everyone should visit. Montreal is as multicultural as Toronto, without the pole shoved up its ass. The Gatineaus are spectacular, especially in the fall.
There is so much more Quebec has to offer. It's just too bad a minority have spent so long pissing the rest of the country off. The money might have been better spent trying to encourage the rest of Canada to see what Quebec has to offer. To embrace the French part of our nation's history and culture instead of trying to cram it down a segment of the population's throat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:45 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Ya know, it seems to me that the best chance to preserve the French culture and heritage in Canada would be for them to actively promote it. The art, the music, the architecture. I mean, as much as it pains me to say it, Quebec City is one of Canada's best kept secrets. It is a jewel that everyone should visit. Montreal is as multicultural as Toronto, without the pole shoved up its ass. The Gatineaus are spectacular, especially in the fall.
There is so much more Quebec has to offer. It's just too bad a minority have spent so long pissing the rest of the country off. The money might have been better spent trying to encourage the rest of Canada to see what Quebec has to offer. To embrace the French part of our nation's history and culture instead of trying to cram it down a segment of the population's throat.

R=UP

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Other than demanding that the Federal Government operate bilingually, where and when has Quebec ever 'crammed' their culture down the rest of the country's throat?

I can't think of a single instance. Most Quebeckers are rather indifferent as to whether people in Ontario or BC speak French.

One thing is for sure, they do have a culture and they are not afraid to assume it fully, which is more than can be said about the rest of the country, I regret to admit.

What English-Canada finds offensive in Quebec, aside from the total arrogance of many virulent separatists (which any decent person would find offensive), is it's désinvolture, it's willingness to stand up for itself and be different and not be ashamed of it or corny about it.

This is why I always say that Quebec is not only part of Canada, but it's the most Canadian part of Canada because it is the part of Canada which is truly unique and different from the rest of the entire world. Unlike English-Canadians, they don't try to 'fit in' with the rest of the continent or the world. They don't live in the shadow of the United States, they refuse to complacently conform. Their only fault as a nation is living in the shadow of their own past, which has rendered many of them so far incapable of accepting the one thing about them they don't want to accept: their Canadianness.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:02 pm

What a crock.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:57 am

When I graduated from high school, I couldn't apply to University of Calgary until I qualified for mature student status. You know why? Because I didn't have my french 30. I think this qualifies as jamming french down my throat.

I have other examples that are mostly annoying, like Chinese f#cking Noodles where the entire case is placed on the shelf with the french side facing out. FFS, if I can't read the english side of a chinese noodle package in Alberta, then I damn well expect to be looking at chinese. :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:17 am

MacDonaill MacDonaill:
This is why I always say that Quebec is not only part of Canada, but it's the most Canadian part of Canada because it is the part of Canada which is truly unique and different from the rest of the entire world. Unlike English-Canadians, they don't try to 'fit in' with the rest of the continent or the world. They don't live in the shadow of the United States, they refuse to complacently conform. Their only fault as a nation is living in the shadow of their own past, which has rendered many of them so far incapable of accepting the one thing about them they don't want to accept: their Canadianness.

You must be gnashing your teeth every day since your living in Ontario surrounding by all these lemming english Canadians.

Why don't you enlighten us as to why you left la belle province to move and live with the rest of the heathens ? Career opportunity ? married an anglais ? which is it ?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:18 am

$1:
'Canada's University' home to first Bloc club

OTTAWA — It bills itself as “Canada’s University” and is headed by a former federal Liberal cabinet minister who fought for Canadian unity.

Now, the University of Ottawa is also home to the first Bloc Quebecois student club outside of Quebec.

Les Bloquistes de l’Universite d’Ottawa, recently approved by the university’s student federation, is now eligible for a variety of services, such as use of rooms at the university, and up to $1,000 a year in funding from the student federation to help it promote its goal of a sovereign Quebec.

“Now we can organize conferences to promote the Bloc Quebecois’ ideas and the sovereigntist movement,” said Jean-François Landry, president of the Bloc Quebecois’ youth wing, Forum Jeunesse, and a student at the university and member of the club.

The Bloc is one of several political clubs among the more than 170 clubs on campus. In fact, the only major federal party that isn’t currently represented on campus is the Liberal Party — despite the fact the university’s president is former federal Liberal cabinet minister Allan Rock.

Roxanne Denis, assistant clubs co-ordinator for the student federation, said there have been no complaints about the Bloc club being accredited. On the contrary, she said it widens the scope of debate on campus.

Tristan Dénommée, president of the Bloc’s student club, said the club has about 25 members so far, has held its first meeting and is planning to invite Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe to speak on campus.

The bilingual university appears to be popular with both Quebecers and members of the Bloc Quebecois. In fact, two of the Bloc youth wing’s nine-member executive attend the University of Ottawa, as well as a third student who was, until recently, on the executive.

Landry, who describes himself as a foreign student, is quick to point out they all live in Quebec.

Can this fall under ramming it down our throats ?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 am

funny to see separatists to go study in Ottawa, in a bilingual university.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:48 am

Proculation Proculation:

Around here not so strange, alot of separatists work for the federal government as well that vote bloc time and time again.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:53 am

Bodah Bodah:
Proculation Proculation:

Around here not so strange, alot of separatists work for the federal government as well that vote bloc time and time again.

I know but it's the situation. They get jobs/university/etc because of the "maudits anglais" but they are separatists. They are not really consequent with what they think.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:24 am

Isn't that clled "the best of both worlds"? :lol:
Or hypocritical, of course.

If you stand for something, and it is so important to you, stand for it. Don't be half-assed about it. :P

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:38 am

Brenda Brenda:
Isn't that clled "the best of both worlds"? :lol:
Or hypocritical, of course.

If you stand for something, and it is so important to you, stand for it. Don't be half-assed about it. :P

I agree but again I state that they are a minority here. We hear a lot about them but THEY ARE A MINORITY. We should just not give them all the news they get.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 am

lol I've just seen that I have 3525 messages IN ENGLISH here and I still can't speak english in day to day life... Vive le Québec libre ! (sarcasm...)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:41 am

Proculation Proculation:
lol I've just seen that I have 3525 messages IN ENGLISH here and I still can't speak english in day to day life... Vive le Québec libre ! (sarcasm...)

You're written English is great :)

And yes, you can ;-) You just don't do it often enough :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 ... 11  Next