canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:45 am

Not really...it's made in China or New Zealand or....

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/10/2 ... canada_eh/

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:09 pm

I watched the entire episode. That is truly disturbing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Holy crap... That's friggen disappointing and misleading.

It should be law to describe exactly where it's from...

I like Marketplace. It's a neat show.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:26 pm

a coworker had some sort of exotic chinese fruit for lunch, I'm sure it was watered with chinese water.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:29 pm

I've heard about this issue briefly in past news, quite scary. If they're not telling us where our food is actually from, How can we trust the product itself? :?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 pm

When I watch stories like this, I can't help but think that there ought to be a website for consumers - a place where we can post the information that the companies are trying to keep away from us.

Marketplace does some awesome research, but I kind feel like I am being left in the dark now that the can of worms has been opened.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 am

So sad...now we can't trust the "Made in Canada" labels....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:47 am

You definitely need to be careful - I've seen the signs at the grocery store for produce say "Product of Canada", but if you look at the sticker/label on the actual product, it says it's from Chile or Mexico or somewhere... not sure if that's just using old signs for new produce or what, but I always double check now.

The solution is simple - find an independent local producer that you trust and buy directly from them. If you really care about supporting Canadian products, you'll have to do a little research beyond looking in the grocery store flyer.

We're trying out vegetable basket delivery this season - starting sometime this month, we'll start getting a basket of in season local produce every other week delivered to our door.

I know for certain that there are programs in Halifax and Ottawa, and they probably exist in most major centres, so it's just a matter of looking around!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:12 am

They did make changes to the lablling regulations but it looks like that hasn't come about yet. These rules took effect Dec. 2008 but as shown below, it will take some time to become common.

$1:
Will I Be Seeing More Items Stating "Product Of Canada" On Store Shelves In January?

Don't bet on it. First, the changes take place on Dec. 31, so any food shipped out of the manufacturing plants until then still falls under the current labelling rules. Expect a lag of anywhere from a few weeks to six months before the products with the new labels hit store shelves.

And because companies have only had five months to comply with these new rules, many insiders suspect that what we'll see is companies making no claims at all, or as few as they have to.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/ne ... 5dceb4&p=1

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:30 am

IF we continue down this path Canada will be a colony of China....!!!!!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:29 am

When I mentioned the marketp[ace report to my wife, she mentioned that the regulations are changing. Where she works, they are legally required to change the label to " Product of Canada, with imported contents"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:34 am

I am seeing a huge increase in the phrase "IMPORTED BY CANADA", without disclosing it's actual location.

*eats Old Dutch chips* These chips say Product of Canada... And it's a proudly Canadian brand...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:47 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
I am seeing a huge increase in the phrase "IMPORTED BY CANADA", without disclosing it's actual location.

*eats Old Dutch chips* These chips say Product of Canada... And it's a proudly Canadian brand...

thats true. its only a partial fix. They are still not required to report where the imported ingredients is from.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 am

stemmer stemmer:
IF we continue down this path Canada will be a colony of China....!!!!!

Canadians make excellent colonists, we never kicked out the british like the US did.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:51 am

ASLplease ASLplease:
When I watch stories like this, I can't help but think that there ought to be a website for consumers - a place where we can post the information that the companies are trying to keep away from us.

Marketplace does some awesome research, but I kind feel like I am being left in the dark now that the can of worms has been opened.

Has anyone given this some thought?