Posted By: SigPig
Date: 2009-04-06 07:44:35
Canadian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 am

With the current focus on stemming high-school dropouts, discipline and punctuality are not longer reinforced, and students come to university expecting to continue that, he added.

What about spell check....lmfao

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:46 am

Spell check wouldn't have caught that. Needed a good proof-reading.

In my university experience, which ended five years ago, it was English skills that were lacking more than Math skills. But then again, I was in a math-heavy program (physics).

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:57 am

It depends what program you go into. I have done part of an engineering degree before switching to history. When in engineering most probably couldn't write you a decent academic paper with proper structure and citations. But they were able to communicate their ideas effectively to you, just not in an argumentative paper. When I went to history people could write you a phenomenal university but I have seen kids take out their cell phones to find out the percentage for 15 out of 20.

IMHO I would take the engineer who can't write an academic paper which is useless in the real world but is still able to communicate and knows basic arithmetic.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 am

SigPig SigPig:
IMHO I would take the engineer who can't write an academic paper which is useless in the real world but is still able to communicate and knows basic arithmetic.

As an engineer, I will say right now that I have never been in a situation where someone didnt appreciate good grammar and punctuation as well as good technical ability. It has always been my experience that the two go hand in hand.

Be precise. Be Clear. Make Money

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 am

I don't think this is anything new. When I was in high school, I skipped dozens of classes and it was never mentioned.

I remember profs at UofA trash talking the Alberta education system too, and that was about 15 years ago. One prof said something like this, "I expect well-written papers, not cut and paste jobs, which anyone who didn't go to high school in Alberta should be able to do quite easily". I have to admit I agree with him. Papers I wrote in the first year of university were dreadful, but by the time I graduated, I was a far better writer and could consistently get good grades.

Now that I'm back working on my Masters, the papers are even harder to write, but I still feel it's quite similar. If you want to pass, do the readings/homework, show up for class, and you'll be well prepared when the finals roll around.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:18 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
If you want to pass, do the readings/homework, show up for class, and you'll be well prepared when the finals roll around.

Amazing how many don't follow such simple straight forward advice! High school for me was a place to play sports and find out where the party was on Friday night. 8) I did just enough to graduate. Years later in an effort to upgrade my high school marks I went back for my Grade 13, and with a little effort, completeing my homework and actually attending class I finished with a +90% average.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:25 am

There is a widely held belief that just reading the textbooks is an adequate substitute for going to class. I even tried it a bit in my first year. It just doesn't work. The profs take those same readings and break them down and filter the information into what you need to know. Some of them drop hints on ocassion as to what is important for exams. There is absolutely no substitute for going to class. And why wouldn't you when you are paying for those classes anyways?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 am

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 am

It is so sad to see some of the so-called University grads nowadays. Most of them have no comprehension of the real world and expect to come out of University and get a 6 figure income and no responsibility. My son is very intelligent yet I am trying to convince him to go into a trade. Tradespeople seem to be able to set their own income as the demand will never go away. Myself I am going back to school to finish my power engineering courses and will basically be able to pick and choose which job I want.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:12 am

stokes stokes:
With the current focus on stemming high-school dropouts, discipline and punctuality are not longer reinforced, and students come to university expecting to continue that, he added.

What about spell check....lmfao
What I think they need to do is bring back tech education in a big way. Sometime around grade 8 students who are more interested in working with their hands need to be allowed to do just that. Good grief, our society needs mechanics, electricians and plumbers as much as we need doctors, philosophers and engineers.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:25 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Writing is a skill. Even the most intelligent people need to practise writing. What's really lacking today are the research skills. Kids entering post-secondary programs have relied too heavily on the internet; most have never read a non-fiction book or article. Undergraduate papers I see are like encyclodia entries (lots of facts, no critical thinking). And the saddest part is that the kids HONESTLY don't understand that what they're submitting is SHIT.

PDT_Armataz_01_37

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 pm

Myself, as a lazy second year university student, could not agree more with what is being said here, in both the article and the forum posts. The comment on the quality, or lack thereof, of the Alberta education system is spot on.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 pm

stokes stokes:
As an engineer, I will say right now that I have never been in a situation where someone didnt appreciate good grammar and punctuation as well as good technical ability. It has always been my experience that the two go hand in hand.

Be precise. Be Clear. Make Money

I had a t-shirt in University:

"I Gradjuate Hi Schol. I are in Enjeneering." Something like that

I think I got it at the Power Plant. Anyone who knows the U of A knows that place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:34 am

SigPig SigPig:
It depends what program you go into. I have done part of an engineering degree before switching to history. When in engineering most probably couldn't write you a decent academic paper with proper structure and citations. But they were able to communicate their ideas effectively to you, just not in an argumentative paper. When I went to history people could write you a phenomenal university but I have seen kids take out their cell phones to find out the percentage for 15 out of 20.

Welcome to my world. I have graduate and doctoral students that write at the level of an elementary student. And, while it is a given that English isn't their first language, they are expected to be able to publish peer reviewed articles in English. Their abilities are so poor that they've had to create their own phony journals at some of the local universities, just so they can claim that they've been published. Don't get me started on Taiwanese 'so callled English' teachers.