canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:14 am

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=19032" target="_blank">R rating for movies that show smokng</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=News_Links&file=category&catid=19" target="_blank">Health</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Richard" target="_blank">Richard</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-02-12 21:04:43

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:14 am

We arn't doing what they are, right?

Perosanlly I like my relaxed movie ratings, :P 8)

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:29 am

I would supprt that. If it was implimented, BANG! The movie industry would practically eleminate smokeing in their movies to avoid and R-rating. Works for me.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 am

That is so stupid.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:12 am

People can get shot and chopped up without being rated R, and they're worried about smoking?

No - it limits artistic freedom.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:13 am

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
People can get shot and chopped up without being rated R, and they're worried about smoking?

No - it limits artistic freedom.
I agree. We need to take personal responsibility and quit blaming the media for all our shortcomings.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:56 am

What happens to the rating if it is a person that is on fire....because when they put him out he is technically smoking....take David Korish for example...I heard he just quit smoking.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:06 am

Really? Thats just weak. Have these parents thought of telling their kids the dangers of smoking? Hell why stop at smoking, next it will be alcohool use.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:17 am

Welcome to the Nanny state folks!

I guess they are going to have to reclassify movies like Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, virtually every western and war movie ever made and basically every movie made before 1975.........

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:54 am

Exactly Wullu. This is such a stupid idea.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:11 am

Yup. No more showing Inherit the Wind or To Kill a Mockingbird in school.

Are books that have people smoking in them going to be in plastic wrap behind the counter now as well?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:19 am

Why just single out smoking though? Why not alcohol as well? Or just ban any movie that isn't like snow white.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:28 am

It's the neo-Puritans at it again. They want to hide anything that smacks of an unhealthy lifestyle and thus ruin movies more than they already have been.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:57 pm

This crusade against smoking has gone way too far. I think kids these days are told enough how bad smoking is...they probably here it 100 times a day from when they're 5 to 20.
anyone seen the southpark episode where they talk about second hand smoke? i thought that was bang on.....and I don't even smoke

Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:07 pm

The episode with Rob Reiner? I agree, it made some good points.

I think movies need to have the freedom to represent different aspects of life, real or imagined. Real people smoke, you shouldn't pretend that they don't when you're making a movie. However, I think they should show it realistically (i.e. how bad the cancer sticks can wear one people), but that's only a suggestion.

As a compromise, I think any movie that depicts smoking should have in its pre-film ads an anti-smoking message. That's all you can reasonably do, I think.