canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:01 am

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=20623" target="_blank">Racial slur on sofa label stuns family</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/14-misc-cdn" target="_blank">Misc CDN</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=canucker" target="_blank">canucker</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-04-11 00:23:55
<strong>Canadian</strong>

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:01 am

Doh!! XD

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:12 am

She could have told her that it was a shade of colour. :|

What if she starts using it all the time? Oh please, who yells out the name of a colour at others? I bet she wouldn't say it. That way you could just wait until she's taught the actual meaning in like, school or something.

I wouldn't have said anything about it until she maybe grew up a little.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:01 am

Neither would I... But the guy who imports the stuff didn't notice? Sure... :roll:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 am

Brenda Brenda:
Neither would I... But the guy who imports the stuff didn't notice? Sure... :roll:
$10 says it was some slack-jawed retard who put it on there for some kind of kicks...

Or maybe the Chinese don't really like other races...

Wonder what the call their lighter coloured couches...

"Cracker-White"

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:19 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Brenda Brenda:
$10 says it was some slack-jawed retard who put it on there for some kind of kicks...

"Cracker-White"

Can the Chinese in China spell English? :twisted:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:04 am

Brenda Brenda:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:
Brenda Brenda:

"Cracker-White"

What?

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:05 am

Actually, I can sorta see this happening. When ma gran first visited Canada that what she called the colour too. Of course, that was around thirty years ago...

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:57 am

Given that the tags came out of China...

We've all seen the signs that get posted around on emails and forwards about how they can't translate into English very well.

It seems to me like this is just a case of ignorance at its highest. But yeah, the guy doing the importing should have noticed it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:25 am

Pish posh.

In Spanish the colour black is "negro". I cannot remember which language "niger" is the word for the colour black but it does exist. That some Chinese manufacturer messed up his English/French language translation for Canadian export is hardly either surprising nor unusual.

Just another example of how liberals are quick to tolerate and so called thick skinned minorities endure a battery of societal transgressions in silent strength :roll:

Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:29 am

I think 'niger' (black) comes from latin.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:37 am

It is spelled with 2 g's...

And then, my guess is, it is ordered in numbers. Which would mean, the Chinese make number 0011 (or so) in that colour brown, and 0012 is another colour brown. My guess is the import guy adds names to the colours...

Anyway, it should have been noticed...

Last edited by Brenda on Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:43 am

grainfedprairieboy grainfedprairieboy:
That some Chinese manufacturer messed up his English/French language translation for Canadian export is hardly either surprising nor unusual.
Especially considering the fact that racism in China is basically non-existant.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:56 am

Welcome to the wonderful, globalized world. They just don't have the same cultural values attached to words and symbols that we do. Sometimes it's gonna spill over. This is like those panda bear stuffed animals that come over every now and then with swastikas on them. Perfectly innocent buddhist symbols there. Here, not so much.

Get over it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:52 am

Brenda Brenda:

NO... they can not!

i can not even begin to describe the trouble i go through every time we get new product in from China. Something as simple as colour is not so simple when its in a different language. When i name collections or colours i am always very careful to not make it too complicated or offensive in anyway. Unfortunately Nigger-Brown was no accident no doubt about it. Someone thought they were being funny.

Every communication that i have with a Chinese supplier is ALWAYS accompanied with a picture and written words are always large and clearly typed in a font that does not confuse letters.

What a shame :?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 82 posts ]  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next