CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:20 pm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:16 am

You are freaking hilarious Dog! You post that TED talk about how to not fall into the traps that Media lays for people that preys on their own biases pretending to be 'science-y', and then post textbook drivel from one of the most unabashed paid mouthpieces for the Climate Denial industry. [B-o]

That is why you always fail. Good luck with that!

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v5 ... 8341a.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:26 am

We're doomed. Yep, I got the memo.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:53 am

By the way, I have a question for the AGW camp: You folks keep telling us it's too warm. So too warm as opposed to what?

That's right, since it's your assertion that current temperatures are wrong then what's the temperature at any one place on the globe supposed to be?

Now tell me why it's supposed to be that temperature and why it's not supposed to deviate from that mark?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:24 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
By the way, I have a question for the AGW camp: You folks keep telling us it's too warm. So too warm as opposed to what?

That's right, since it's your assertion that current temperatures are wrong then what's the temperature at any one place on the globe supposed to be?

Now tell me why it's supposed to be that temperature and why it's not supposed to deviate from that mark?

https://www.skepticalscience.com/global ... atives.htm

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:25 pm

One of the big ones there is 'Ocean Acidification'. Once the little things in the ocean that are food for everything else dies, then the whole system collapses. Many people on Earth depend on the oceans to feed us.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:31 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Being a supporter of the 'movement', what have you done in your personal life to reduce your carbon footprint?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:39 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I have a better question for you in the denial camp: why? Why deny? What is it about climate change science that's particularly disturbing to you to the point that you can't just admit that it's happening? What is it about this particular field of scientific research that has you all so up in a twist over it? Is it because Al Gore is a filthy Democrat and he made a movie about it so it must be communist bullshit? Is that it? Because there's no logical reason for any of you to deny what is not only consensus among academics, but obvious to any lay person with half a brain in their head.

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:53 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I asked a couple of straightforward questions and you responded with boilerplate that doesn't even remotely answer my questions.

Let me restate:

1. Pick any place on the planet and tell me what the ideal average temperature is for that place.

2. Now tell me why that temperature is not supposed to change.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:53 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
I have a better question for you...

I asked first.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:54 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Being a supporter of the 'movement', what have you done in your personal life to reduce your carbon footprint?

Plenty. I take the bus most of the way to work. I've reduced how much meat I eat. I re-insulated my house, and bought a more efficient furnace. I'll be getting a smaller car to drive to the bus station in the near future.

Edit: and an on-demand water heater.

Last edited by DrCaleb on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:00 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I'll be getting a smaller car to drive to the bus station in the near future.

If it's all the same I'm kind of fond of you and would prefer if you got something a little more robust and perhaps not quite so fuel-conscious. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:01 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Lemmy Lemmy:
I have a better question for you...

I asked first.

Okay, the answer to your question is there is no answer to it. There is no "ideal" temperature anywhere. It's the cumulative long-term trend that's the problem and the issues it will create (melting ice-caps, acidification of seas, etc..).

'Kay? So you gonna answer my question now?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

I asked a couple of straightforward questions and you responded with boilerplate that doesn't even remotely answer my questions.

Let me restate:

1. Pick any place on the planet and tell me what the ideal average temperature is for that place.

2. Now tell me why that temperature is not supposed to change.

What is the political preference of a Rhesus Monkey?

It's not that you asked a question, it's that the question makes no sense. Any spot on Earth will experience variations in temperature day to night, day to day, and between seasons. That's perfectly normal. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' for it.

It's the average temperature of the planet, and how quickly it is changing that is the problem. Natural systems cannot adapt that quickly. Any single spot on Earth may experience natural variations, but for some spots (like the poles) warming will be a problem. And that is what the link I provided explains.

To quote that link: "Here’s a list of cause and effect relationships, showing that most climate change impacts will confer few or no benefits, but may do great harm at considerable cost."