Date: 2016-07-12 17:29:14
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:48 pm

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigratio ... mbled.html

"Afghan native Obaidullah Siddiqui learned that the hard way when the former refugee was stripped of his right to stay in Canada because he made the mistake of going back - three times - to his homeland.

After living in exile in Pakistan for two decades, Siddiqui and his family were resettled to Canada as permanent residents by a private sponsorship group in January 2011.

But as his marriage started to crumble amid the chaos of the resettlement, the 49-year-old Surrey, B.C. man said he took three separate trips back home - two accompanied by his children

In November 2013, immigration officials initiated what is known as a
"cessation application" and later stripped Siddiqui's permanent resident status on the grounds "he was found to have re-availed himself of Afghanistan's protection" and his life would no longer be in danger there.

As a result, Siddiqui became the first case where a sponsored refugee arriving as a permanent resident was stripped of his status, and faced removal under changes the Tories introduced in 2012 to immigration laws to make losing permanent residence automatic in such circumstances, with no discretion.

The number of cessation applications by immigration has skyrocketed from 30 in 2012 to 256 in 2015. Although officials targeted former refugees who were granted asylum in Canada, resettled refugees such as Syrians who recently arrived are not immune.

With the new Liberal government in power in Ottawa, the opposition New Democrats have brought forward a private member's bill to repeal cessation provisions of the law and suspend these cases until the legislation is passed."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:54 pm

This reminds Canada's best blogger of the Tamils.

"The facts are in. We're being played for patsies.

A secret government report, its contents outlined today by QMI Agency's Brian Lilley, shows just how seriously we have been duped by Tamils already granted refugee status here - with a sample survey conducted by immigration bureaucrats showing some 71% of these claimants have already returned to Sri Lanka, despite their song-and-dance that they would be murdered and/or tortured the moment they set foot in their homeland.

And what happened to them?

Nothing.

They visited relatives, perhaps had a nice vacation, and then came back to Canada, now home of the second-largest Tamil population in the world, where their every need is paid for by an already cash-strapped Canadian taxpayer.

It is quite the ruse."

http://www.torontosun.com/comment/edito ... 98871.html

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:11 pm

I agree with the decision. Using the refugee system to fast track your entrance to Canada when your life is not in danger is fraudulent and takes away our ability to help people who are actually in need. If this is the premise that the application was revoked over than I think it is a good call.

If it is just a case that a person fled a country that was at war and resettled here then returned home after the war, then I think it is wrong.

You can't let people come here, grant permanent status and then send them home just because the war is over.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:26 pm

How can a refugee be stripped of his 'right' to stay in our country? It's a privilege. Mind you we could keep him and get rid of Schlocked squirrel shit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:30 pm

Refugees have always been subject to losing their status if they return, that's not new. What's new is that before there was a hearing and a chance to explain yourself. Harper made it automatic, which I think is unfair. People accused of wrongdoing should always get a chance to explain and defend themselves, things aren't always so cut and dry. Funny thing is, if he had murdered someone he would have been entitled to a fair trial.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 pm

That's true, the only way to entrench your right to be here is to obtain citizenship. There is a process for doing that and I believe if you are here doing what you should be doing, it shouldn't be that difficult.
I also believe it should envolve revoking your foreign citizenship. I am strongly against this dual citizenship crap. If a refugee has been here for a number of years as a permanent resident and has not even applied for citizenship, then decides to go home, they roll the dice and I think they should be open to reassessment based on current circumstances.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Delwin Delwin:
That's true, the only way to entrench your right to be here is to obtain citizenship. There is a process for doing that and I believe if you are here doing what you should be doing, it shouldn't be that difficult.
I also believe it should envolve revoking your foreign citizenship. I am strongly against this dual citizenship crap. If a refugee has been here for a number of years as a permanent resident and has not even applied for citizenship, then decides to go home, they roll the dice and I think they should be open to reassessment based on current circumstances.

It's not that difficult (I assume the citizenship test is not that difficult) but it is rather expensive.

Also, Canada does not get to say whether people lose their foreign citizenship. Their home country does.