Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:13 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Roll your eyes all you want, but you can't ignore the truth.

I can definitely ignore your 'truth', and the inaccurate/warped version of history that you are trying to present.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
https://globalnews.ca/news/5381480/rcmp-indigenous-relationship/

This 'article' is more opinion than fact, and so biased it hurts. I can't anything written in that way seriously whatsoever.

Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan of police in general, and haven't been in years. That being said, the RCMP get a bad rap for the plethora of things they encompass and have to deal with on a daily basis. I can't pass judgement on them at all.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:26 pm

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
This 'article' is more opinion than fact, and so biased it hurts. I can't anything written in that way seriously whatsoever.

And yet, it's published by a right wing news organization, by a staff reporter. It's not opinion, it's 100% grass fed organic Canadian facts. It's the dirty history you are uncomfortable realizing. And it is far from the only report on exactly that subject. Search, you'll find many, many more.

That's why you keep failing, you can't tell the difference between opinion and fact. I presented no version of history, I presented facts you were simply unaware of, and your cognitive bias won't allow you to believe it. So, you think I'm making it up, despite having bodies of children buried in school grounds and not a single police report among them.

Who's biased here, the group who say "they always get their man" or the radar techs with evidence of buried bones? Look at the TRC, who saw hundreds of police responses of 'they just ran away' and 'they'll be back soon' just because the missing woman or girl was First Nations. The RCMP are not the good guys here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Do we disband the RCMP and replace it with a new National Force?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 pm

I'd suggest provincial or regional police forces. That way the command and guiding principles can be staffed and derived from a local basis, instead of some centralized authority that's bogged down in federal bureaucracy and obsolete methods. I have no reason to believe this would ever happen though. There's too many goofs, from the conservative "we can't afford it!" austerity types through to the hard left-wing "ACAB, abolish the police forces" clowns who've popped up in huge numbers over the last year.

So, once again, nothing will change no matter how much it desperately needs to. Just like the RCMP Musical Ride, stagnation is a proud Canadian tradition. :|

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:14 pm

I'm inclined to look to regional authorities the problem is this is a BIG country and we need a federal force to cover off where there is no sustaining tax base. If we didn't have the RCMP we would need to invent it as there is an operational need.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:21 pm

llama66 llama66:

And why would we disband the RCMP and make a Federal force exactly like it?
We need a national police force, we've got one.

We could simply remove the "Royal" from it's name to disassociate the colonial implications.

Surrey BC is setting up it's own police to replace the RCMP for some odd reason. There's certainly nothing to gain financially, nothing to gain legally, and definitely gonna make it harder to police the Lower Mainland gangs that don't give a flying fuck about regional borders.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 pm

herbie herbie:
We could simply remove the "Royal" from it's name to disassociate the colonial implications.

Canada is a Monarchy. Renaming the RCMP is just plain stupid. Cancel culture has already gone too far, and it's time we all took a stand.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:31 am

That's going to come back on them. I can see a subpoena in their future.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:17 am

llama66 llama66:

No, change the laws, put policing more in local hands to respond to community concerns. Fro the First Nations, the RCMP resembled the Gestapo more than a police force for much of their history--showing up in villages and doing door to door searches for kids to take away, for example.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:57 am

$1:
simply remove the "Royal" from it's name to disassociate the colonial implications.

WTF do you think is behind the root of current issues? Something other than our colonial past and remnants of those attitudes?
We're not a nation of WASPs that grovel before a Monarch. The Monarchy's merely a symbol, a face on a stamp or a coin. a symbol of outdated ideals.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:06 am

Thanos Thanos:
I'd suggest provincial or regional police forces. That way the command and guiding principles can be staffed and derived from a local basis, instead of some centralized authority that's bogged down in federal bureaucracy and obsolete methods. I have no reason to believe this would ever happen though. There's too many goofs, from the conservative "we can't afford it!" austerity types through to the hard left-wing "ACAB, abolish the police forces" clowns who've popped up in huge numbers over the last year.

So, once again, nothing will change no matter how much it desperately needs to. Just like the RCMP Musical Ride, stagnation is a proud Canadian tradition. :|

I obviously haven't asked any First Nations in Ontario or Quebec about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if they thought this wouldn't change anything at all. The Ontario Provincial Police was heavily involved at the 1995 Ipperwash standoff, while the Surete du Quebec (Quebec provincial police) was similarly involved in the 1990 Oka standoff. I'm not sure provincial forces are necessarily any better than a federal one from a Native point of view.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:35 pm

So I was on a big conference call for work for the entire security division. They talked about this and a guy who lives near the school was talking about the response. He said someone put 215 crosses on the highway.

I wonder if that person realises that the church likely killed these kids... And that it might actually be insanely offensive.

And that shows how little Canadians are aware of what the residential school system was when they think throwing down crosses for the kids is an acceptable thing to do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:11 pm

I don't exactly know what you're trying to say Tricks.
As you drive into town here, you'll see 215 crosses alongside the highway as it goes through the rez right by the Catholic Church. You'll see children's toys hung from the fence at the beach in town.

And I don't know who 'didn't know' about the residential school system. Those too young or fresh off the boat? More like the kind of Germans that 'didn't know' about the Holocaust.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm saying using a catholic symbol for the deaths of these children when the catholic system is what killed them is a weird choice.

And using that symbol to me shows that either they don't know who perpetrated these crimes, or they just don't care and their own beliefs is more important. You know, like the reason the residential schools happened.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 10  11  12  13  14  Next