bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 pm

raydan raydan:
Don't shop at Walmart or at Dollar Stores... that eliminates 90% of the Chinese crap you buy. :wink:

The only way to stop buying Chinese crap is to stop shopping.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:22 pm

raydan raydan:
Don't shop at Walmart or at Dollar Stores... that eliminates 90% of the Chinese crap you buy. :wink:

I don't buy at Walmart often, only when I need cheap socks and t-shirts. Dollarama however, is where I buy chocolate, some grocery items that I can get a little cheaper than No Frills, and the odd cleaning supply (again, cheaper than No Frills) item.

Problem is, almost nothing is made domestically anymore, and when it is, the price is too freaking high.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Actually I've shopped at The Dollar Store and looked at alot of stuff they sell to see where it's made. For the most part the food products are American produced and the same goes for their cleaning supplies. So, despite selling cheap Chinese crap they're also selling cheap American and in some cases Canadian crap, most of it produced in Ontario and the Eastern US.

Next time you guys go to the dollar store for a laugh look at the country of origin for your purchases because I bet you'll be surprised. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm

Next time!!! I don't think I've ever been to one. :lol:

I ate all Canadian for dinner... except for the avocado... I don't think they grow them here. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:17 am

raydan raydan:
I ate all Canadian for dinner... except for the avocado... I don't think they grow them here. :wink:

^^

You can buy good local product, if you look. But it won't be 'cheap'. Which is the point. Quality isn't cheap.

There is a honey plant near where I live. Know how hard it is to buy honey in the store that came from that plant? Why do they have to make it so tough?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:43 am

https://www.legrandmarchedequebec.com/en/

Just opened on the 14th... fruits and vegetables (it's strawberry time), honey, wines and spirits, maple sugar products, cheeses, meat and fish, and more... all local.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:53 am

We have similar markets. Most are staffed by the farmers that grow the product. The Holden Colony Hutterites have the best Russuan Red garlic you've ever had! It should be arriving soon, and the skin is usually still moist. [drool]

I remember a really good market at Atwater in Montreal too. :rock:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
raydan raydan:

^^

You can buy good local product, if you look. But it won't be 'cheap'. Which is the point. Quality isn't cheap.

There is a honey plant near where I live. Know how hard it is to buy honey in the store that came from that plant? Why do they have to make it so tough?

Beary Beary Honey is from Tofield and you can buy it in many grocery stores in the Edmonton area - their flavoured honeys are incredible:

https://bearyberryhoney.com/

And you can grow your own Russian Red garlic..I do. Plant in the October and enjoy in August.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:23 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
raydan raydan:

^^

Beary Beary Honey is from Tofield and you can buy it in many grocery stores in the Edmonton area - their flavoured honeys are incredible:

https://bearyberryhoney.com/

And you can grow your own Russian Red garlic..I do. Plant in the October and enjoy in August.

I've had them. [drool] But "Bee Maid" is owned by many honey farmers throughout Alberta, yet a lot of the honey you find in stores is 'blended' with honey from South America, or even China!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70+Al ... 3699?hl=en

have to try growing my own garlic though. (but the Hutterite stuff is sooo good!)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:02 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
...have to try growing my own garlic though. (but the Hutterite stuff is sooo good!)

Buy Hutterite garlic, separate cloves and plant.

I had red garlic growing in my garden... you're right, it IS good.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:01 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
yet a lot of the honey you find in stores is 'blended' with honey from ...China!

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/08/ ... aundering/

$1:
A third or more of all the honey consumed in the U.S. is likely to have been smuggled in from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals.

Myself, I prefer Chinese honey that's made from melamine flowers! [drool]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:13 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
yet a lot of the honey you find in stores is 'blended' with honey from ...China!

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/08/ ... aundering/

$1:
A third or more of all the honey consumed in the U.S. is likely to have been smuggled in from China and may be tainted with illegal antibiotics and heavy metals.

Myself, I prefer Chinese honey that's made from melamine flowers! [drool]

Isn't that the stuff grown in Xi Jinping's backyard by his Gardener Ren Zhengfei, and distributed to the western world by that angel of peace Meng Wanzhou?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:27 pm

That's it!! I see you like it, too!!! [B-o]