canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:53 am

The UN has no teeth, and the world has no desire to assist the people of Hong Kong. We're I someone living in Hong Kong right now, I'd be packing my shit and looking for a place to flee to.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:17 am

llama66 wrote:
The UN has no teeth, and the world has no desire to assist the people of Hong Kong. We're I someone living in Hong Kong right now, I'd be packing my shit and looking for a place to flee to.

Airport's closed bro. Too late. :lol:

A lot of the Vancouver money that came in the 90's was HK money, obviously
some had seen the writing on the wall, a long time ago.
Interestingly, I read somewhere that some of that investors back then
were already complaining about the bad business investment climate in Canada
at that time, and were thinking of moving back.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 am

llama66 wrote:
The UN has no teeth, and the world has no desire to assist the people of Hong Kong.

How about a desire to give China a black eye?

The enemy of my enemy and all that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 am

Martin15 wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:
And what's worse is that all the Chinese gov't had to do was take the extradition bill off the table....................for now.

The Chinese gov't already did this...for now.
So now it seems another group is agitating something something.

It won't matter, have to chuckle at the ones suggesting that NATO
gets involved (didn't know HK was a NATO member),or suggesting the HKers
could win a fight back.

When HK was given back in 1997, HK was about 25% of the total Chinese economy.
So they kept some freedoms, because it was good business.
Now it is 2, maybe 3%|.

They will find out the hard way... no one is coming.

They didn't really take it off the table though. It's all been semantics which means the second they think they can get the bill passed without protests and riots it's a done deal.

But here's a valid assessment of the real reasons for the unrest in Hong Kong and there's alot more than just the extradition bill to take into account.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/11/c ... -consider/

No one is coming, but by the same token no one is condemning the actions of the Hong Kong or Chinese Gov't either which is even more disconcerting. But, they have a built in excuse. "We didn't know". China, not Hong Kong is waging a disinformation war that should be obvious to anyone who understands Communist gov'ts because they've been doing it since 1917. So, the free worlds politicians seem to be quite content with plausible denial,
probably because to do otherwise would be bad for business.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/worl ... china.html

Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 am

llama66 wrote:

What people forget is that there's probably a couple of million former mainland Chinese that have fled to Hong Kong since 1945 and the Chinese Gov't would love to get their hands on some of them, especially the ones with Taiwanese ties.

So these people will be fleeing again in the very near future because Hong Kong isn't going to remain independent much longer with the way things are going. We're already seeing an increase in the dual citizen Hong Kong Chinese coming back to Canada and it's only going to get more intense as Xi's gang removes more and more freedoms.

But on the plus side, given the Hong Kong peoples hate for the mainland Chinese it's going to get interesting when the two groups start to interact in Canada.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:42 am

Heard on the news this morning that the Airport is open and flights are back to normal.

I don't know what they are protesting over. Like someone posted earlier that extradition law has been changed for now. It's been 20years so 30 years from now they can put it back in and the world can't say shit. Though China will push things they seem to have also a long game strategy in play.

What next protest will happen where has my curiosity. Thus my checking in on Hong Kong ever few days to see what is going on and why I finally posted about it here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:43 am

Freakinoldguy wrote:
llama66 wrote:

What people forget is that there's probably a couple of million former mainland Chinese that have fled to Hong Kong since 1945 and the Chinese Gov't would love to get their hands on some of them, especially the ones with Taiwanese ties.

So these people will be fleeing again in the very near future because Hong Kong isn't going to remain independent much longer with the way things are going. We're already seeing an increase in the dual citizen Hong Kong Chinese coming back to Canada and it's only going to get more intense as Xi's gang removes more and more freedoms.

But on the plus side, given the Hong Kong peoples hate for the mainland Chinese it's going to get interesting when the two groups start to interact in Canada.

I would suspect many left in 97 before the turnover happened.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:35 am

Robair wrote:
llama66 wrote:
The UN has no teeth, and the world has no desire to assist the people of Hong Kong.

How about a desire to give China a black eye?

The enemy of my enemy and all that.

I'd like that. But the rest of the Neutered planet has no appetite.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 am

Okay thing is Hong Kong is part of China outside of sanctions or total war what can the UN do?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:44 am

Sanctions and Total War

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 am

stratos wrote:
Okay thing is Hong Kong is part of China outside of sanctions or total war what can the UN do?

The UN can't do squat especially with China on the Security Council so, anyone who thinks they can or would want to is grasping at straws.

Besides, given their track record of fucking pretty much everything they touch up lately, would anyone want them intervening? Their high water mark in conflict resolution was 1951 in Korea but since then they've been on a downward spiral when it comes into getting combatants to cease fighting and have in some instances become a bigger blight on warring nations than the wars they've tried to intervene in.

As for NATO getting involved, well they certainly have the fire power to but, like Martin said, it's not within their mandate so, unless they make Hong Kong a signatory, that's pretty much a non starter.

Sorry but Hong Kong is on their own and have been since Britain ceded it back to the communists.

Here's some musings I have about the turn over of Hong Kong though. I have questions about the legitimacy of the British handing over of Hong Kong to the "Communist Chinese" gov't. And the reason for that is, because both Taiwan and Beijing have a legitimate claim to the former colony since it was ceded by a gov't which is no longer in existence and both successors still claim to be the rightful heir to that regime.

Taiwan actually has a more direct line of ascendancy to the Manchu gov't than the communists since they were the first sustained and legitimate gov't formed after Pu Yi had been deposed as the Last Emperor.

So, IMO just because the US caved to the lure of a new market with over a billion people for their goods and services and then dragged every other western nation along with them by recognizing mainland China, it still doesn't mean that the Communists are the legitimate heirs to Hong Kong and had the British used that line of thought they may have been able to either prevent the return or at least have negotiated a better deal.

Now, with all the underhanded and illegal things the Chinese Communist gov't has been doing on the world stage since they've gained the upper hand with the west in trade, we're getting to see just what dealing with a duplicitous communist dictatorship gets people who think that they've changed and are willing to become responsible members of the world community. ROTFL

They're communists for fucks sake so, should we really expect any better out of them? :roll:

Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:09 am

Freakinoldguy wrote:
stratos wrote:

The UN can't do squat especially with China on the Security Council so, anyone who thinks they can or would want to is grasping at straws.

Besides, given their track record of fucking pretty everything they touch up, would anyone want them intervening? Their high water mark in conflict resolution was 1951 in Korea but since then they've been on a downward spiral when it comes into getting combatants to cease fighting and have in some instances become a bigger blight than the wars they've tried to intervene in.

As for NATO getting involved, well they certainly have the fire power too but, it's not within their mandate and unless they make Hong Kong a signatory, that's pretty much a non starter.

Sorry but Hong Kong is on their own and have been since Britain ceded it back to the communists.

That's how I see it also. Now, If I may throw in a possible twist. H.K. people form some sort of side/unofficial Gov. that asks for protection from China by England or the USA or better yet NATO. Does said country or group have a right to intervene then?

These are thoughts I've had over the past month of protests playing the What IF game, coming up with differing scenarios.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:37 am

stratos wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:
stratos wrote:

Besides, given their track record of fucking pretty everything they touch up, would anyone want them intervening? Their high water mark in conflict resolution was 1951 in Korea but since then they've been on a downward spiral when it comes into getting combatants to cease fighting and have in some instances become a bigger blight than the wars they've tried to intervene in.

As for NATO getting involved, well they certainly have the fire power too but, it's not within their mandate and unless they make Hong Kong a signatory, that's pretty much a non starter.

That's how I see it also. Now, If I may throw in a possible twist. H.K. people form some sort of side/unofficial Gov. that asks for protection from China by England or the USA or better yet NATO. Does said country or group have a right to intervene then?

These are thoughts I've had over the past month of protests playing the What IF game, coming up with differing scenarios.

Nope because at that point they'd be interfering in a civil war and you won't find many countries or organizations willing to take that burden on.

Best case scenario is the Chinese gov't sees world condemnation as a bad thing and decides to let Hong Kong continue as is. Unfortunately they're using the Hong Kong gov't as a scape goat to their actions and up to this point the west has been willing to go along with the charade. So, until that changes through direct intervention by the communists I don't see anything changing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Just an update article.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hong ... me=topNews

I was wrong on one point the protests have been going for over 2 months I was thinking over 1 month.