canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 8:48 am

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/04/putin-ally-yevgeny-prigozhin-wagner-group-dying-west-russians-third-world-scum

Wagner-linked Putin ally: ‘Dying west thinks Russians are third world scum’
Yevgeny Prigozhin accused of financing Wagner mercenary group responds to accusations of massacres in Mali.

This is worth noting. Prigozhin here lays bare the animus of Russia's aims and Russia's wars, much more so than Putin.

It's an uncomfortable truth that the majority of the world's population (Russia, China, India, most of Africa) are sympathetic to Russia. Many of these country's are socially conservative, and view the US as being in the late stages of Roman hedonism. As well, the violence and plundering by western imperialism and colonialism, while preaching freedom and free markets, is etched in the minds and histories of many in these nations.

Clearly I don't support Russia. It hasn't been easier to pick the bad guy in a war since the US 2003 Iraq debacle. But you should know and understand your enemy.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:04 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Many of these country's are socially conservative, and view the US as being in the late stages of Roman hedonism. As well, the violence and plundering by western imperialism and colonialism, while preaching freedom and free markets, is etched in the minds and histories of many in these nations.

I suppose it's ironic then that they are ignoring Russias' stab at imperialism, violence, and colonialism.

We must be in late stage hedonism, because I haven't accidentally run across a good orgy in years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:09 am

rickc rickc:
xerxes xerxes:
Impressive how much aid Poland has given. And as its been mentioned before, shocking how little Germany has done.

You mention how shocking little Germany has done, yet when I looked at the graph, Germany was slightly ahead of Canada. So why are we NOT talking about what a pathetic response Canada has had to the situation?

You aren't wrong, and most of here have lamented Canada's low defence spending for years on CKA. Not because American politicians think we should, but because we know that Canada should step up and contribute to global stability and order like we did 50 years ago.

The problem is that most Canadian voters simply don't care about the armed forces, mostly because Canada doesn't have any major direct threat(s) to it, the armed forces don't personally affect them, or don't they know anyone in the service. Right wing voters here care more about small government and tax cuts, while left wing voters want more spending on social programs.

And because of that anemic funding for close to 40 years, we simply do not have the stocks of weapons necessary to send to the Ukraine, and everyone is getting in line to buy more, so we're waiting.

Canada originally bought just SIX M-777 howitzers (a few years into the Afghanistan deployment), then wound up buying another 31 after seeing how effective they were. Australia meanwhile, bought 57 of them - and when it came time to send some to Ukraine, we sent 4 and Australia sent 6 (the US sent 80 or 90). Four howitzers isn't even a full battery in the Canadian Army, so it's a bit of a joke what we sent. We also sent 100 old Carl Gustav AT launchers with 2000 rounds to serve them. Not bad, but had we had adequate stocks, we could have sent even more, or better yet, something more modern like the NLAW or Javelin. Canada couldn't even send handheld SAMs like the Stinger because Canada does own ANY! How the fuck does a supposedly modern army not have any air defence assets? Like WTF?!?

Canada has promised an additional $500 million in military aid for Ukraine (as well as about $120 million previously), but the problem with this is that we'll have to wait in line with everyone else to buy equipment to send to Ukraine because we don't have adequate stocks on hand ourselves.

I'd like to think the invasion was a wake-up call to the Liberal government, but it's paltry $8 billion in new defence spending over 5 years is fucking joke. As long as the Liberals have to rely on the anti-military NDP, it won't change.

The gist here is that most of us are even more frustrated than you by Canada's poor response to this crisis.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:01 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Many of these country's are socially conservative, and view the US as being in the late stages of Roman hedonism. As well, the violence and plundering by western imperialism and colonialism, while preaching freedom and free markets, is etched in the minds and histories of many in these nations.

I suppose it's ironic then that they are ignoring Russias' stab at imperialism, violence, and colonialism.

We must be in late stage hedonism, because I haven't accidentally run across a good orgy in years.

Yeah, I'm certainly not saying I agree with it, but the objective fact is that the idea of a "global" unified response to Russia's aggression is, by and large, a myth.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 11:41 am

xerxes xerxes:
rickc rickc:

:oops: Sorry, its hard to keep up when I go to bed and get up in the same day sometimes numerous times in the same day. I literally do not know what day I am in most of the time. Its getting harder to keep up these days. My apologies. I will try harder I promise.

No worries mate. Honestly, I expected less from Canada in terms of military assistance because the CAF have been underfunded for far too long. Germany, on the other hand, is closer to Russia and should have a more modern arsenal. But as we've seen, they've also let the Bundeswehr fall by the wayside. And also, too many of their leaders are cowards. Merkel wouldn't have buckled to Putin's threats like Scholz has.

It may be hard to believe, but the Bundeswehr is in even worse shape than the CAF, at least according to this report from 2018.

However, unlike Canada, they announced a 100 billion Euro package to get the Bundeswehr into shape, with promises of reaching the 2% of GDP down the road.

Meanwhile, the NDP, who are backstopping the Liberals, call 2% of GDP 'arbitrary'. The recent budget added a paltry $8 over 5 years, instead of $8 billion THIS year as is needed. We don't need to spend $50 billion a year like larger nations with far flung interests, but we should definitely be capable of $35 - $40 billion per year.

One more reason I will NEVER vote for the NDP federally.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isg2gWe ... WL&index=4

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:40 pm

Canada is sending gps m777 rounds

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:08 pm

EU proposes Russian oil ban to make Putin 'pay high price' for Ukraine

$1:
A handful of eastern EU countries are concerned that the halt would not allow them enough time to adapt, even though diplomats said Hungary and Slovakia would be given until the end of 2023.

Hungarian Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said on Facebook that, even with the lag, Hungary could only agree to the measures if crude oil imports from Russia via pipeline were exempt from the sanctions.

Contact lost with Azovstal fighters - Mariupol mayor

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:43 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmM3lMS ... WL&index=1

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:02 pm

Scape Scape:

8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6413 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 165  166  167  168  169  170  171 ... 428  Next