canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am

Title: Scotties participants happy to see prize money equity that was long overdue in women�s curling
Category: Sports
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2020-02-16 12:13:26
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:20 am

not sure about the numbers for curling, but the reason most prize money is not the same is because women's events in general are not as well attended. Outside of maybe Tennis even women's soccer is not nearly as popular as mens Hence the prize differential.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 am

I'm just thankful for the birds eye view camera angle when the ladies are sweeping. :D

[drool]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 am

Watching women curl and having a coffee.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:45 am

uwish uwish:
not sure about the numbers for curling, but the reason most prize money is not the same is because women's events in general are not as well attended. Outside of maybe Tennis even women's soccer is not nearly as popular as mens Hence the prize differential.

I think curling is different.

Myself, I only watch women's curling. Men's curling doesn't interest me.

There can be mixed doubles in curling and mixed teams. It's not like say Hockey where you can notice an immediate qualitative difference between men and women. Well maybe you kind of can but it's not so much the good from the best as just what's different.

I find the women are more finesse and strategy. Men's curling is all smash and bash to me.

I get a kick out of when the women take their mid-game break and they sit there with a thermos of tea and cookies gossiping. I imagine the men slip off for a beer.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:26 am

i agree not saying women are not as fun to watch, but it is the reality of sports. Most people only really watch the men's version of x sport, and hence generate significantly greater revenues in general. Hence much larger salaries, prizes etc.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:48 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
There can be mixed doubles in curling and mixed teams. It's not like say Hockey where you can notice an immediate qualitative difference between men and women. Well maybe you kind of can but it's not so much the good from the best as just what's different.

The Scotties champs have never been able to beat the Brier champs in that fun match they do. Whatever it's called.

Men's curling is better. They have more shots available due to the ability to throw the rock harder. They can get a sharper angle for a double takeout for example.

I don't generally watch men's curling though.

I watch for that top view of the ladies butts bouncing when they sweep. My Mrs either hasn't caught on yet, or she doesn't care...