Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2018-04-02 12:12:59
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:31 pm

I imagine it's a given that Bo Horvat takes over as captain.

The money available under the salary cap now is interesting.

It's unlikely these 2 would come to Van but imagine John Tavares at center and Evander Kane at wing to replace them.

Not going to get them, of course, but what about these other free agents:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2 ... -2018.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

I just watched the press conference on the noon news. I expected that they would retire at the end of this season so I'm not shocked at all. Funny how the media was referring to it as "breaking news" "OMG" :lol:

It's been an incredible time they've had here and it will be weird at first next season to not hear their names but in leaving they have freed up 2 spots for the promising youth the Canucks have waiting in the wings.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

It would be nice to get somebody in the same class as Tavares but not Kane, and this is simply because of his history, along with his piss poor attitude! In my opinion it's pretty much the same thing with Brad Marchand, who is finally showing his great playing ability, but I wouldn't want him on the team....his abilities yes, his personality and constant taking of cheap shots....never!!

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
I imagine it's a given that Bo Horvat takes over as captain.

The money available under the salary cap now is interesting.

It's unlikely these 2 would come to Van but imagine John Tavares at center and Evander Kane at wing to replace them.

Not going to get them, of course, but what about these other free agents:

Evander Kane is cancer in the room. He's not a good teammate. The Canucks need some guys to build around and Kane isn't that type. JT is definitely that type of guy!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Here's another idea.

Suppose you didn't want to spend the extra cash on the best free agents out there but instead wanted to stress the rebuild and get more picks.

Vancouver has a couple players they could get picks for but then they might want to replace those players.

Trade Tanev and Baertschi for picks at the draft. Scoop a good, reliable defenseman and a competent winger later from the free agent pool.

So why wouldn't the team you trade with just wait?

Cash. Tanev and Baertschi are economic for what they bring. Free agents want top dollar. Some teams don't have the slack in the cap that Vancouver does now. Also, there's no guarantee they'd get the guy they want. If they trade and they know what they're getting.

Just spitballing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:38 pm

For example, the top two names on that free agents available article that was posted in December were John Carlson and James Neal.

How about somebody like those two, plus you get some picks - possibly even a mid or late #1.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:32 pm

Sedins are good guys. They will be missed. Although from the perspective of an enemy fan it was as much fun for us to mercilessly heckle "the Sisters" as it was for Canucknuckle fans to cheer for them. :twisted: