Title: Short songs at AMP Calgary radio station draw polarized feelings
Category: Showbiz
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2014-08-08 07:26:20
Canadian

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:57 am

That's just fucking retarded. Why would someone with more than half a functioning brain want to hear part of a song unless they didn't like it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:17 am

No doubt - if it's a good song, I want to hear the extended/live/acoustic version too.

Radio edit versions of songs usually suck donkey balls...

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:19 am

Give them SHIT Jann!! PDT_Armataz_01_37 PDT_Armataz_01_35

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:21 am

Most new music is just repetition anyway, so no loss. Just goes to show the attention span of the pod people when a regular am format song is too long for them. Shows how music has gone to shit. Poor mp3 sound quality, death of the album, death of rock. Glad I grew up when I did and music was good, FM came in and played extended tracks, albums were meant to be listened to as an entirety (some, anyway) and people didn't get bored with a song after 2 minutes.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am

Great, now instead of listening to the same overplayed songs recycled every hour, people get to hear the same overplayed songs recycled every 30 mins. I guess that's progress.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 am

I was happy when Metallica's Death Magnetic had an average song length of 7min.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 am

andyt andyt:
Most new music is just repetition anyway, so no loss. Just goes to show the attention span of the pod people when a regular am format song is too long for them. Shows how music has gone to shit. Poor mp3 sound quality, death of the album, death of rock. Glad I grew up when I did and music was good, FM came in and played extended tracks, albums were meant to be listened to as an entirety (some, anyway) and people didn't get bored with a song after 2 minutes.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:07 am

If I want to just hear snippets, I'll just goto the iTunes store and sample songs. If I still listened to OTA Radio, I'd soon quit if they did this crap.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:42 pm

maybe the songs are so god damn boring they have to cut them in half to keep people's attention.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Anyone under the age of fifty suffers from a Sesame Street attention span and can't follow songs that are much longer than a couple of minutes, anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:11 pm

I guess that Tubular Bells and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida are out of the question. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:14 pm

...and that 20 minute long John Bonham drum solo ...

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
Anyone under the age of fifty suffers from a Sesame Street attention span and can't follow songs that are much longer than a couple of minutes, anyway.

I find this rather offensive. A lot of folks in my particular age group love older music. There is a lot of care and consideration that goes into writing a song that is more than 5 minutes long and it shows in the music. There is a story to tell you can't just fit into something that's 200 seconds long.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

I find this rather offensive. A lot of folks in my particular age group love older music. There is a lot of care and consideration that goes into writing a song that is more than 5 minutes long and it shows in the music. There is a story to tell you can't just fit into something that's 200 seconds long.

Doesn't even have to be older music. I'm way under 50 and this 7 year-old (holy shit didn't realize it was that old already) song is one of my all time favorites.