Category: Tech
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2009-09-25 19:10:30
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:42 am

It probably part of the sound of the blades that attracts the bats.

Is there a sound that can be made that repells bats. If there is perhaps bats can be repelled away from the wind farm entirely.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:26 am

The low air pressure killing bats thing is also explained in more depth here.

Curiously enough, they say, “A large portion of the kills occur at the lowest wind speeds,” which maybe conflicts with the assertion of the article above.

They also say scientists don't know what attracts the bats, but scientists are spending millions to try to find out.

I don't know if this is connected but, wind farms create radar blackout zones. They're creating problems for national security in Britain.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 355764.ece

It isn't just bats either.

And it isn't just a few of animals. Wind farms decimate bird, and bat populations.

Some other problems with wind energy

*BANANA - build-nothing-anywhere-near-anyone. That leads to this...

$1:
Although people tend not to live in windy areas, BANANA can complicate another necessity for wind farms (as it can for most sources of electricity): transmission. Given the gigantic distances in America especially, remote generators require miles of nuts-and-bolts infrastructure to get the power to population centres.

In California eco-protesters, have delayed, or halted completion of new transmission lines.

* Going by Denmark's example, There's no evidence wind power actually cuts carbon emissions.

* It's real expensive. In Britain...

$1:
The Government has now accepted that the total costs of meeting the 2020 target will be £100 billion. This is the equivalent of £4,000 for every household in the country.

* In Texas it got so expensive people stopped buying it.

* There's a history of brown-outs.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:55 am

[quote="livefreeordi"]Plenty of people refer to wind farms as "eye sores". Not me.
I see them as a beautiful statement on how far mankind can come
given the chance.

Finding ways to limit the amount of bats and birds who die as a result of
collisions is a prudent measure to be sure.
Good question GT![/q

NFiddledog has correctly commented that there are other problems as well with wind farms.

Yes there are problems with wind farms, the problem with fossil fuels is not only carbon emissions, but with supply. One of these fine days we will run out of oil on this planet. This isn't a situation where we have the "luxury" of "let's sit on our ass (arse) until an energy crisis bits us in the balls" before we do something. The challenges/problems of alternative energy sources and making it affordable are things we need to attend to now before it turns out that crisis.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:29 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
NFiddledog has correctly commented that there are other problems as well with wind farms.

Yes there are problems with wind farms, the problem with fossil fuels is not only carbon emissions, but with supply. One of these fine days we will run out of oil on this planet. This isn't a situation where we have the "luxury" of "let's sit on our ass (arse) until an energy crisis bits us in the balls" before we do something. The challenges/problems of alternative energy sources and making it affordable are things we need to attend to now before it turns out that crisis.

The argument to that goes something like the best way to solve those problems is with the innovations a free market brings. Wind power could not survive at its present technological level in a free market. It's not viable. That doesn't mean free market innovation couldn't solve this problem of energy depletion, if it does indeed turn out to be one. Free market innovation has thus far proved to be the best problem solving tool we have. Forced energy solutions requiring massive government subsidization to exist can't work in the long run.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm not advocating forced energy conversion. I'm talking more about research in the science and technology BEFORE there is an energy crisis.

Yes, fossil fuels are cheaper, but we have become so used to turning on a light switch in a dark room I don't think society could survive a real energy crisis.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:41 pm

GreenTiger GreenTiger:
I'm not advocating forced energy conversion. I'm talking more about research in the science and technology BEFORE there is an energy crisis.

Yes, fossil fuels are cheaper, but we have become so used to turning on a light switch in a dark room I don't think society could survive a real energy crisis.

Think Enhanced Geothermal Systems (EGS)is the power source Canada needs to invest in.