Category: World
Posted By: commanderkai
Date: 2014-04-16 06:07:33

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 am

Hopefully they can rescue as many as they can, but...yeah, this looks bad.

Also, I hope this was an accident, but, it's rather suspicious about how quickly the ship started tilting so suddenly

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:42 am

Not looking good at all. So few seem to have got out before it sank.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 am

As this story is developing it sounds like the ferry sinking in BC from a few years back.

Seems the ship went off course to try to make up for lost time, it hit a reef and then foundered.

On a very sad note: The Principal of the high school that sent so many kids on the ferry has committed suicide. Adding yet another name to the list of victims. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:46 am

I heard a vice principal hanged himself, and that he was one of the survivors rescued.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 am

And just bad, it looks like South Korea now has it's own version of Captain Schettino. Because it looks like the captain and senior officers were some of the first off the ship all the while speakers told passengers to stay in their cabins and not evacuate.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 am

Cowardice seems to be the order of the day in some organizations. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:49 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:

Also, I hope this was an accident, but, it's rather suspicious about how quickly the ship started tilting so suddenly

Unless it was holed in some way, it is more likely of a poor design. Maybe it was overloaded, under-ballasted but the centre of moment should never be so high up in the ship to require mechanical intervention to prevent it from flipping over.

I look at a lot of those massive, box-like cruise ships that are sailing now and really wonder. Engine room fires are all the rage on those things and if the only thing keeping it upright is some powered stabilizer system, eventually, one is going to turtle with 5-6000 people on board. Naval Architects are leaning a little too heavily on gadgets and forgetting first principles so that they can cram thousands more paying punters onto their floating malls.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:21 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
commanderkai commanderkai:

Unless it was holed in some way, it is more likely of a poor design. Maybe it was overloaded, under-ballasted but the centre of moment should never be so high up in the ship to require mechanical intervention to prevent it from flipping over.

Taking a short cut through some islands, 3rd mate steering, captain somewhere else,

too fast, to hard a turn, hit a reef.

One of the vice principals who was rescued while those kids were drowning,

at least he grabbed a brain cell and hung himself.

Captain should do the same, and then they should string up Schettino.

It looks like ship's Captains need to be reminded what and where their

responsibilities really lie. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:31 pm

$1:
One of the vice principals who was rescued while those kids were drowning,

at least he grabbed a brain cell and hung himself.

How was the accident in any way shape or form his responsibility? Those who were rescued, except for the cowardly officers, survived by chance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:29 pm

He was responsible for all of the lives of those kids on that trip and he took it to heart, apparently. I don't know how Eastern cultures deal with shock but suicide seems to be an accepted part of the mix. It just piles one more tragedy on top of an already big tragedy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 pm

This is incredibly depressing... Saw the text messages translated by the CBC yesterday too. Heartbreaking stuff.

I hope they find as many people as possible... Such a large number of missing is just horrifying.

Sad to hear about the vice principal... I can understand that such a grief would play uncontrollable havoc on their minds... Sad they couldn't pull on through..

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:12 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:

I look at a lot of those massive, box-like cruise ships that are sailing now and really wonder. Engine room fires are all the rage on those things and if the only thing keeping it upright is some powered stabilizer system, eventually, one is going to turtle with 5-6000 people on board. Naval Architects are leaning a little too heavily on gadgets and forgetting first principles so that they can cram thousands more paying punters onto their floating malls.

The cruise ships are typically built with steel in the hull and lower (weight-bearing) decks while the upper decks are composed of lighter materials like aluminum, composites, and sometimes even fireproof honeycombed corrugated boarding.

This blog addresses your comments about how the architecture of the ferry may have impacted this disaster:

http://ferriesdisasters.blogspot.com/fe ... by=updated

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Thank you for that interesting link. I certainly remember some of those disasters.

Believe it or not, I took a 7 hour trip on a ferry that eventually sank (not with me on it) It was the William Carson and it went down off of the coast of Labrador. It was a good sized ship. I rode her between North Sidney,NS and Port au Basque Newfoundland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_William_Carson

Anyway, back to Korea. There are doubts that she hit something and the "crash" that was heard may have been large cargo shifting (a large tractor trailer or two?)and that stability may have been the issue. I don't know if she was a roll-on-roll off ferry but the failure of ramps on this type of vessel has also lead to their capsizing. The worst one that I am aware of is the Estonia, where the ramp literally just opened up in a heavy sea and she went down like a lead billet, killing almost 900 ... more like a sudden plane crash than athe usually gradual sinking.