canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:48 am

Title: St. Michael's launches independent review amid sexual assault investigations
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-11-19 07:07:36
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:49 am

Refresh my memory - what part of the Bible describes 'broomhandle rape'?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:08 am

Strange that the accused party start their "independent review" only after the police get involved. It's as if they didn't know what was going on. :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:32 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Not a religious problem as such. Seems more just another school that simply lets the bullies and jock shitheads run amok apparently.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:54 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Not a religious problem as such. Seems more just another school that simply lets the bullies and jock shitheads run amok apparently.

So this isn't a problem with Catholics in general.

But if it were Muslims, people would be losing their shit. :idea:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

So this isn't a problem with Catholics in general.

But if it were Muslims, people would be losing their shit. :idea:

We had the same shit happen at my public high school back in the 1980's and it's just like Thanos said, the fucking bullies and jocks got to torture whoever they wanted to torture.

It didn't get any better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:06 am

Doesn't need to be made into a religious issue when that kind of psychotic levels of bullying are commonplace at all schools, religious and secular alike. In the rest of the news they've got an Ottawa school where it's been revealed that at least three teachers over the decades were sexually attacking the students and it was a public school, not a Catholic one. Baylor, a religious college, rightfully got raked over the coals for their own football/rapist scandal but the University of Florida (one of the most infamous party schools in all of the United States) didn't get in any shit at all despite big-time football hero Jameis Winston having multiple credible accusations of rape made against him. Accusations that the school paid off to settle in order to keep the team winning. And now Jameis, a fucking sociopathic rapist if there ever was one, is in the NFL earning $10 million a year to QB a really shitty team.

They should post the sports teams records of that school in the original article. If the jockos are all consistently winning their games then that right there is reason enough alone as to why they got away with what they were doing. In this case, as easy or apt as it is to blame religion in too many other cases, it looks more like disinterested school admin or an admin that is too willing to look away from what the kids on the sports teams were up to is far more of a cause than anything that was being taught from the Bible.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 am

Thanos Thanos:
They should post the sports teams records of that school in the original article. If the jockos are all consistently winning their games then that right there is reason enough alone as to why they got away with what they were doing. In this case, as easy or apt as it is to blame religion in too many other cases, it looks more like disinterested school admin or an admin that is too willing to look away from what the kids on the sports teams were up to is far more of a cause than anything that was being taught from the Bible.

That's my point T. It's not a religion thing, unless it's involving Muslims. Then it is, to some.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:20 am

Kind of an un-necessary red herring to toss into this thread though.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 am

Thanos Thanos:

Perhaps. But sometimes you only have a few topics in which to compare how religion is actually treated in the supposedly secular society. Bring this up in "Bad Muslim" thread would have equally been from left field. Except, I never read and I'm never going to post in that thread. ;)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:39 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

Perhaps. But sometimes you only have a few topics in which to compare how religion is actually treated in the supposedly secular society. Bring this up in "Bad Muslim" thread would have equally been from left field. Except, I never read and I'm never going to post in that thread. ;)

I wasn't going to bring it up but since you went there...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pakistan-i ... stigation/

$1:
Sexual abuse rampant at Pakistan's Islamic schools

KEHRORE PAKKA, Pakistan -- Kausar Parveen struggles through tears as she remembers the blood-soaked pants of her 9-year-old son, raped by a religious cleric. Each time she begins to speak, she stops, swallows hard, wipes her tears and begins again.

The boy fidgets with his scarf and looks over at his mother.

"Did he touch you?' He nods. "Did he hurt you when he touched you?" ''Yes," he whispers.

"Did he rape you?" He buries his face in his scarf and nods yes.

Sexual abuse is a pervasive and longstanding problem at madrassas in Pakistan, an Associated Press investigation has found. But in a culture where clerics are powerful, it is seldom discussed or even acknowledged in public.

It is even more seldom prosecuted, according to the investigation, based on police documents and dozens of interviews with victims, families, officials and aid groups. Police are often paid off not to pursue justice against clerics, victims' families say. And cases rarely make it past the courts, because Pakistan's legal system allows the victim's family to "forgive" the offender and accept what is often referred to as "blood money."

A tally of cases reported in newspapers over the past 10 years of sexual abuse by maulvis or clerics and other religious officials came to 359. That represents "barely the tip of the iceberg," says Munizae Bano, executive director of Sahil, the organization that scours the newspapers.

In 2004, a Pakistani official disclosed more than 500 complaints of sexual assaults against young boys in madrassas. He has since refused to talk.

Two officials familiar with the madrassas said sexual abuse there happens all the time. They asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution from militant groups.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:47 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

Exactly my point. Catholics, "boys being boys'. Muslims . . .

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:51 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Thanos Thanos:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pakistan-i ... stigation/

$1:
Sexual abuse rampant at Pakistan's Islamic schools

KEHRORE PAKKA, Pakistan -- Kausar Parveen struggles through tears as she remembers the blood-soaked pants of her 9-year-old son, raped by a religious cleric. Each time she begins to speak, she stops, swallows hard, wipes her tears and begins again.

The boy fidgets with his scarf and looks over at his mother.

"Did he touch you?' He nods. "Did he hurt you when he touched you?" ''Yes," he whispers.

"Did he rape you?" He buries his face in his scarf and nods yes.

Sexual abuse is a pervasive and longstanding problem at madrassas in Pakistan, an Associated Press investigation has found. But in a culture where clerics are powerful, it is seldom discussed or even acknowledged in public.

It is even more seldom prosecuted, according to the investigation, based on police documents and dozens of interviews with victims, families, officials and aid groups. Police are often paid off not to pursue justice against clerics, victims' families say. And cases rarely make it past the courts, because Pakistan's legal system allows the victim's family to "forgive" the offender and accept what is often referred to as "blood money."

A tally of cases reported in newspapers over the past 10 years of sexual abuse by maulvis or clerics and other religious officials came to 359. That represents "barely the tip of the iceberg," says Munizae Bano, executive director of Sahil, the organization that scours the newspapers.

In 2004, a Pakistani official disclosed more than 500 complaints of sexual assaults against young boys in madrassas. He has since refused to talk.

Two officials familiar with the madrassas said sexual abuse there happens all the time. They asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution from militant groups.

Let's stay on topic here, moderators.

We don't need another battle over which religion is worse.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:03 am

Coach85 Coach85:

I have failed in my quest to show that it's not 'religion' that does these things, it's 'people'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:08 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Coach85 Coach85:

I have failed in my quest to show that it's not 'religion' that does these things, it's 'people'.

Strange that a lot of people who say that religion does these things are the first to say that guns don't kill people... :?