bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:20 pm

BRAH BRAH:
Stephen Harper didn't care for the celebrity spotlight, selfies etc instead he focused on the job he was elected for and liked kittens...

...for dinner. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:22 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Still better than the four choices we have... :|

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give Trump a 0, Hillary a 1, the others I don't know enough to give them a score and I'd give Harper a 5.

Now, you need to find him an American birth certificate. :?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:53 pm

raydan raydan:
BRAH BRAH:
Stephen Harper didn't care for the celebrity spotlight, selfies etc instead he focused on the job he was elected for and liked kittens...

...for dinner. :lol:

8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:39 am

Yes, Steve Harper would be a very welcome change from the Cut Throat Dowager Empress or the Loud Mouth NYC Bully.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:31 am

Mayor of NYC almost carries as much political power as Governor, funny how the Left hasn't elected a woman to that role.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:39 am

Stephen Harper was a thoroughly mediocre Prime Minister.

His tax cuts failed to accomplish much besides increasing the deficits and national debt, he seriously damaged public acceptance of pipeline building, he wrecked important sources of data used by governments and private agencies alike, he bungled relations with Indigenous peoples and left things as polarized as they ever were, he actively screwed over Alberta with things like his proposed Senate reforms (which thankfully never passed), he made a mockery of Parliament by ramming through huge omnibus bills, the only reason he "guided" Canada through the Great Recession was by taking credit for the things the Liberals and the NDP forced him to do that *really* helped us weather the storm and his leaving Alberta with one of the highest number of judicial vacancies in the country, and he only "balanced" the budget by cooking the books and on the backs of Canadians.

That said, I can also tip my hat to all the things that Harper did well that I agree with.

He tightened official language requirements for immigrants, he revamped the Criminal Code by removing ridiculous statutes like the "faint hope" clause, he made more of an effort to increase Canada's presence in the Arctic than any previous leader I've seen, he revamped our laws on identity theft, some of his tax changes were very good ones, such as TFSAs and the benefits for families with disabled members, he fixed the holes in the Liberals' gay marriage reforms, he killed the long gun registry, and he legislated permanent infrastructure funding for municipalities through the federal gas tax.

All of these things are good, worthwhile bread and butter issues that I hope Justin Trudeau keeps in place.

More than that, Harper should also at least be respected for being willing to make the sacrifices the job would demand of him and even moreso his family. Pierre and Margaret Trudeau showed how tough Canadian politics can be on a marriage, From all accounts, though, the Harper family seems to have handled it all right. Better still, Harper will probably have more time for them.
One thing that every Prime Minister who has ever governed Canada can agree on is that this country can be a bitch to govern. Stephen Harper learned it the hard way, and now Justin Trudeau is doing so. The job is demanding and stressful, not just for the person holding it but also for their loved ones.

Stephen Harper was not the best prime minister, but to hold the office for nine years requires guts, determination and tactical smarts.

That fact alone deserves respect.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:55 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
Stephen Harper was a thoroughly mediocre Prime Minister.

His tax cuts failed to accomplish much besides increasing the deficits and national debt, he seriously damaged public acceptance of pipeline building, he wrecked important sources of data used by governments and private agencies alike, he bungled relations with Indigenous peoples and left things as polarized as they ever were, he actively screwed over Alberta with things like his proposed Senate reforms (which thankfully never passed), he made a mockery of Parliament by ramming through huge omnibus bills, the only reason he "guided" Canada through the Great Recession was by taking credit for the things the Liberals and the NDP forced him to do that *really* helped us weather the storm and his leaving Alberta with one of the highest number of judicial vacancies in the country, and he only "balanced" the budget by cooking the books and on the backs of Canadians.

That said, I can also tip my hat to all the things that Harper did well that I agree with.

He tightened official language requirements for immigrants, he revamped the Criminal Code by removing ridiculous statutes like the "faint hope" clause, he made more of an effort to increase Canada's presence in the Arctic than any previous leader I've seen, he revamped our laws on identity theft, some of his tax changes were very good ones, such as TFSAs and the benefits for families with disabled members, he fixed the holes in the Liberals' gay marriage reforms, he killed the long gun registry, and he legislated permanent infrastructure funding for municipalities through the federal gas tax.

All of these things are good, worthwhile bread and butter issues that I hope Justin Trudeau keeps in place.

More than that, Harper should also at least be respected for being willing to make the sacrifices the job would demand of him and even moreso his family. Pierre and Margaret Trudeau showed how tough Canadian politics can be on a marriage, From all accounts, though, the Harper family seems to have handled it all right. Better still, Harper will probably have more time for them.
One thing that every Prime Minister who has ever governed Canada can agree on is that this country can be a bitch to govern. Stephen Harper learned it the hard way, and now Justin Trudeau is doing so. The job is demanding and stressful, not just for the person holding it but also for their loved ones.

Stephen Harper was not the best prime minister, but to hold the office for nine years requires guts, determination and tactical smarts.

That fact alone deserves respect.

R=UP Giving any politician respect sits in my craw a bit, especially for the attributes you mention. Bank robbers need the same ones. Harper did some things I agree with, some I don't, but I'm glad he's gone. I think he was making the country a much angrier place.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:13 am

This CBC Hack Comedian thinks it's funny to mock Harper being thrown into a closet during the Terrorist attack on Parliament, a Terrorist attack where more innocent people could have died. If this happens again Trudeau better be thrown in a closet because protecting the Prime Minister regardless of what political party he or she is from is vital.

Attachments:
Cq1UBNmVIAASu5O.jpg
Cq1UBNmVIAASu5O.jpg [ 119.5 KiB | Viewed 34 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:46 pm

BRAH BRAH:
This CBC Hack Comedian thinks it's funny to mock Harper being thrown into a closet during the Terrorist attack on Parliament, a Terrorist attack where more innocent people could have died. If this happens again Trudeau better be thrown in a closet because protecting the Prime Minister regardless of what political party he or she is from is vital.

Idiots like him, and his leftie fan base, have no fucking clue what a protective detail job is, nor the actions that are to be taken when the subject is potentially in grave danger.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Chill out you 2, I know you don't have much of a sense of humour but at least try. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:54 pm

He ran for the seat and has an obligation to his constituents to finish out his term regardless of whether his party won or he is the leader of it anymore. The fact that he has decided to step down mid-term just demonstrates that he was in it for selfish reasons and his ego cant handle playing second fiddle.

He was in it for the power and not the people. Good riddance asshole. I hope none like you are ever able to reach that level again.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:32 pm

raydan raydan:
Chill out you 2, I know you don't have much of a sense of humour but at least try. :lol:

Hey, they're providing humor by getting so steamed up about a comedian mocking a politician. ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 pm

raydan raydan:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give Trump a 0, Hillary a 1, the others I don't know enough to give them a score and I'd give Harper a 5.

Now me I'd give Trump a 0 and Hillary -1.

Harper I'd have to rate differently. I remember him more by term. 1st term Harper I was happy with so +7.

2nd term Harper less so but tolerable + 5.

However #3rd term Harper.... Image

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm with BCF on 3rd term Harper. And then some.

$1:
Mixed feelings, he wasn’t all bad but… IncreMENTALism was just plain mental.

He failed to sell off the CBC.

Failed to reign in the predatory public service unions which under PM Useful Idiot will rob us all blind in a mirror image of Two Mommies extortion racket in Ontario.

The Temporary Foreign Workers Program fiasco, an absolute betrayal of Canadians, happened under his watch.

Multiculturalism should have been tossed into the dustbin of history where it belongs, instead the conservatives attempted to use it like any other brokerage party with nothing much to show for it other than to reveal they were capable of talking out of both sides of their mouth at the same time.

Canada’s Muslim population was nearly doubled during the Conservative tenure… and we all know or should by now know that Islam’s vibrant diversity is costing this country billions per year to contain.

PM Useful Idiot will on the advice of his trainers make far more dramatic and far more damaging changes to Canada than any of the media spun horror stories Harper ever ventured, whether it’s how we vote or how we’re allowed to think count on Justin the Dim to inflict real damage.

The conservatives did defang the Kangaroo Court by getting rid of Section 13, but that was a private members bill.

On abortion, he paved the way for Justin’s normalization of the abattoir.

As for the “New Direction” the federal conservative party appears to be headed in – All the good luck and best wishes in the world won’t be enough to get you elected.

http://www.blazingcatfur.ca/2016/08/26/ ... ids-adieu/

Or maybe he was just better as leader in a minority government.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:52 pm

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
raydan raydan:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Now me I'd give Trump a 0 and Hillary -1.

Harper I'd have to rate differently. I remember him more by term. 1st term Harper I was happy with so +7.

2nd term Harper less so but tolerable + 5.

However #3rd term Harper.... Image

As little (and I do mean little) as I want to see Hillary as the next president, I know that Trump can't beat her. There are probably quite a few potential Republican hopefuls that could though.

Trump is a maroon, an ignoranimus, a gull-a-bull, a nin-cow-poop. :lol: