Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Brenda Brenda:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Perhaps even ban dual citizenship outright.

It is not up to Canada. The country of origin decides whether their citizens who take on another citizenship get to keep their original ones. Morocco does not allow for their citizens to give up theirs.
Would you now not allow Moroccans to immigrate to Canada?

Interesting, TIL. I wasn't aware a country can stop someone from giving up their citizenship. How do they stop them?

I don't have the option to keep mine.

Morocco simply will never allow it. You can want to give it up, but you can't. You can burn your passport, but you will always be Moroccan. Your request to give it up will be denied.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:04 pm

There are many countries that restrict dual citizenship.

No reason we couldn't do it if we decided to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:12 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:

The Netherlands does not allow it. For their citizens. Which means that when a Dutchie wants to take on another citizenship, they have to give up their Dutch ones. But immigrants to the Netherlands who want to take on the Dutch one cannot be obligated to give up their original one.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Brenda Brenda:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

The Netherlands does not allow it. For their citizens. Which means that when a Dutchie wants to take on another citizenship, they have to give up their Dutch ones. But immigrants to the Netherlands who want to take on the Dutch one cannot be obligated to give up their original one.

How nonsensical.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:48 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
Brenda Brenda:
saturn_656 saturn_656:

How nonsensical.

Can't change the law of another country just because you want to change yours...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:50 pm

[ Are the Americas aware of that phenomenon? ]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:55 pm

The Netherlands could always refuse to recognize their former citizenship once they attained their Dutch citizenship. Or just forbid it for those who can't/won't renounce their current citizenship.

It would be a little more consistent than two different sets of rules.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

saturn_656 saturn_656:
The Netherlands could always refuse to recognize their former citizenship once they attained their Dutch citizenship. Or just forbid it for those who can't/won't renounce their current citizenship.

It would be a little more consistent than two different sets of rules.

There are no 2 different sets of rules. Citizens can give up their Dutch citizenship by taking on another one. New citizens are being encouraged to give up their original ones.
Some do, some don't.
I am not becoming a Canadian citizen because I do not want to give up my Dutch one. I am a PR. What is different there?
The Netherlands can revoke Dutch citizenship from dual citizens and kick them out. If I become Canadian, you will be stuck with me till the day I die, regardless of my behaviour. As long as I stay PR, you can kick me out.

And again, that has nothing to do with Canada, because Canada allows dual citizenship. Even if Canada didn't, Canada can not tell me to give up my Dutch.

I can however become a dual citizen if I marry a Canadian citizen. That will be allowed by the Dutch government :lol:
My kids can become dual citizens if one of their parents is Canadian (whether born, by marriage, or taken on by taking the test). That too, is allowed.
Now THAT is messed up.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks I'll keep my dual citizenship although were it a requirement to give up my British citizenship to become Canadian I probably would have done it even then at the age of 13. Having said that I abide by the laws of my adopted country, I love my adopted country and I realize my Canadian citizenship is an honour bestowed on to me by my fellow Canadians and that I feel that they have the right to revoke my Canadian citizenship should I prove to be unworthy of such. It would appear that I love and respect this country more than Mr. Trudeau...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:41 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:
I love my adopted country and I realize my Canadian citizenship is an honour bestowed on to me by my fellow Canadians and that I feel that they have the right to revoke my Canadian citizenship should I prove to be unworthy of such. It would appear that I love and respect this country more than Mr. Trudeau...

R=UP

You must spread your reputation point to other users before giving to the same user.
:evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm

martin14 martin14:
ccga3359 ccga3359:
I love my adopted country and I realize my Canadian citizenship is an honour bestowed on to me by my fellow Canadians and that I feel that they have the right to revoke my Canadian citizenship should I prove to be unworthy of such. It would appear that I love and respect this country more than Mr. Trudeau...

R=UP

You must spread your reputation point to other users before giving to the same user.
:evil:

Got it covered for you.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:54 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Brenda Brenda:
CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Perhaps even ban dual citizenship outright.

It is not up to Canada. The country of origin decides whether their citizens who take on another citizenship get to keep their original ones. Morocco does not allow for their citizens to give up theirs.
Would you now not allow Moroccans to immigrate to Canada?

Interesting, TIL. I wasn't aware a country can stop someone from giving up their citizenship. How do they stop them?

Not all countries do this. Stopping them is simple, they just keep them on record as a citizen. Now just hope you don't go back for a visit after skipping mandatory military service in some countries. I know of a guy who showed up in Israel for a visit and was told when he arrived to report for duty or jail.

Most countries allow you to revoke citizenship if you can prove you have one or will get one from another country. We could, if we wanted, just focus on getting people from those countries to revoke theirs however it tends to be the problem countries who don't allow people to revoke.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
[ Are the Americas aware of that phenomenon? ]

Reply of the day here!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:27 pm

ccga3359 ccga3359:
Thanks I'll keep my dual citizenship although were it a requirement to give up my British citizenship to become Canadian I probably would have done it even then at the age of 13. Having said that I abide by the laws of my adopted country, I love my adopted country and I realize my Canadian citizenship is an honour bestowed on to me by my fellow Canadians and that I feel that they have the right to revoke my Canadian citizenship should I prove to be unworthy of such. It would appear that I love and respect this country more than Mr. Trudeau...

Or not. Your Britishness is showing.
Citizenship is not a mere sheet of paper or decree beholden to the whims of whatever lot of arseholes form gov't.
It's people who just can't live with the fact some citizens are scumbags that don't respect Canada and wish to cheapen the meaning of citizenship.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
What the hell is it with Liberal leaders defending terrorists?

I know. That's the NDP's schtick.