canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Title: Supreme Court rules Ottawa has no duty to consult with Indigenous people before drafting laws
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-10-11 08:05:18
Canadian

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

I'd all but given up on our Supreme Court and it's bias to wards anyone but Canadians. This ruling gives me some hope that sanity has returned. I do not that the two women who dissented were Liberal appointees - quelle surprise.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins

I'd all but given up on our Supreme Court and it's bias to wards anyone but Canadians. This ruling gives me some hope that sanity has returned. I do not that the two women who dissented were Liberal appointees - quelle surprise.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:50 pm

Newsbot wrote:

Finally, a small win for sanity. Unfortunately it's likely to fall on deaf ears in Ottawa because if past history is any indicator of future actions, I fully expect the current gov't to continue with their policy of asking permission from every Native in Canada before they do anything, including the drafting of new laws.

I'm also waiting for Perry Bellegarde and the Assembly of First Nations to voice their displeasure with the SCoC's ruling because, that will then put PM Appeaser in the hot seat especially given his promise repeal all laws made unilaterally by the Conservatives.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:03 am

Yeah, just because the court says they don't have to doesn't mean they won't. Trudeau's trapped by his own rhetoric on this one so he's obligated to continue with what he's started no matter how much more investment and how many more large economy-boosting projects never get off the ground.

I don't trust Scheer all that much either on any of these issues - it was lone Tory MP's like Michelle Rempel that went after the Liberals over the Transmountain disaster while the party itself was kind of just standing there with their mouths open going "huh? wut?". Trying to pin the Conservatives down on any sort of climate policy is almost impossible. Even if they get elected and get rid of half of Trudeau's job-killing policies and regulations the playing field to get project of any sort built will still be wildly skewed in favour of the Natives, enviro-kooks, and other assorted anti-this anti-that's of all types. Just look at the damage a single prick like Denis Coderre was able to cause and that was before things like C-69 even made it to a Liberal committee table.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:15 am

I'm happy to see a sensible ruling here. §35 of the Constitution Act doesn't say anything about consultation. It just says that the rights and treaties shall be "recognized and affirmed".

I can see PM Chamberlain Trudeau trying to pull some manner of parliamentary bullshittery to either change the law or overturn the ruling.