canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am

Title: Surprise guilty plea for Oakland Twp. cancer doctor over false treatments, fraud
Category: Health
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2014-09-18 11:28:10

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:42 am

I prefer this one from when he was first charged

'Death doctor' accused of misdiagnosing cancer patients to scam millions

"Dr Farid Fata - who is accused of ordering unnecessary treatments for his patients, such as chemotherapy, to enrich himself through insurance programs - made an application in the federal court to have his bond reduced from $9 million to $500,000 so he could leave prison, where he has been held since August 6.

However the move backfired for the 45-year-old, who works out of metropolitan Detroit, with a judge today removing Fata's bond completely, based on the 'serious risk' he would leave America for his native country, Lebanon, if given the chance.

The prosecution successfully claimed that not all of Fata's considerable assets had been seized since his arrest and that he could fund a trip overseas for himself and his wife.

'We can't be sure how much money he has out there,' prosecutor Catherine Dick said .

It is alleged Fata received about $35 million from Medicare via his insurance scam over a two year period.

The government alleges that Fata exposed numerous patients to powerful cancer-fighting drugs when they didn't have cancer, which he denies.

Outside court today about a dozen people protested his possible release.

Signs read,'Without fail Fata will jump bail' and 'No bond for death doctor'.

One woman, Michelle Mannarino held a sign with a picture of her late mother, Joan Donohue, 76, and the message, "I trusted him once with her life."

Mannarino said Fata insisted on months of chemotherapy even after her mother's breast cancer was in remission. Donohue died of kidney failure in 2010.

'I believe we'd still have her today,' Mannarino said.

Angela Swantek, an oncology nurse who spent time at one of Fata's clinics, told ABC News that she first complained to investigators about Fata's alleged wrongdoings as far back as 2010.

'I don't know how he's gotten away with it for this long,' she told ABC News. 'I was disgusted. I got in the car, I was still sitting in the parking lot and I was truly almost in tears just because of what I saw and how patients were getting their chemotherapy.'