CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:10 am

I'm in the Reserve and we've just got 6 people who returned from Afghanistan and most of what I said is what they told me.

You're going to contradict what soldiers said? You think I need more research than asking people who have been in those skirmishes?

Why are you telling me to do research, when you obviously have done no more than me? Why don't you back your statements with research? Do you have any peer-reviewed studies? Do you have any Afghanistan reports?

You fail to grasp the situation in Afghanistan, it's not anything as simple as you make it sound.

Last note; "Did I state it had a impact? No I diddn't, however I do think it does do a impact on kids and villages." Really nice contradiction there...

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:41 am

mapleleafsnation mapleleafsnation:
I'm in the Reserve and we've just got 6 people who returned from Afghanistan and most of what I said is what they told me.

You're going to contradict what soldiers said? You think I need more research than asking people who have been in those skirmishes?

Why are you telling me to do research, when you obviously have done no more than me? Why don't you back your statements with research? Do you have any peer-reviewed studies? Do you have any Afghanistan reports?

You fail to grasp the situation in Afghanistan, it's not anything as simple as you make it sound.

Last note; "Did I state it had a impact? No I diddn't, however I do think it does do a impact on kids and villages." Really nice contradiction there...

"I'm in the Reserve and we've just got 6 people who returned from Afghanistan and most of what I said is what they told me."

My family has a big military history, my Grandpa was a 2ndLT in the reserves and was one of the few who setup all that shit in artic to detect any invasion from Russia or any other country. I have pictures of it. I also have a friend of the family who lives in the next street from mine who served in Afghanistan twice. I get facts from him about the war, I also read a lot of articles about it and watch a lot of videos. Are you contradicting what soldiers said, what reporters reported on and what videos videotape?

"Why are you telling me to do research, when you obviously have done no more than me?"

I have actually done research on it, but doesn't "When you obviously have done no more than me?" Clearly state that you haven't done research on it? :roll:

"Why don't you back your statements with research?"
Why don't you? lol, kind of hard to push that one on me when you don't do it either. Can only call somebody on that if you provide research and he doesn't.

"Do you have any peer-reviewed studies? Do you have any Afghanistan reports?"
You are posting on a site that is the Granddaddy of News and Articles. If you want to view them, just dig for them. For the ones that I views that aren't on this site. I don't save war articles so again, if you want them go dig for them because I am not re-researching them unless you provide research to prove your points. Otherwise, I rather waste my time doing something else. However if you are so determined to view them, I believe CKA has a search engine?

"Really nice contradiction there..."
Not really, you stated that I said it made a impact or you atleast made it sound that way. That post was a reply to that, stating that I never made that comment in my previous post. Then I get off of that and state that I do think it makes a impact however to only kids and villages as they are usually the poorest.

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:33 pm

Because a friend from a family (this sounds alot like a friend of a friend told me) and a Grandfather who served years ago compares to 6 soldiers who came back after January (not going to say exact date for anonymity's sake).

I'm not contradicting what soldiers said, as I'm stating their beliefs.

In my first post I mentioned a chapter in a book written by PhD Brym. You overlooked that it seems.

Also I don't consider news article as research. Actually if you were to use those at university level by themselves as a literature review, you would definitely be looked down upon. News article are secondary sources (I read the newspaper daily on week days, I don't consider this to be research).

You did not provide any research to support your points either, so by your logic I shouldn't have to look up anything either (nice circle we got there). However let me be the first.

https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/social_fo ... .4brym.pdf

This is a link to an actually peer-reviewed study on suicide bombers done by Doctor Brym. It focuses mainly on the Second Intifada but it can help understand Afghanistan. Note that if you can't access it well though luck, database of peer-reviewed articles are usually pay-to use and I'm not going to give you my account.

https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/internati ... nevers.pdf

This article supports some of my points about the strategy to adopt in Afghanistan. Note that it is also peer-reviewed. It talks about NATO's role in the war on terrorism.

"As Afghanistan enters its sixth year since the overthrow of Taliban rule, the violent comeback campaign by Islamic insurgents is dominating headlines." (Constable, 2007). This article, published one year ago (2nd of April 2007) starts like this. It goes on to argue that the Tablibans presence in Afghanistan is not weakening as much as many Westerners (like you) seem to think. This study is also peer-reviewed.

Do you need me to spend more time finding actual scholarly, peer-reviwed sources that support my points? Or are you going to show me your online blogs/articles that support your points?

You also tell me to dig up articles on this site, but the ones you use are not on the site. This is quite confusing, as I want to see where you get your information from.

I repeat myself.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Because a friend from a family (this sounds alot like a friend of a friend told me) and a Grandfather who served years ago compares to 6 soldiers who came back after January (not going to say exact date for anonymity's sake).

I'm not contradicting what soldiers said, as I'm stating their beliefs.

In my first post I mentioned a chapter in a book written by PhD Brym. You overlooked that it seems.

Also I don't consider news article as research. Actually if you were to use those at university level by themselves as a literature review, you would definitely be looked down upon. News article are secondary sources (I read the newspaper daily on week days, I don't consider this to be research).

You did not provide any research to support your points either, so by your logic I shouldn't have to look up anything either (nice circle we got there). However let me be the first.

https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/social_fo ... .4brym.pdf

This is a link to an actually peer-reviewed study on suicide bombers done by Doctor Brym. It focuses mainly on the Second Intifada but it can help understand Afghanistan. Note that if you can't access it well though luck, database of peer-reviewed articles are usually pay-to use and I'm not going to give you my account.

https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/internati ... nevers.pdf

This article supports some of my points about the strategy to adopt in Afghanistan. Note that it is also peer-reviewed. It talks about NATO's role in the war on terrorism.

"As Afghanistan enters its sixth year since the overthrow of Taliban rule, the violent comeback campaign by Islamic insurgents is dominating headlines." (Constable, 2007). This article, published one year ago (2nd of April 2007) starts like this. It goes on to argue that the Tablibans presence in Afghanistan is not weakening as much as many Westerners (like you) seem to think. This study is also peer-reviewed.

Do you need me to spend more time finding actual scholarly, peer-reviwed sources that support my points? Or are you going to show me your online blogs/articles that support your points?

You also tell me to dig up articles on this site, but the ones you use are not on the site. This is quite confusing, as I want to see where you get your information from.

I repeat myself.

Your first post was this...

You think that the death of soldiers doesn't have an impact on the population view of the war?

Mind showing me where you mentioned a book?

"I'm not contradicting what soldiers said, as I'm stating their beliefs."

Oh right, so when I quote actual soldiers who served terms in Afghanistan. I am contradicting, but when you do it. Its completly fine. :roll:

"Also I don't consider news article as research. Actually if you were to use those at university level by themselves as a literature review, you would definitely be looked down upon. News article are secondary sources (I read the newspaper daily on week days, I don't consider this to be research)."

Your joking right? You do realize that most articles are written and backed by evidence right? Some even go down to the war zones to get there story. Others talk to real soldiers. News Articles are legit sources, most of the time but not everything is news articles. There are just plain articles.

"You did not provide any research to support your points either, so by your logic I shouldn't have to look up anything either (nice circle we got there). However let me be the first."

Correction, YOU were the one who wanted the research I did. So what I was saying was, if you wanted it then you should spend your time researching it instead of me wasting my time doing it. You were also calling on me to provide research and trying smashing me based on that.

"https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/social_forces/v084/84.4brym.pdf"
What does this have to do with our Arguement, or Afghanistan. That is about Palestine and Israel. Mind clearing that up for me? What does Palestinian Suicide Bombers got to do with our Arguement?

"https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/international_security/v031/31.4denevers.pdf"
Again what does this have to do with our Arguement? It still isn't even about Afghanistan. This time all it is, is a description of NATO. Mind clearing this one up?

"Do you need me to spend more time finding actual scholarly, peer-reviwed sources that support my points? Or are you going to show me your online blogs/articles that support your points?"

You never provided any 'sources' that support your points. The two things you posted diddn't even have anything to do with our arguement or your points. Unless theres more article that you can only see with a Account? However even though those two things are worthless to the arguement, since you posted them I will re-dig up my sources then.

"You also tell me to dig up articles on this site, but the ones you use are not on the site. This is quite confusing, as I want to see where you get your information from."

How do you know which ones I viewed? I am a little confused here, also how do you know they are not on the site. You realize that digging for them would have taken a lot longer then you spent right? Those articles are dug in deep into the sites archives as they were posted quite awhile ago. I get my information from multiple sources, I try to refrain from one source only like muse.jhu.edu

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm

http://www.bloggingtories.ca/btFrameset ... 0promising
- "Killing or capturing Dadullah would be a major victory for the Afghan government and its foreign backers. A NATO airstrike killed senior Taliban commander Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Osmani in southern Helmand province in December."
- "Capturing or killing a Taliban command has a huge benefit and crushing blow to Taliban morale."

http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=5247
- "A top Afghan insurgent leader operating from inside Pakistan sent some 200 ill-equipped fighters, some wearing plastic bags on their feet, into Afghanistan where most were killed in a major battle this week, a top US general said on Saturday."
- "Freakley said that one of the enemies in the Afghan Pakistan border area is unemployment."
- "“It is clear to me that some of these men were just either collected in a poor part of a village or perhaps from a Madrassa or perhaps from a refugee camp and told to come fight,” he said."
- "Freakley said it was likely the insurgent fighters meant to attack a new military outpost near the village of Marghah that has affected insurgent infiltration routes."

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/ ... 60920.html
- "Jones said it is unclear how quickly the Taliban dead will be replaced with fresh fighters. He stressed that he was not counting casual, short-term recruits. "They bring along a lot of other weekend warriors if they can pay for them. [They] say, 'Do you want to make 200 euros or $200?' Actually, they pay dollars.""

http://www.canadaka.net/modules.php?nam ... ic&t=17823
- "So far this month, NATO forces in the south have killed over a thousand Taliban gunmen, wounded more than that, overrun several Taliban camps, captured over a hundred Taliban and seized large quantities of documents and equipment. The Taliban have used large units in this area to scare off the police and enable terror teams to work on the civilians. In one case, a force of 400 Taliban crossed the Pakistan border and tried to take control of a district. But the swift appearance of NATO troops forced the Taliban to disperse and flee."
- "After two weeks of getting hammered like this, the Taliban have announced that they are dispersing their forces in the south, in the face of the NATO offensive."

This was just a 10 minute search, which practicly proves most of my basic arguements in page 1. I will have much, much more by tomorrow.