Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:07 pm

Title: The Canadian Forces, a "ghost army"
Category: Military
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2009-07-03 11:51:44
Canadian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:07 pm

The crunch is true, and you can feel the exhaustion and shortage of personnel on the bases.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:01 pm

Reading the headline, I thought ghost army was going to be a good thing.... Dammit. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:36 pm

We're still paying for Mulroney's early retirements in 1990.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:48 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
We're still paying for Mulroney's early retirements in 1990.

And Chretiens policies. Airborne, EH101, rust out......

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:03 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:16 pm

It just make me laugh how some of the Lib voters on the forum try to blame any problems in the military on the Chin, but ignore all the damage Chretien did.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:32 pm

I think we can handle the challenge, we always have. (do i actually need to give examples; for all of those out there who have even a basic knowledge of our Army's history, I think not)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:29 pm

The Navy is in the exact same situation, if it wasnt for mid-life refits starting next year we would be in serious trouble personnel-wise.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:20 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
It just make me laugh how some of the Lib voters on the forum try to blame any problems in the military on the Chin, but ignore all the damage Chretien did.

I think the Chin ( :lol: ) gets the wrath because he was chopping left and right, the Thatcher-Reagan philosophy in full stride. Chretien was too busy trying to pad his buddies' wallets and choke folks to really pay much attention to anything else. Mulroney was more of an "active chopper", while Chretien was just asleep at the switch.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:22 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:

I think the Chin ( :lol: ) gets the wrath because he was chopping left and right, the Thatcher-Reagan philosophy in full stride. Chretien was too busy trying to pad his buddies' wallets and choke folks to really pay much attention to anything else. Mulroney was more of an "active chopper", while Chretien was just asleep at the switch.

Actually Chretien wasn't asleep at the switch. He was simply tasked with reversing the countries deficit and debt. He couldn't do that and repair the damage Mulroney did. It was at the behest of Martin though that funding really went back into the CF although he gets no credit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Derby, me old mate, just took you off "ignore" as you seem to have an interest in my posts right now.

Justify the the disbanding of the Canadian Airborne, a proud regiment with a war record second to none, and the EH 101 cancellation that we paid $500,000,000 for in 1995 for nothing.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Derby, me old mate, just took you off "ignore" as you seem to have an interest in my posts right now.

Justify the the disbanding of the Canadian Airborne, a proud regiment with a war record second to none, and the EH 101 cancellation that we paid $500,000,000 for in 1995 for nothing.

No. You know full well that despite having me on ignore you are reading all my posts and dropping comments like the one that got you a warning. If you want to ignore me then do so. Don't follow me around and post "I like the ignore function" every time I debate somebody.

1) I have always said that disbanding the Airborne was wrong and a black mark against the Libs. Of course that was before so called airborne guys posted that they have always hated the Libs and their entire unit despised them. After that I'd have to say that you reap what you sow.

2) Cancelling the EH 101. That cost to implement was 10X the penalty. Unless you are completely out of touch then you should recall just how badly we were in debt. Hell the Libs are vilified for the debt measures they did take but it was necessary. Bankrupt countries cannot support any military whatsoever.

3) Your hatred for the Libs borders on hysterical at times. Paul Martin did exactly what you military loving cons wanted. He was the man who really put the spending back in and he was the man who saw us go into greater combat roles but for his trouble all he got was vilification by people like you.

Hell, your comment "I would punch out any politician I met in a pub" says it all doesn't it. For all your crap about hating people who display that very attitude towards cops and/or soldiers you are every bit as guilty as them. You, a supposed police office in good standing would commit felonious assault on any serving Canadian politician based on your own person belief. Thats no different then everybody you rail against whom you say "hates cops and/or soldiers"

4) I think the greatest threat to military funding are people like you. You vilify all the other parties with the worst insults about how they all hate the military and give no credit when they do the right thing then excuse people like Harper who had all the money and momentum he wanted to "really" fund the military but instead broke promises left and right.

Edited by mods...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Political points resubmitted for clarity.

1) Yes the Airborne disbandment was wrong and a black mark against the Libs. However given that former airborne members have openly posted about how the unit was composed almost entirely by Liberal hating conservatives I'd have to say "you reap what you sow".

2) The EH 101. We were massively in debt and Mulroney (well Kim anyway) only promised big spending hoping to win an election that was a foregone conclusion. The cost to implement that program was at least 10X the penalty and the Liberals openly campaigned on a platform to stop the purchase, a promise they kept.

3) I suggest you start holding Harper accountable to the same level you hold the libs to because he had all the money and momentum in the world to make big military purchases but he broke many key promises.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:46 pm

$1:
DerbyX wrote:Political points resubmitted for clarity.

1) Yes the Airborne disbandment was wrong and a black mark against the Libs. However given that former airborne members have openly posted about how the unit was composed almost entirely by Liberal hating conservatives I'd have to say "you reap what you sow".

Sounds like you're making excuses. It was a purely political move to satisfy a bunch of hand wringing whiners. The Airborne needed to be sorted out with a bag of shackles and the leadership held accountable - but not disbanded.

$1:
2) The EH 101. We were massively in debt and Mulroney (well Kim anyway) only promised big spending hoping to win an election that was a foregone conclusion. The cost to implement that program was at least 10X the penalty and the Liberals openly campaigned on a platform to stop the purchase, a promise they kept.

Program was required to replace helicopters in their late twenties at the time. It has now taken 15 more years to get that program back on track. I wonder, outside of the deaths, how much money has been spent keep the Sea kings in the air for that extra time on top of the replacement cost?

$1:
3) I suggest you start holding Harper accountable to the same level you hold the libs to because he had all the money and momentum in the world to make big military purchases but he broke many key promises.

Well I certainly do. But seeing as you are asking Conservatives to hold Harper responsible in the same posting as you defend the majority of actions of the Liberals... well, hypocrasy... yadda yadda yadda. It's Friday, Derby, we know the drill by now.