canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:48 am

llama66 llama66:
Mechanical Trees that scrub the air like filters scrub the air on the space shuttle or a nuclear submarine.

Not efficient enough.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... bill-gates

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
What if warming is a natural trend and we fuck it up by sequestering CO2 and starting a new ice age? :?:

It isn't natural. It's been shown to you several times, including this very thread. That ship sailed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:58 am

Then make it more efficient. Innovate. Currently our tech is not efficient enough, but we're a pretty crafty species.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am

That's what that plant does - sucks CO2 out of the atmosphere faster than chemical means used in submarines, and turns it back into carbon-neutral fuels.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
What if warming is a natural trend and we fuck it up by sequestering CO2 and starting a new ice age? :?:

Every time man try's to defy nature we fuck up.

If its a natural trend then removing man-made emissions won’t affect it.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 am

It's an intriguing idea. I will say that much, but I am so jaded and cynical that I believe that human nature will find a way to screw it up. We're too fractious and argumentative a species for long-term cooperation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

It isn't natural. It's been shown to you several times, including this very thread.

No. It hasn't. C02 can add some additional warmth in an atmosphere. You can show that in a laboratory experiment.

Neither you nor anybody else has ever shown any superior evidence for why we should fear a catastrophe of anthropogenic CO2 forced warming.

There isn't enough CO2 reachable by humans to explain it. You'd have to imagine positive feedbacks from other sources. If you have to use your imagination to produce your results stop calling it data. In fact stop calling it science.

I see why you guys don't like Geologists though. Geologists tell us the earth goes through these long periods of glacial ice ages and we're way overdue for one.

Oddly enough there's even been some brief recent warming from the long warming trend we were in.

So I believe what Bart is saying is what if we agree CO2 provides some added warmth to natural trends but rather than imagine there will be positive feedbacks that will create catastrophes we imagine the other way that the added warmth of CO2 has been holding back a much greater catastrophe of cooling.

Just as a possibility, you understand.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:45 am

Don't worry guy's, when it gets colder I'm sure there will be an ice age tax

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 am

So we say there is a warming trend, but then when we look at the overall trends, it's actually a downward trend.

Note: the projected temps actually "buck" the trend of a downward trend in temperatures.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:03 am

haha logic, graphs..pfff you are facing the new religion...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:06 am

Just to be sure people understand, when I'm talking about a brief period of people friendly warm. I'm talking about the period after the melting of the great glaciers that went down as far as kansas.

I'm talking about the Holocene.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:21 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
Don't worry guy's, when it gets colder I'm sure there will be an ice age tax

True...but they'll have to change the name.

I imagine they'll just call it a death tax because the vast majority of the world's population will be dead.

And I don't have to imagine something like added warmth from water vapour to come to that conclusion. I just have to look at what happens when it gets cold.

And when it does get cold as it has done in the past I'm giving you "get down to Vegas and bet on it" certainty. People will die.

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:28 pm

Here's one of those apocalyptic predictions that failed:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blogs ... 0a727fb09d

$1:
The Independent, 2000:

Snow is starting to disappear from our lives. Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters – which scientists are attributing to global climate change – produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries … Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community … According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event". "Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

The Independent, 2013:

Stand by for icy blasts and heavy snow

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:28 am

llama66 llama66:
So we say there is a warming trend, but then when we look at the overall trends, it's actually a downward trend.

Note: the projected temps actually "buck" the trend of a downward trend in temperatures.

Except most species around now, did not evolve in those temperatures. They went extinct. Species that did exist, for example the Nautilis, have moved to cooler places to avoid the heat and follow prey which are also moving.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5338474

And one of the side effects of more CO2 in the atmosphere is higher acidity in the oceans. Animals that depend on forming shells from aqueous minerals, have problems forming a shell in a higher acid content water. That can collapse an entire food chain, from plankton to fish, to the people that depend on those species for food.

https://www.noaa.gov/education/resource ... dification

Humans have an upper limit temperature at which we can survive, and places in the middle east already approach those temperatures.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... red-earth/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:42 am

$1:
Adapt or Die, Bitches!

-Charles Darwin (probably)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 am

llama66 llama66: